Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by stelchio View Post
so when could we expect to see something delivered to our tablets? 1 month from now? 6? a year?
...or never?

Research projects never have to see the light of day if there's no commercial or business reasons :-/

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
...or never?

Research projects never have to see the light of day if there's no commercial or business reasons :-/
Hmm, this one looks more than just a minor project with no future - let me quote the article:

A huge network of several world market leaders in Flat panel, Projector and Smartphone industry has been established by noBounds (~20 companies). The USB standardisation is initiated.

Is there any news about it? Will it ever be released? Becouse without tv-out i might not get it but when it will have tv-out too then its a perfect device for me.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
the Nokia Research Center Bochum in Germany has been closed some weeks ago ... so i don't know if a team follow the project at nokia

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I think I've read somewhere that they just closed the factory in Bochum, but not the research center.

You're correct, uncompressed FullHD video (~3Gbps) won't fit in WLAN or USB2.0 HS. Thus the available compressed MPEG4 AVC, H264 movie-file is easily streamed (20..40Mbps) and to be decoded at display side.
So, is this using the IVA to do the encoding?

so when could we expect to see something delivered to our tablets? 1 month from now? 6? a year?
Perhaps this is the video display that is being talked about for the Berlin summit meeting....? Hope so, looks cool

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
of course, if you read the article listed in post #115, you get
"As a consequence of the planned shift of production from Bochum to other European sites, Nokia also intends to discontinue other non-production activities at the Bochum site."
Does this mean we have to track down former research employees, and beg for a little python code and such? I really hope we can get our hands on this....

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Oberon85 View Post
Does this mean we have to track down former research employees, and beg for a little python code and such? I really hope we can get our hands on this....
Out of interest, what exactly do you expect "this" to do? The way I see it there are three things noBounds claims to do:
  1. Use a separate PC to give TV out of the tablet display
  2. Use a separate PC for rendering data generated on the tablet
  3. Upload files from the tablet to data projectors over TCP/IP using whatever weird protocol it is they speak

(1) is achievable with a VNC server already. (2) seems mostly pointless most of the time. (3) is a fairly isolated and esoteric usage (I've never seen a file-uploading data projector, but I have heard of them)

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Out of interest, what exactly do you expect "this" to do?
A cheap device that work in wifi to transmit video,and usb signal with one or two usb slot and a vga / dvi out.

Have you ever try vncserver to see video .... it s slow ... really slow ... many framedrop