Closed Thread
Community Council is pleased to announce start of Community Awards program!

maemo.org Community Awards are part of Nokia's '12 Device Program.

Community Awards (short. CA) are meant to be way of recognizing people, that, for months/years contributed - and continuously contribute - to Maemo Community. Unlike other programs, target audience of CA aren't only developers - suitable candidates include (also) dedicated testers, helpers, hardware modders, contributing participants of brainstorms and so goes on. Usually, it's a mix of all presented above.

From all submissions, Council will choose 25 winners, that will receive prize, from pool of 10 N950's and 15 N9's.

Rules for submissions are, as follows:

1. Receiving submissions will start at Monday, 28 May, 00:00 UTC. It will last for 3 weeks.

2. *Only* self-submissions are allowed, via community mailing list. Submissions may contain rationale - a short description about Your deeds for Community, but it's not required. Contributions of anyone submitting will be analyzed by Council, nevertheless.

3. Submission must contain info, if candidate is interested *only* in one particular type of prize (N950 or N9 - so, in case of not enough devices of preferred type, no prize), or if is going to be satisfied by any. also, submissions *must* contain link to TMO profile of candidate (or information about not being registered on TMO).

4. Community Awards are granted for past deeds, so no future projects/promises are considered by Council.

5. Someone, who received N950's in any form before (dev programs, etc) can't submit for/receive another one, but *can* submit for N9.

6. Winners will be chosen by Council in it's discretion, in no more than a week time (so, winners will be announced no more than four weeks after start of program).
---

Community Council would like to say huge "Thank You" to every dedicated Maemo contributor!
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-05-29 at 01:56.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Estel, the Wiki page is already in place.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
@Estel
May I know what your criteria for judging will be? I won't be applying for any of those devices, I'm not worthy. hehe I just want to know how you will choose the recipients, especially since the decision lies in your hands.

(Was this discussed in a meeting? Can you please provide the link in your first post. Thanks!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
2. *Only* self-submissions are allowed, via community mailing list. Submissions may contain rationale - a short description about Your deeds for Community, but it's not required. Contributions of anyone submitting will be analyzed by Council, nevertheless.
There are many people in the maemo community, myself included, who are not subscribed to the mailing lists so if there is someone you feel deserves the community award please encourage them to register and apply. There is an online form to register for the mailing list at the link in the OP (which is https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/list...aemo-community). The community has benefited from many people who have worked selflessly for our benefit without asking for any reward. These people will probably be very shy on putting themselves forward. Personally, I know several people who have donated coding time, money, and other gifts to the community projects and asked to be anonymous. It's unfortunate we are not able to put the case forward on their behalf, so please if you know someone like this do encourage them to reach out for this opportunity

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
I won't be applying for any of those devices, I'm not worthy.
Oh you're much too modest Vetsin

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-05-27 at 16:43.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
@Vetsin
Council will "segregate" candidates via their positive impact on maemo.org Community (as whole), and first 25 people will receive prizes. In any case, decision will be made via consensus, via internal discussions inside Council.

Community Awards is quite special, due to subjectivity of decisions-making, yet, people deserving device ale, generally, well known amongst Community members.
---

As for details, it was discussed on maemo-community@maemo.org mailing list - in fact, even before new council was elected. I encourage You to read mailing list archive - surprisingly, there wasn't any single controversy about deciding process, so I hope announcing it on TMO won't create them - thus, won't validate major concern about TMO being "flamewars incubator"

@kojacker
I also strongly encourage everyone to talk with ones You respect and think are deserving CA. Council decided, that nominations by 3rd party are going to bring more troubles and bad blood, than clean and transparent self-nominations.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
What a great community,

sadly im not a developer, goodluck to all of you guys, long live maemo,

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
What a great community,

sadly im not a developer, goodluck to all of you guys, long live maemo,
The community awards are open to everyone ibrakalifa, not just developers

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun