Posts: 34 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ UK/Greece
4G is widely available in cities like London where I am currently living. A large amount of friends use 4G in devices like the Z10 etc without having serious deterioration of their battery life etc. The difference in data speeds is simply huge.

4G support is something that can really add value not in terms of silly spec-wars arguments but most importantly in terms of user experience. I think it is also making the phone a bit more future proof and along with an optimized OS it should make the "smartphone" experience even more smooth and intuitive.

I don't mind waiting a bit for 4G support to be enabled but since the 4G support has been announced from day 1, I think most of the people would like it sooner rather than later, as something that the phone supports "out of the box".

Last edited by cquence; 2014-03-17 at 15:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cquence For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I predict the release will be sometime in March, but they should take more time as needed if they're not 100% ready.
I don't want them releasing something half-baked, just because of lots of whining about them missing delivery targets.
You bought a Jolla device?!

I've realised that my most-wished for thing from this update is: stability! Yesterday afternoon my Jolla got stuck in some weird boot loop while I was out shopping for groceries. Not the end of the world, but pretty inconvenient. After watching me swear and poke at the device for 15 minutes, my wife suggested removing/replacing the battery.

"That. Won't. Work." I hissed. "I saw on TMO that it doesn't help."

"Well maybe..."

"OK, OK, fine."

So yep, that did help. Probably Murphy's Law at work.

My most-wished for new feature after stability is usable contacts & calendar integration. I spent 2.5 years with the N9 making daily use of thp's superb billboard customisation of the OLED screen; my upcoming events were visible just by removing the device from my pocket or glancing at it on the desk.

As it stands now, there's no OLED screen (OK) but I can't send events back up to the online calendar service (not OK), there's no way to view upcoming appointments on the first screen I see when I pull the device out of my pocket (not OK) and the calendar app is sorely lacking (meh). To download new contacts it's currently necessary to disable and then re-enable the contact service in settings (feeble, but I can live with that for now I guess). So that sort of basic stuff is #2 on my wishlist right after "be a device I can trust as my main device".

On a brighter note, I'd like once again to thank w00t for taking the time to come here and dispense technical wisdom. It's a lovely bit of yang to the yin of my "impatient nerd-rage"

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-03-17 at 15:58. Reason: Added conversation

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
As we are discussing the coming update and the release dates - I always had the feeling that Jolla should be able to update certain core applications separately from the system - e.g. Mail, People or Maps. Also some other components as well. So why wait for OS release? Update the application as fast as possible.
Also people around are speaking about waiting ensures release "not being buggy", "perfect release" etc. - there is NO such option! It will ALWAYS have issues and room for optimization. In the current state of Jolla(the device) it is hard to accept delays as many issues are really nasty. It is not like "desperately needing folders in launcher". I refer here to random reboots&shutdowns, numerous connection issues and missing core functions. Many of these make the device unusable for large number of early adopters.
Do not take this as a rant, but just as a questions being asked and needing more explanation.
And thanks to @w00t for the answers he spends time to give here!

Last edited by zlatko; 2014-05-20 at 12:34.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
As we are discussing the coming update and the release dates - I always had the feeling that Jolla should be able to update certain core applications separately from the system - e.g. Mail, People or Maps. Also some other components as well. So why wait for OS release? Update the application as fast as possible.
Also people around are speaking about waiting ensures release "not being buggy", "perfect release" etc. - there is NO such option! It will ALWAYS have issues and room for optimization. In the current state of Jolla(the device) it is hard to accept delays as many issues are really nasty. It is not like "desperately needing folders in launchers". I refer here to random reboots&shutdowns, numerous connection issues and missing core functions. Many of these make the device unusable for large number of early adopters.
Do not take this as a complain, but just as a questions being asked and needing more explanation.
Totally agree with that feeling

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ UK/Greece
I guess there are still more core things that need improvement and the flexible/modular updates on a per application basis will be happening later in the future when the OS is more stable overall and hopefully Jolla is larger and has more resources to work on even more things at the same time.

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
"impatient nerd-rage"
Can I ask how you finally got ahold of a jolla phone? I'd like to get one too, but I'm in the US

The Following User Says Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
... In the current state of Jolla(the device) it is hard to accept delays as many issues are really nasty. It is not like "desperately needing folders in launchers". I refer here to random reboots&shutdowns, numerous connection issues and missing core functions. Many of these make the device unusable for large number of early adopters.
Do not take this as a complain, but just as a questions being asked and needing more explanation.
Thank you for putting this so much more eloquently than I did a few pages back. In the heat of the moment when you are left without a functioning phone and a family member questions your sanity on travelling to a foreign country just to collect it, the temptation to have a rant on TMO can become to much to resist

Not long to wait now though.

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Can I ask how you finally got ahold of a jolla phone? I'd like to get one too, but I'm in the US
After Jolla customer care totally failed (twice!) to answer my Zendesk question about changing my address to an EU address...

...and after I was done sulking for a month or two...

...I decided to acquire a Jolla phone anyway, so I asked my relatives in the UK to buy one. Then I visited the UK and "borrowed" it from them on a more-or-less permanent basis. I was already visiting the UK (I have relatives there, remember?) so it wasn't that much of an expense.

Technically it's not even my device, because it's registered to my relative, who also paid for it. Why did I do it like that? Well, Jolla customer care closed my ticket saying something asinine like "we don't cover your market right now but stay tuned!" when I asked if I could change my profile address to one in the EU and re-start my order.

If it wasn't for people like w00t - and the total lack of compelling alternative for my next device - I would probably still be sulking and wondering how long before my N9 dies.

In fact, I'm still going to look after my N9 very carefully, because without significant improvement I can't imagine living with the Jolla as a long-term device. I have enough stress in my life already, and I need a device which doesn't reboot unexpectedly, and which will tell me reliably what I am supposed to be doing next Thursday etc. etc.

Still - very excited about the potential of Sailfish. I guess it's the eternal battle: open vs. closed, exciting vs. reliable, love vs. reason, Alfa Romeo vs. Toyota Corolla...

Last edited by shallimus; 2014-03-17 at 16:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Been tested the 4G compatibility by radio switcher, It works nicely in first release global city Hong Kong

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"