Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Okay, now you guys are challenging me. Isn't everything we're talking about in open code from these two directories?

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fremantle/free/h/
http://repository.maemo.org/pool/diablo/free/h/

If so, that could be a fun project: Change the application manager's displayed icons via a dbus call. No restarting of anything. Or like the hilarity below, can you already do that? And aren't these icons redrawn from file when the theme is changed? Those artsy types in the "Mods show us your mods" thread seem to be doing some pretty cool stuff.
Yessir.

It could be implemented via a D-Bus call, I guess, but I don't think you'd find much people that'd be up to installing a replacement hildon-desktop...

Changing theme does seem to cause a refresh, yes, but it's the usual story with Nokia: the Themes applet is closed source. (That said, I guess the legwork is done by hildon-desktop and it's small enough for somebody to knock up a clone with some tools... But I'd still like to know what the applet does to trigger hildon-desktop to refresh itself. )

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Sorry, I'm too dense. Are you saying that the solution wasn't in front of my nose, but on my nose? If so, that's not funny, that's the story of my life. Well, maybe it's kinda funny.
I facepalmed after reading it too, for I had found it after we'd discovered that it was just plain gtk_window_set_icon ().

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-18 at 17:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
@steven676:

Just to be clear, your doing God's work. My interests are purely selfish. I wasn't even thinking in terms of integration with your code, at least not in any foreseeable future. But you've been blazing a trail that seems to be adoptable on more than one level. An individual one, for instance.

When it comes to browsers, because of differences like rendering engines, it makes sense to me to want more than one installed browser. But with something like a media player, or in my case, a media controller, I only need one front-end. I imagine my final change being something like this:

mv /usr/bin/mediaplayer.launch /usr/bin/not
cp mybiitchinfrontend /usr/bin/mediaplayer.launch

But before I do this, I'll have to have all of my dbus ducks in a row. So keep up the good work!

[off topic very-semi rant]

mediaplayer is almost 600 KB stripped! I'm not sure I get it yet, but that seems ridiculous. And in my model, unless it's doing more than displaying album art, like visualizations for example, it should just be a media organizer. Then the mediaplayer home applet (and maybe something in the status bar) could be expanded to better manipulate all the organized media. Or something like that.

mafw-gst-renderer is an out-of-process plugin. If you've started some music using the mediaplayer home applet and then open the mediaplayer, the music continues to play. But if you close the mediaplayer, it stops the music. A lazy bug as far as I'm concerned. The mediaplayer is a bloated, self-important dinosaur. So, I'm gonna be raping and pillaging from any project I can get my hands on to replace it and then some. And there's plenty of good ones out there. Whether any one else ends up using my Frankenstein is another topic entirely.

[/off topic very-semi rant]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
...but I don't think you'd find much people that'd be up to installing a replacement hildon-desktop...
Let's be serious, is it really about anyone else but me?

But really seriously, since loosing so many whining battles, I now try to invoke change by proof-of-concept. That's why I like this thread so much.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Changing theme does seem to cause a refresh, yes, but it's the usual story with Nokia: the Themes applet is closed source. (That said, I guess the legwork is done by hildon-desktop and it's small enough for somebody to knock up a clone with some tools... But I'd still like to know what the applet does to trigger hildon-desktop to refresh itself. ).
If it's D-Bus, dbus-monitor will tell all; if it's a POSIX signal or file/pipe/socket-based trigger, strace and lsof on hildon-desktop will tell you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
If it's D-Bus, dbus-monitor will tell all; if it's a POSIX signal or file/pipe/socket-based trigger, strace and lsof on hildon-desktop will tell you.
Nothing exciting; from hildon-desktop's changelog:
"* Monitor /etc/hildon/theme for theme changes. Fixes: NB#98196, NB#98302" so there doesn't appear to be a general "force refresh" command. :\

Nokia have a "personalisation" app which, with a quick look at using strings , just appears to unlink /etc/hildon/theme and set it to the new directory.
Then _GTK_READ_RCFILES is sent to force a refresh of running programs etc. so that they use the decorations provided by the new theme.

BTW, congratulations with the fremantle4 release. I haven't encountered one single problem at all with having my default browser set to Tear. Thanks.

(Oh, and let me know if you need to remotely access the N900 again. I don't mind letting you have access while I'm asleep.)

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-18 at 21:37.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Perhaps a minor fix, selecting the OVI Store icon should launch MicroB I think(since it refuses to work with Firefox Mobile, and I guess any other browser). Is this doable?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Agreed. Here's the content, steven676, of the Ovi Store desktop file (/usr/share/applications/hildon/ovi.desktop) if it helps you in any way:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Name=tana_ap_ovi_store
Comment=Open Ovi store in new window
Exec=dbus-send --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.osso_browser /com/nokia/osso_browser/request com.nokia.osso_browser.open_new_window string:http://link.ovi.mobi/n900ovistore
Icon=general_ovi_store
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=System;TerminalEmulator;
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
#X-Osso-Service=xterm
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
That said, Tear does support the changing of its user agent...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-20 at 16:03. Reason: I'm trying to be pedantic...

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Perhaps a minor fix, selecting the OVI Store icon should launch MicroB I think(since it refuses to work with Firefox Mobile, and I guess any other browser).
Thanks for reporting this. I've just committed a fix, which will be in the 3.2 release, to make this open in MicroB.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by steven676 View Post
Thanks for reporting this. I've just committed a fix, which will be in the 3.2 release, to make this open in MicroB.
Great, no need to switch between Firefox Mobile and MicroB if you want to open the OVI Store when its released.

----------------
Now playing: Tool - Reflection

I'm pleased to announce Browser Switchboard releases 3.2-1 (stable, for Diablo) and 3.2-1fremantle1 (beta, for Fremantle). Packages are now available in extras-devel and on the Garage download page.

Highlights of the changes in this release:
  • Make the "Web" menu entry and /usr/bin/browser script open the selected default browser, and provide a new "MicroB" menu entry and /usr/bin/microb script for launching MicroB. See this post for the rationale for this change.
  • [Fremantle] Launching and closing MicroB now works! Many thanks to everyone who tested this and provided feedback, especially qwerty12 and jukey.
  • [Fremantle] Restarting the device after a fresh install of Browser Switchboard should no longer be necessary. Make sure you close any open MicroB browser windows before installing/upgrading, though! (Restarting after installation has never been required on Diablo.)
  • [Fremantle] Force the Ovi Store bookmark to open in MicroB, since Ovi Store doesn't load in other browsers. Thanks to ToJa92 for reporting this.
  • Add the ability to send debug logging output to syslog as well as the terminal, and add a config setting "logging={stdout,syslog,none}" to configure it. Thanks to qwerty12 for the suggestion.
  • Turn on additional optimizations for code size, which should reduce disk and memory footprint slightly, and also possibly improve startup time.
  • Miscellaneous minor bugfixes and cleanups.

For more information on the changes in this release, see the changelog for the release and for the packages (Diablo, Fremantle); for excruciating detail, see the revision history in Git.

Known issues:
  • [Diablo] No "Loading" message (startup notification) is displayed when you open the MicroB menu entry.
  • [Fremantle] Opening the MicroB menu entry causes a blank window to load in MicroB instead of the bookmarks window to be displayed.
  • [Fremantle] A bookmarks window will open in the background whenever MicroB is started, even when loading a URL.
  • [Fremantle] Browser Switchboard kills MicroB after the last browser window closes, even if a bookmarks window is still open.

I expect to push the Diablo package into extras and the Fremantle package into extras-testing in a couple of days, if no one reports problems.

Last edited by steven676; 2010-02-22 at 13:15.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steven676 For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, default, microb, opera