Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Actually, some PCs (and the PS3 - for remote play) use WWoL (Wireless Wake on LAN), assuming the BIOS (on your PC/laptop) supports it, it should be work with the existing app.
ooops! My fault.... I assumed WAN... not WLAN....
Thanks!

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
First of all: thanks! It's a really great application I wanted to have on my N900.

But I have some problems. I can't wol remotely, I mean from outside my LAN. I have 2 routers: a Comtrend which recieves Internet and a D-Link which creates the LAN my computer to wol is in (I won't explain why I have this situation, too long for now).

I'm sure I'm redirecting ports correctly from the Comtrend to the D-Link and that my computer is receiving the packets as I achieve connecting by SSH from outside with my N900. But I can't Wake On LAN from outside with this application. I'm redirecting port UDP 9 (though I also tried 9 TCP/UDP). I have no problem inside the LAN.

I also have to say that a friend of mine can WOL my computer from another city, so my PC is also well configured.

In this application, I enter my host xxxxx.xxxxx.net. It founds as if I enter an invalid host I receive a "Host not found" message. Instead, I receive "Couldn't find mac address for host" and shows my external IP (so it resolves my host name). I don't know if it has somenthing to do with the automatic discoverying of the MAC or with the 2 routers situation. I think is the first one as I can WOL in other ways than this application.

My suggestion: Could there be a change on the Cute Wake On LAN so that you could enter host and MAC and not only one of them (as I do in Ubuntu to WOL remotely, for example), so there's no problem in finding the MAC? Connection could be saved the same way as it does now, but saving also the MAC for the host.

Thanks and sorry for such a long text

Originally Posted by jpala16 View Post
First of all: thanks! It's a really great application I wanted to have on my N900.

But I have some problems. I can't wol remotely, I mean from outside my LAN. I have 2 routers: a Comtrend which recieves Internet and a D-Link which creates the LAN my computer to wol is in (I won't explain why I have this situation, too long for now).

I'm sure I'm redirecting ports correctly from the Comtrend to the D-Link and that my computer is receiving the packets as I achieve connecting by SSH from outside with my N900. But I can't Wake On LAN from outside with this application. I'm redirecting port UDP 9 (though I also tried 9 TCP/UDP). I have no problem inside the LAN.

I also have to say that a friend of mine can WOL my computer from another city, so my PC is also well configured.

In this application, I enter my host xxxxx.xxxxx.net. It founds as if I enter an invalid host I receive a "Host not found" message. Instead, I receive "Couldn't find mac address for host" and shows my external IP (so it resolves my host name). I don't know if it has somenthing to do with the automatic discoverying of the MAC or with the 2 routers situation. I think is the first one as I can WOL in other ways than this application.

My suggestion: Could there be a change on the Cute Wake On LAN so that you could enter host and MAC and not only one of them (as I do in Ubuntu to WOL remotely, for example), so there's no problem in finding the MAC? Connection could be saved the same way as it does now, but saving also the MAC for the host.

Thanks and sorry for such a long text
The application will not be able to find the mac address through the router. To send the "magic packet" to an IP (host) in addition to broadcasting to the local LAN I will have to change the application. I am not quite sure it will be enough though. I will have to research a little first. I will let you know so you can test when I am done.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Spain
Thanks for the fast reply!

Meanwhile, I'll continue testing to findout if it's something more I can do.

EDIT: I've been testing for a while and I haven't been able to wakeonlan my computer from outside my LAN as I did before through other ways. I'll let you know when I'm done to be an actual reliable tester for this app.

EDIT2: After some testing, I am able to WOL the PC if it's in the first router's LAN (the one that is visible from outside) but if it's under the second router I'm unable to do it. But I think I could once. I'm still testing.

Last edited by jpala16; 2010-09-06 at 05:34.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Finland
First of all, thanks for the application. I was testing it yesterday and it was working as expected. It did started up my Buffalo NAS.
Now I am almost able to use the media server with N900.

Since I am using Buffalo NAS it has an feature that it need to be kicked time to time just to keep it running. If NAS doesn't receive new WOL about every 20 seconds it will shut down automatically in 5 minutes.

With current version of Cute WakeOnLan I am able to start up NAS but not to keep it up and running.

Then the request :-)

Req1) Would it be possible to add functionality in Cute WakeOnLan to keep sending WOL messages every 30 seconds in case application is kept running. I guess most of the users close the application after they have waken up the desired device.

Req2) Or add configuration item to turn on timed WOL sending for saved IPs

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
For some reason it doesn't work for me, I entered the media server mac address (checked from my router) and tried waking it up (my N900 naturally connected to the same wlan) but nothing happens. I could however add it to "known hosts". WOL is enabled in the media server bios.
Look Soppa, if the computer is connected only on a wireless adapter you are likely not able to start it that way. There ARE wireless adapters that supports WOL, but its not very common. Maybe if it's a newer machine you have at least a chance.
But in that case, you would need to take a deeper look at the power settings (I assume you use windows in your media server).
There is a lot of info on the net, just google it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tjutzu View Post
First of all, thanks for the application. I was testing it yesterday and it was working as expected. It did started up my Buffalo NAS.
Now I am almost able to use the media server with N900.

Since I am using Buffalo NAS it has an feature that it need to be kicked time to time just to keep it running. If NAS doesn't receive new WOL about every 20 seconds it will shut down automatically in 5 minutes.

With current version of Cute WakeOnLan I am able to start up NAS but not to keep it up and running.

Then the request :-)

Req1) Would it be possible to add functionality in Cute WakeOnLan to keep sending WOL messages every 30 seconds in case application is kept running. I guess most of the users close the application after they have waken up the desired device.

Req2) Or add configuration item to turn on timed WOL sending for saved IPs
This is the first time I get this request. I will keep in mind and try to come up with some solution. It may be easier to delegate the scheduling to a 3rd application (or script?) and just have wakeonlan accept command line arguments, would that work for you?

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
This is the first time I get this request. I will keep in mind and try to come up with some solution. It may be easier to delegate the scheduling to a 3rd application (or script?) and just have wakeonlan accept command line arguments, would that work for you?
It could perhaps be a temporary solution.

My ultimate goal is to get Desktop Widget that I can click to start WOL sending. Re-clicking the widget would then turn it of.
Similar kind of functionality than FMTX currently have.

After going trough the source code and some Qt faq's and examples I realized it is actually bit more complicated than I tough after seeing one couple line Python implementation
You have made great job already. Too bad it wasn't enough for me (or Buffalo)

Originally Posted by tjutzu View Post
It could perhaps be a temporary solution.

My ultimate goal is to get Desktop Widget that I can click to start WOL sending. Re-clicking the widget would then turn it of.
Similar kind of functionality than FMTX currently have.

After going trough the source code and some Qt faq's and examples I realized it is actually bit more complicated than I tough after seeing one couple line Python implementation
You have made great job already. Too bad it wasn't enough for me (or Buffalo)
The "part of the code" you actually need to send the magic packets is very small... the "complicated" part was trying to figure out the macaddress given the ip or host name.

If you can create the desktop widget using qt and will know the macaddress everything else is quite simple and I will gladly help you figure out. In fact probably is as easy (or easier) to create it using python with the qt bindings.

My maemo work:
For Harmattan:
For Maemo/N900:

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I love this app, I use it to turn all the computers on at work in the morning without running around like an idiot.

Just have a feature request - it would be cool if you could shutdown/hibernate computers as well. You'd need to store a username and password that is authorised to with the known hosts (as well as a comment and timeout maybe?) and add the shutdown/hibernate options into the right click menu.

Apparently you can use the samba net and rpcclient commands to shutdown/hibernate a remote host (see links below). Please let me know if I can help implement this in any way.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Samba's net(8) or rpcclient(1) may help with shutdown at least, not sure about hibernate.

Last edited by andy68man; 2010-09-11 at 18:19.