Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
If someone knows the ASCII character graphics for the arrow keys, could you please post a response?
You can use .xpm images, at least with the version of xkbd I'm using.

There is no ASCII encoding for arrow glyphs; it's possible that there is some unicode encoding method that will work, but I don't know which encoding method, what the code is for arrow glyphs, or whether they are present in any font on the N8x0 by default...

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Between Rubybox, the mouse fix and learning to deal with xkbd's quirks, I'm definitely using DosBox a lot more. A couple of old favorites, the original Civilization & the original Sim City, work fantastically now.

One thing I do notice is that when I exit out of DosBox/RubyBox and go back to surfing the web, clicking on links doesn't work anymore. A re-boot fixes the problem. However, is there something I can do (like killing a process in xterm) that may be able to remedy this without a reboot? Incidentally, I noticed this problem once I started using RubyBox. Also, I'm not using Addison's latest keyboard mod yet...

Many thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
One thing I do notice is that when I exit out of DosBox/RubyBox and go back to surfing the web, clicking on links doesn't work anymore. A re-boot fixes the problem. However, is there something I can do (like killing a process in xterm) that may be able to remedy this without a reboot? Incidentally, I noticed this problem once I started using RubyBox. Also, I'm not using Addison's latest keyboard mod yet...
I believe the problem you're having is inherent in the default XKBD keyboard that RubyBox is using. I noticed it too. I haven't seen the problem since Addison fixed the keyboard so it wouldn't crash or do weird stuff. Try the latest Addison keyboard and I think your problem will go away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Pushwall View Post
I believe the problem you're having is inherent in the default XKBD keyboard that RubyBox is using. I noticed it too. I haven't seen the problem since Addison fixed the keyboard so it wouldn't crash or do weird stuff. Try the latest Addison keyboard and I think your problem will go away.
Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try...

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Addison - but but but how will I type Apple ][ ?????
All you have to do is type this:
Apple Mod Key ] Mod Key Ctrl Key Mod Key [ Mod Key Alt Key.

See how easy that is?

Yikes!

Oh, and thanks to whoever figured out the whole Mouse Lock Pointer thingie being false!

Monopoly and all of the other junk I've got running in Dosbox works almost perfect now!

Anyway, could someone here post a link or two on how to get started in creating those .xmp graphics for the keyboard?

I'm using Windows XP and the only graphic editor I have is the default Windows Paint program.

So yeah, I'm not too sure on where to begin on this.

Thanks.

If you can get WIN98se running with network support can we then just VNC into the session to have full mouse and keyboard support?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm using Windows XP and the only graphic editor I have is the default Windows Paint program.
You really need to get the Gimp. It is a free, open source, powerful bitmap editor. It holds its own with all the $400+ editors. It reads and writes an amazing number of file formats, too.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

As for your XMP files, I don't know if they are even graphics files. XMP doesn't tend to be a graphic file format.

Last edited by qole; 2008-03-30 at 01:11.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
You really need to get the Gimp. It is a free, open source, powerful bitmap editor. It holds its own with all the $400+ editors. It reads and writes an amazing number of file formats, too.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

As for your XMP files, I don't know if they are even graphics files. XMP doesn't tend to be a graphic file format.
Thanks for the reponse Qole.

But if you're not getting it, then there's no way I'll ever understand the whole .xmp file image converted keyboard support graphic thingie dependent xkbd required format system tool needed with this.

If someone can figure this out, please share the goods!

Hey ArminS!

Got an idea!

If you were to still allow Dosbox to be centered in full screen mode, yet moved it to the top of the screen, there should be enough room for a full, virtual keyboard on the bottom.

If it's something you would be willing to do, I probably could make a killer keyboard that takes up the entire width of the display screen and have it all nice and friendly looking, sitting right below the Dosbox screen.

What's your thoughts on this guys? Am I awesomeness or what?

Also, quick question.

When running multiple Xkbds, does that have any significant effect on tying up processing power on the Nokia?

Just curious as to exactly how much that would strain Dosbox if there were to be, say, three Xkbds running at the same time.

I'm thinking that if I can only get three rows of keys on the bottom screen, then perhaps I'd throw the function keys on the top left of the screen, and other special keys on the top right. Make any sense?

Finally, if you were to have Dosbox displayed top left, I think there might be enough room to make a virtual, touch screen, joystick on the bottom right side.

So what's your thoughts on any of this?

Thanks!

Question.

Is it possible to map the directional keys on the D PAD?

I'm only getting Up, Down, Left, and Right on games.

Can't seem to figure out how to do UP Left at the same time.

Thanks!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Question.

Is it possible to map the directional keys on the D PAD?

I'm only getting Up, Down, Left, and Right on games.

Can't seem to figure out how to do UP Left at the same time.

Thanks!
Diagonals (like Up-Left) can't be done on the D-Pad. It's a hardware limitation.