Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sites like cnn.com are plain screaming for me. But sites like dealnews.com are just slow. I am noticing though, once I go there once, when I go back, even with new content, it's a ton faster.

On my N810, I've found my alternative. I have had one sudden close though - it was on a Ajax heavy site. And don't even try netvibes.com - you could create a child in that delay.
Same goes for news.bbc.co.uk. Takes ages to render

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
EDIT: I noticed on my N900 when I turn on Opera Turbo it actually loads pages slower than when it's turned off.. When it's turned off it's blazingly fast!
That depends on your connection. If you're on a 3.5G connection with decent speeds(2mBit/s or higher), it probably not makes sense, but on slow connections it should be great(since the Opera servers compress some of the data and then pass it on).

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
That depends on your connection. If you're on a 3.5G connection with decent speeds(2mBit/s or higher), it probably not makes sense, but on slow connections it should be great(since the Opera servers compress some of the data and then pass it on).
I've actually noticed that too: Turbo is far worse than the normal mode for me regardless of the connection speed.

With Turbo on, the page starts to load, then gets stuck half way through and never manages to load completely (or it's so slow that I never had the patience to wait). It's as if it loaded the HTML page fine but then got stuck trying to load the CSS files and images. So all I get is an un-styled, image-less HTML page.

Normal mode on the other side is pretty damn fast and it seems to use caching far more efficiently than Micro-B.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 147 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
If a use portaitmode, zoom in on a heavy load of text (or text plus picture), and then rotate the device, Opera crashes. It is not always reproducable, but it I turn the device between landscape and portait a couple of times, Opera will crash.

@ioan : thanks, man, it works !

@Silvermountain : it's not a "illegal obtained" like u said, that's just a way for me to experience new things. Feel suck for u !!!

I find it tends to change orientation too easily. If I hold my n900 approximately level with the ground it tends to flip back and forth (and then crash) I would prefer if I had to tilt it to at least 30 degrees in one direction before it changed. Also it goes to portrait if I am holding it usb socket side down so that the picture is upside down, which is not much use.

This is absolutely brilliant!

Good things:
  • Extremely fast on 2G. With this I can start reading a page after less then 10 seconds whereas Microb takes a minute or more. Simply because Opera loads text first and displays it while images are still loading. Microb is practically useless on 2G.
  • Very fluid animations, very smooth scrolling - as long as nothing is happening in the background
  • While it doesn't seem to zoom in on css divs, it somehow manages to be just as good to read when zoomed. Stuff is arranged beautifully.

Bad things:
  • Turbo mode broken. Extremely slow
  • Eats my battery alive, N900 gets hot. Uses like 30% battery in 20 minutes.

It's still spectacular. I sure hope that energy consumption can be improved because it's really bad on the battery. Basically it weights out what 3G would use up if I was browsing using Microb.

It's amazing how fast it is on 2G, really.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Is there a bugzilla open for this, btw?

I'm experiencing the most familiar Opera bug of all (to me at least) again with this version.

When I browse around, sometimes the browser will simply shut down. I can't find a pattern for it, although the site www.hs.fi seems to trigger this problem a lot.

Is there some way of using the Terminal to show an error message or something?

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 280 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by CormacB View Post
I find it tends to change orientation too easily. If I hold my n900 approximately level with the ground it tends to flip back and forth (and then crash) I would prefer if I had to tilt it to at least 30 degrees in one direction before it changed. Also it goes to portrait if I am holding it usb socket side down so that the picture is upside down, which is not much use.
Opera listens to the rotation events sent by the device, so what you are seeing is standard behavior. Other applications (like the phone application) have the same tilt sensitivity. Same thing applies to holding it "upside down in portrait", try it in the phone app and you will see the same behavior.

Also, whenever the keyboard is open, Opera will stay in landscape mode.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ahockersten For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 280 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Is there a bugzilla open for this, btw?

I'm experiencing the most familiar Opera bug of all (to me at least) again with this version.

When I browse around, sometimes the browser will simply shut down. I can't find a pattern for it, although the site www.hs.fi seems to trigger this problem a lot.

Is there some way of using the Terminal to show an error message or something?
You can report bugs here. Be sure to select "Maemo 5" (for N900) or "Maemo 4" (N800/N810) as appropriate under the "Specify what version of Opera you are using:" heading.

The browser just "shutting down" at random times is indicative of a crash. If it happens in a way you can reproduce we are extremely interested in hearing about it. Users who are comfortable with developer tools can also send us logs generated by the Crash Reporter tool so we can have a look at them (they can be submitted as attachments in the bug reporting process).

We appreciate and read all bug reports we get, so do submit any you find!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ahockersten For This Useful Post:

Tags
fast browser, opera