Closed Thread
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
First lcuk, then YoDude:

lcuk, one of the things that I'm proud to have been a part of as a member of the past two councils was helping Stskeeps get a job with maemo.org (as "distmaster") to do the very thing you're saying needs to be done. He is pushing a queue of closed components through the "request for opening" process for us now. Honestly, most of the stuff that they want to open is beyond my depth, but I just know that more open is better, because it seems to me that many times when Nokia opens something, some genius hacker steps in and does magical things with it.

This was a big deal to me during my two terms. I hope at least one person on the next council sets this as a priority.

Another thing that I greatly desired to accomplish (and mostly failed to do) during my terms on Council was to make the "engaged users" segment of this community a more important part of the community's "core". It always frustrated me that the decision makers often chose to marginalise the forum users because they were too many, too unruly, too... unmanagable. By doing the important business on the mailing lists and IRC instead of the forums, it kept the noise down, but at the expense of losing a huge pool of resources.

I signed up for the community mailing list in order to nominate myself last spring. I subsequently signed up to the developer list in order to be able to watch the traffic there as part of my job as council member. It is probably worth the while of anyone who would like to participate in the decision-making processes of maemo.org (while it lasts) to subscribe to the mailing lists, too.

And yes, YoDude, I think you should head on over and nominate yourself. I'll vote for you if you stand as a rep for "engaged users" and you promise to pick up the torch of keeping the forums under the gaze of the decision makers in this community and the one that is forming over at meego.com.
You are that dude!

If you are not running this term then I will... in order to, as you said:

"stand as a rep for "engaged users" and you promise to pick up the torch of keeping the forums under the gaze of the decision makers in this community and the one that is forming over at meego.com"

Thank you for taking the time to respond in this thread. I may not be as bright as some here must be, but I have no problem following a thread on a forum with posts that link to supporting information or that quotes from other sources when in context.

To RevdKathy, good luck in your masters pursuit. You did make a case as you said
...for having a relative newcomer or two on the council as a way of drawing new people into the thick of things
Your example I also thought pointed out to the "trusted wise heads who've been around the maemo block a few times" a few things about the importance of responding to the needs of the people who actualy purchase and expect to use the devices... Ta

SLN member # 009

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
If you are not running this term then I will... in order to, as you said:

"stand as a rep for "engaged users" and you promise to pick up the torch of keeping the forums under the gaze of the decision makers in this community and the one that is forming over at meego.com"
Go for it! Post your nomination over at the mailing list as soon as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hey javispedro I see you reading-- why don't YOU run?

(I'd gladly support you)

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-03-14 at 02:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Hey javispedro I see you reading-- why don't YOU run?
To be honest, I've been pondering exactly that while reading the thread (imagine my face when I got to read your post ).

But the fact that most nominees that don't run do so because of time concerns scares me :P
Also, my knowledge of the council internals is flaky at best -- I'm not exactly a "trusted wise head who can guide us through some stormy waters", in revd's words.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-14 at 02:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
To be honest, I've been pondering exactly that while reading the thread (imagine my face when I got to read your post ).

But the fact that most nominees that don't run do so because of time concerns scares me :P
Also, my knowledge of the council internals is flaky at best -- not exactly a "trusted wise head who can guide us through some stormy waters", in revd's words.
- I have very little free time. I just do what I can with what I have. With 5 people, there's good coverage anyway.

- I knew nothing about "council internals" when I ran. Still not sure I do..

- you've shown yourself to have the right qualities IMO. One of your best traits is your "even keel". THAT is important.

Okay, you're out of excuses. Get that email out.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post

Also, my knowledge of the council internals is flaky at best -- I'm not exactly a "trusted wise head who can guide us through some stormy waters", in revd's words.
blah blah blah just do it. . . .

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
... make the "engaged users" segment of this community a more important part of the community's "core". It always frustrated me that the decision makers often chose to marginalise the forum users because they were too many, too unruly, too... unmanagable. By doing the important business on the mailing lists and IRC instead of the forums, it kept the noise down, but at the expense of losing a huge pool of resources.

I signed up for the community mailing list in order to nominate myself last spring. I subsequently signed up to the developer list in order to be able to watch the traffic there as part of my job as council member. It is probably worth the while of anyone who would like to participate in the decision-making processes of maemo.org (while it lasts) to subscribe to the mailing lists, too.

And yes, YoDude, I think you should head on over and nominate yourself. I'll vote for you if you stand as a rep for "engaged users" and you promise to pick up the torch of keeping the forums under the gaze of the decision makers in this community and the one that is forming over at meego.com.
Blame him^

Thanks to your encouragement I went ahead and threw my hat into the ring

Originally Posted by maemo-community@maemo.org mailing list
Mar 14, 2010; 10:55am Council Nomination: YoDude

I have recently joined this list and I am posting today in order to nominate myself for election to the Maemo Community Council.

I am not an active Maemo or MeeGo developer. The N900 is the first Nokia "phone" I have ever owned.

I have however, used an N800, N810, or an N900 as my mobile Internet connection in and outside work and home every day for over 3 years now. Prior to that my need for internet access via cell phone connection had me using whatever hardware was available. At that time it was an iPAQ 4200 series running Windows Mobile 2003. This solution left a lot to be desired.

With the release of the NIT's I felt that Nokia accurately realized the concept I was working with. I have been a power user ever since and believe I will continue to be one as this concept continues to evolve with MeeGo.

I do have a blog that I have maintained since 2005. I do not advertise this on the forums because the purpose of this blog is to support my posts in various mobile forums and not the other way around. I only mention it here for those who do not know me and would like some sort of reference from which to evaluate my sincerity

My first NIT blog post was in March of 2007
>> http://my.opera.com/yodude/blog/2007...the-nokia-n800

I believe that the Community Council we elect should have some representation from the average customer/user base. I also believe that the forums are, and will continue to be the communication means of choice for many engaged users. I also believe that some of the future leaders of our community will come from within the ranks of these engaged users.

Recently a current member of the Maemo Community Council posted that it was his desire during his term:
"...to make the "engaged users" segment of this community a more important part of the community's "core". It always frustrated me that the decision makers often chose to marginalize the forum users because they were too many, too unruly, too... unmanageable. By doing the important business on the mailing lists and IRC instead of the forums, it kept the noise down, but at the expense of losing a huge pool of resources."

I wholeheartedly agree with his statement and as a prospective Maemo Community Council candidate I will stand as a rep for "engaged users" and promise to pick up the torch that this Maemo Community Council member lit to keep the forums under the gaze of the decision makers in this community as well as the community that is forming over at meego.com.

>> http://talk.maemo.orgn/showpost.php?...6&postcount=38

Future MeeGo devices will rest on a community platform supported by three legs. The legs represent the software developers, the hardware manufacturers, and the eventual customer/users of those devices. Although the three legged stool analogy may be a bit tired, in this case it may be accurate none the less. If one of those legs is either longer or shorter than the other two or worse, each leg is of a different length, the platform is unstable and the devices resting on it will not be presented at their level best.

Thank you for your considerations and for the time taken while reading this rather long first post.

With best regards,

Steven Paolini Yeager
maemo.org member: YoDude
Empowered by my first post on the maemo-community@maemo.org mailing list, I will now go ahead and nominate javispedro if someone hasn't already done so.

javispedro is a developer whom I believe participates and communicates with "engaged users" where ever they may be. He provides help to these community members regardless of the applications they use or are inquiring about.

SLN member # 009

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I posted this to the mailing list:

I'd like to make a nomination to the Council of our very own SheepMaster, Hopbeat (Arek Stopczynski).

Hopbeat is a student learning computer programming, moving between Denmark and Poland. He recently entered a number of Maemo games into a maemo contest. He is the driving dev behind the MaeSheep, and has worked co-ordinating this community project.

Hopbeat's profiles are here:
http://maemo.org/profile/view/hopbeat/
http://talk.maemo.org/member.php?u=25407

Hopbeat is a Masters student, creator of the Shortcutd. He tells me he believes that all opinions should be listened to. He's a peace lover (goes with the hair in his av!)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
It has been said before that perhaps the community mailing list is the best kept secret of the community. If there are more active members on the forum then maybe we should be looking at being less mailing list dependent and more forum oriented.
There has to be one place to officially declare your candidacy. The mailing list is it. At the time the rules were laid down, it was the most logical place.

I don't see any need to change that. Yes, there are more users on tmo than the mailing list, but the elections are open to anyone. If a prospective council member chooses not to stand because it means subscribing to a relatively low traffic mailing list, then I'd question the commitment they'd be able to bring to the role.

The election is plastered all over tmo, planet.maemo.org, IRC, the mailing list, IRC and Twitter.

I don't see any reason to turn this into yet another "mailing list" vs. "forum" discussion. However, I welcome your candidacy and hope you'll find time to answer the questions I've been putting to all the candidates.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Another thing that I greatly desired to accomplish (and mostly failed to do) during my terms on Council was to make the "engaged users" segment of this community a more important part of the community's "core". It always frustrated me that the decision makers often chose to marginalise the forum users because they were too many, too unruly, too... unmanagable. By doing the important business on the mailing lists and IRC instead of the forums, it kept the noise down, but at the expense of losing a huge pool of resources.
I'd say in the last 6 months the mailing lists have been marginalised by the fora. Discussions are usually kicked off here with a cross-post or two to the mailing lists; and the decision makers (X-Fade, dneary, jeremiah, Stskeeps, Reggie, andre, tekojo, qgil, the council) are here more than they are anywhere else. Although perhaps I'm forgetting stuff, examples of "important business" which was conducted purely on the mailing lists would be welcome :-)

IRC is a logical medium for realtime chat, but decisions aren't taken there unless in a planned meeting, which is minuted and with scope for input ahead of time. However, if a partciular technology has been overlooked, I'd be interested in it for both Maemo and professional reasons. (A Skype teleconference has been suggested, but that seems more opaque to me)

Just as it is for anyone who wants to participate in the decision-making processes to be involved in talk.maemo.org :-)

I'd hope the council were looking across all media as much as possible to ensure that the appropriate members of the community were connected when working on similar endeavours.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council, election