Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
For information on this you'll have to wait until the release. Too early to say what will be closed or open yet.
That already implies "development behind closed doors". Which is already _at least_ as bad as Android. Fortunately though, there is Mer, so for at least the parts that are open, one can know they are "more open" than the other platforms.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Not just MER, also Nemomobile.

SailfishOS = Sailfish UI (closed for now), Nemomobile Middleware (open source and developed in the open), MER as core (open source and developed in the open) and Hardware Adaption (most stuff closed).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That already implies "development behind closed doors". Which is already _at least_ as bad as Android. Fortunately though, there is Mer, so for at least the parts that are open, one can know they are "more open" than the other platforms.
Well atleast they use core unix/linux librarys different from that damn Android who is not even using glibc. Now people will cry about not using X11 but its dead beast anyway so time to move on.

So even if some is closed I prefer SailfishOS. And again if you think Tizen or Ubuntu edge is more open I just LOL.... Actually Ubuntu depends on Jolla...

And you have to realise that if they want to success on the masses they have to work with it "closed" or else it would be full playground of user input how UI should work.

After release I am sure it will be opened. Silica is already open like nokia qt-componets as BSD license. Only thing is we not yet has access to the repository but almost of the code is QML so its fully readable in the SDK.

Different with apps and drivers for several reason. Its time for people to understand that PC is NOT the same as embedded ARM platforms. Not even Raspberry pi/Beagle black drivers is fully open. Some modem is not fully open and so on. Especially not those highend GFX/cameras etc... Higend stuff that people want on the device...

As it seems now the phone will use libhybris means android GFX drivers, Reason the damn GFX drivers only exists for Android and is closed cause the GFX manufactors only has Android drivers. And there is no way Jolla could writing drivers from scratch in time not even if they did it open.

And if its so important that stuff is open pople could start contribute here:

http://www.github.com/nemomobile or http://www.github.com/mer-tools

Btw. just look in the logs most of the libs are used and contributed by Jolla employers.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-08-10 at 11:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
A better discussion can be: Why is jolla team so closed source. I haven't seen anything from them in months. They should defiantly be more open.

The only thing I've seen is this little t-shirt competition which is great. But seriously. Even the ubuntu campaign is 1000 times better than what jolla is doing, even if they don't have a phone ready they kick the jolla back to rookieland. Seriously, what is jolla thinking? are they embarrassed or what? Do they expecting that customers will through money at them when no one knows them? Come on...create some cool campaign or something so we can drum up some serious support...fu ****ing booooooooring to support jolla!

Ubuntu got Bloomberg to invest $80,000. That is serious ****. What is jolla doing? looking for $800 sponsorship from a seven-eleven copycat around the corner?

Just created a short list for jolla. Can add 1000 more things they can do if they want to be more successful and fun. I'm sure you also have some great suggestions. Let's hear them!
  • Why not release some cool inside story including images/video of the progress or what ever?
  • Create some chat/forum/Q&A where users can ask questions and show some openness and interest in their users?
  • Create some suspect campaign to target the tech media?
  • release their own beer or what ever?
  • select a fan in every country that can be ambassador for jolla in that country/area(on in every continent) with also get the device a few days before they rest and can drum up support and demo videos.
  • Just talk to some tech media to get anything out there?

I think the jolla device have a great chance to be a better overall smartphone than ubuntu edge that's why I don't understand how Jolla team can be so ignorant to the world and to it's potential users.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-11 at 07:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I agree. But Jolla didn't really make it a secret, that they follow closed development before the first release. The hope was that they'll switch to open development after the release. So we'll have to wait and see if that will come to reality.

Firefox OS, Plasma Active and Nemo Mobile really have open development. Unfortunately Sailfish didn't follow that idea, yet.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-08-11 at 05:35.

To me Jolla is starting to look DOA - I so much wished it to succeed but it seems to be they are having a bit of difficulty to part with some old ways that lead to the demise of a company we all know and used to love...

They started to cry wolf too soon and now, the momentum is gone and next time they probably won't be able to gather as large crowd when they come back and say "hey! Look what we have done!"

Time will tell... But as stated elsewhere on this thread, whoever is handling their marketing and PR needs to wake up and do something. Just anything, but do it YESTERDAY.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
You know you can't win yust with marketing - you kinda have to write the software and build the hardware as well. :-)

So if we don't hear that much from them because they are hard at work - I don't have an issue with that.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
You know you can't win yust with marketing - you kinda have to write the software and build the hardware as well. :-)

So if we don't hear that much from them because they are hard at work - I don't have an issue with that.
You know, marketing guys usually not writing code and if they do Jolla has an even worse problem than I thought. You don't see a problem with a company containing only coders?

As important as the code is, they need a few more ingredients in a company to make to product successful.

"You know you can't win yust with marketing" - you are right about that, and noone is talking about JUST MARKETING, but just a little marketing...

Why not hijack some of the payback money from the successful ubuntu campaign if they don't reach 32 millions? Launch a 36 h campaign with paypal and they will get a few extra devices sold, got some media attention for free. just one example of what they can do easily with almost no manpower and almost no cost.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-11 at 10:00.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Jaco2k View Post
To me Jolla is starting to look DOA - I so much wished it to succeed but it seems to be they are having a bit of difficulty to part with some old ways that lead to the demise of a company we all know and used to love...

They started to cry wolf too soon and now, the momentum is gone and next time they probably won't be able to gather as large crowd when they come back and say "hey! Look what we have done!"

Time will tell... But as stated elsewhere on this thread, whoever is handling their marketing and PR needs to wake up and do something. Just anything, but do it YESTERDAY.
different is jolla is actually developing and moving forward now thats a different from canonical who just marketing a phone who still dont exists...

and btw about nemo since when is nemo working without closed drivers!?

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
Whether a UI is excellent or not is irrelevant. Openness is important.
I actually hate to say this but: I'll take an excellent, closed, program *any day* before some opern source crap.

It's only by mere luck that most of the software I use is open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: