Notices

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Found out that the problem is in icons.py
And that the number of rows and columns cannot be bigger than the maximum with default icons size - 4x8

Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Here are the changes that allowed drlaunch to work for me. However, it's far from final solution and I don't know if they will not break anything.
Attached Files
File Type: txt drlaunch_icons.patch.txt (793 Bytes, 166 views)

I managed to change the icons used by DrLaunch by just overwriting the icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolour with my themes icons

Although for some reason the X Term icon isn't changing :s

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Why is it, that when I restart hildon desktop using either dsmetool or the killall command, drlaunch no longer responds?

Is there a way to restart the drlaunch service??

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

what exactly makes an app's icon incompatible with drlaunch, and is there a workaround to fix it manually?

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Netherlands
Desktop Activity Manager won't bring up any icons except for Contact Icons. I c a n force them being brought up by making attempts to alter the desktop (f.i. when you add a Widget or a background). Then my icons are brought back, they simply pop up when entering the forementioned menu.
Rebooting does make Dr Launch revive properly

Any ideas?

<I do take into account that no more than 8 columns can be used regardless of what Dr Launch lays out (namely 16 when you choose real small icon size)>

EDIT 13th June
Reinstalling Dr Launch and backing up "Config" in /home/user/.config/drlaunch seems to have improven my problem.

Still there can be some glitch when swapping from profile to profile: one instance of Dr Launch will return to its default state/size. When I delete that and add a new one the originally made up instance will return

EDIT 14th June
Alas still no joy completely. The problem of missing icons seems to me as avoidable. But instances of Dr Launch are not picked up properly by my different profiles of D.A.M. I'm in doubt as what to do.
Now I can't even get a 'non-default', second instance of Dr Launch to show d i f f e r e n t icons, it's only the default instance (4 squarewise arranged icons) I get there.
Oh for completion, I'm still noob on what Xterm commands I could try

Anyway
Great widget! Being able to change size of and repeat icons is a great improvement. Option to get landscape mode only would be appreciated as well perhaps?

EDIT 19th June
I guess I just found out that you can solve the above questions by tidying up the file /home/user/.config/drlaunch/config. If adding an instance of DrLaunch-widget to your desktop leads to a crash you can delete that instance (you can count the instances) from the file by

-removing the text from "ssS'drlaunch.desktop-[INSTANCE NUMBER]-[D.A.M. DESKTOP NAME]'" to just prior to the next "ssS (...)" line in the file.
-Then make sure there is a range of real numbers of instances (0,1,2...) so if you delete instance 3 out of 5 total you rename 4 to 3
-Then make sure that no blank lines remain. The last line will be still "sss."

Last edited by 7thd; 2011-06-19 at 08:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7thd For This Useful Post:
First, thanks the author for this magnific widget.

Any chance to get sygic icon working ?

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by int_ua View Post
Here are the changes that allowed drlaunch to work for me. However, it's far from final solution and I don't know if they will not break anything.
Sorry for being a real noob but... How do you apply these changes on the device? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Hello,

Sorry for not replying all this time. I'm very busy. I'm watching this thread a bit and I'm trying to keep up. I hope that after 1-2 week I'll be able to catch up again and release a new version.

However, I still don't have any problems with DrLaunch, except from a problem with icon sizes that will be fixed in the next version (that's why I haven't promoted the version from extras-testing).

In the mean time, I'd be glad if someone could sum-up the current situation: What are the current problems (most important) and how they can be reproduced (less important).

Originally Posted by 7thd View Post
Now I can't even get a 'non-default', second instance of Dr Launch to show d i f f e r e n t icons, it's only the default instance (4 squarewise arranged icons) I get there.
Oh for completion, I'm still noob on what Xterm commands I could try
Do you mean that when you add a second instance, you are not able to change its icons or its size?

Originally Posted by 7thd View Post
EDIT 19th June
I guess I just found out that you can solve the above questions by tidying up the file /home/user/.config/drlaunch/config. If adding an instance of DrLaunch-widget to your desktop leads to a crash you can delete that instance (you can count the instances) from the file by

-removing the text from "ssS'drlaunch.desktop-[INSTANCE NUMBER]-[D.A.M. DESKTOP NAME]'" to just prior to the next "ssS (...)" line in the file.
-Then make sure there is a range of real numbers of instances (0,1,2...) so if you delete instance 3 out of 5 total you rename 4 to 3
-Then make sure that no blank lines remain. The last line will be still "sss."
Instead of going in such pain, you can use python. The config file is just a pickled version of the configuration. Ssh to your n900 (or open an xterm - but ssh is easier) and try this:

Code:
cd .config/drlaunch
python
Then run:
Code:
import pickle
f=open('config', 'r')
t=pickle.load(f)
f.close()
At this point, t contains the configuration. You can try those:
Code:
t.keys()
t['data'].keys()
t['data'] is the interesting part because it holds an entry for each instance. If you want to delete an instance you can do something like this:

Code:
t['data'].pop('instance name')
Instances are named by the widget name (most probably drlaunch.desktop), a widget id (as returned from hildon-desktop) and the activity name (if you have D.A.M. installed).

For example this is a name in my case: drlaunch.desktop-0-main4

You can see that config with:
Code:
t['data']['drlaunch.desktop-0-main4']
After doing any changes you can write the config with:
Code:
f2=open('test', 'w')
pickle.dump(t, f2)
f2.close()
And it will be saved in file "test".

Don't forget to backup your config first before playing with it :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Well, in truth u dont need to backup the config file.
When u delete the file the next way u open the widget will be auto generated a new config file.
Works for me.