Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sgbirch View Post
SOMEBODY at Nokia thinks MeeGo will run on the N900, the MeeGo site front page (http://meego.com) clearly shows a user holding an N900.

I'm sure it was simply because the N900 was the most viable example. Don't read too much into that picture.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Who knows how much more buzz such a thing might have created...
Maybe, and I understand those who say the community couldn't have done worse than MeeGo. But seeing from the corporate side, it's hard to imagine this happening. What if the community came up with a name & the corporations didn't like it? Lots of hard feelings. If they're going to be putting big dollars behind a brand, they need to own that important decision.

Plus, consider the practical issues:
1. Would the name discussion occur in the open? If so, the name could be stolen. And imagine the cybersquatting opportunity.
2. Any name chosen would have to be checked for how it sounds in various languages. Would the community do this? Domain name checks?

Can someone clarify this information ????

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
The article mixes up scrapping the Maemo name with scrapping Maemo. Meego "Maemo 6" is going to be an instance of Meego 1.0

The Following User Says Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I don't see this being any other different that what we already know. It does not say anything in one or the other way, except that Maemo5 won't run on other devices. Which is hardly a surprise. It also does not say Maemo5 is dead, please see http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46187 for saner information.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "The end of Maemo (5)??? WTF!!!!" with one three posts has been merged into this thread.

(Darn ninjas.)

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by mane View Post
Can someone clarify this information ????
if this is absolute, this is like the n97, within months, a "mini" successor came up, then another phone, including the n900,

now its the n900 then within months, Meego

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ athens/greece
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm sure it was simply because the N900 was the most viable example. Don't read too much into that picture.
well the holder of N900 is probably the future Meego customer!!!

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
You know...I was tooling around the intertubes today, looking at phone specs and what not, and I realized that the n97 mini is pretty much the same phone as the x6. They appear to have the same processor (Arm 11, 434Mhz), same amount of RAM (128MB), same screen size (3.2 inches) and resolution, though one is capacitive the other is resistive, same camera resolution (5MP). The only differences that I could pick out, are the built in memory (8GB vs 16 or 32GB), the keyboard or lack of keyboard on the x6, and the battery size. Even the dimensions are very close. I makes me hope....that there'll be a keyboarded and keyboard-less version of what's next.

Let's hope developers & Nokia get it right now and we can get a competitor for iPhone & Android

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war