Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
as if google didn't already rule our lives, here is a very good place to bookmark:

http://www.google.com/linux

this does a LINUX SPECIFIC search.

for example, it knows that PAM is "pluggable authentication module" and not your brother's first wife...

That is neat.

I use that quite extensivly while i work with Ubuntu. A great way to learn about Linux.

I think a goal of all linux users would be to be able to comfortably navigate a terminal without using any of the GUI. That was by far the most difficult aspect of using Linux.

SJ30-Tungsten E- Zodiac 2-?

Does the location column count?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Originally Posted by frenchie
I use that quite extensivly while i work with Ubuntu. A great way to learn about Linux.

I think a goal of all linux users would be to be able to comfortably navigate a terminal without using any of the GUI. That was by far the most difficult aspect of using Linux.
Hi Adam,

I have to say the first thing I do when setting-up an new version on a new machine is to get vnc via xinetd working. this lets me log-on from my XP (or other linux) machine using a full graphical environment. this also reinforces the fact that linux is a simultaneous multi-user environment.

shell (NON-GUI) is an important skill but if you think anybody is going to put up with that while they learn what is going on in linux... why don't we start with "all the good stuff is in the /etc directory?" and "here's how services work/get started?"

some bash (think DOS-box) is great and will even be essential, but to say everybody should know the escape-double-jump-wide-squiggle commands of vi (the editor that IS always there) only ******s the acceptance of linux.

seriously though, I've only been playing with linux for a few years, what do you use as a handy (always there) linux version of "edit?"

p'ski

note:

virtually all configuration stuff in linux is in a text file. when you open and text file in windows, you see NOTEPAD or WORDPAD.

there is no such thing as a "windows registry." everything reads files you can change and study (and save a copy of before you break it.)

more importantly, there are NO DRIVE LETTERS.

Last edited by putkowski; 2005-11-17 at 01:55.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
p'ski-

As a somewhat crusty *nix guy, the only editor worth learnings is 6 (or vi for those who haven't learned this editor is the tool of satan ;-)).

Actually, I'm afraid Adam is right about the shell: It shouldn't be that way, but it is. The computer (esp. a *nix box) isn't as much of a hands-off tool for the masses as it's sold. All in the fullness of time.

And to be more on-topic, using the Live-CD distribution can be a wonderful learning tool as well:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/LiveCD?hi...%29%7C%28cd%29

Brad.
Brad.