Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Ok, but without those ugly joysticks and stuff, this would have been a very cool device, even better than the Pocket. But as-is, it's just too ugly and bulky.
That's a matter of taste...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
That's a matter of taste...
Of course it is.

Can someone who is a gamer tell me, who isn't, if the gaming controls are even relevant on a Windows machine? I always considered Windows an OS for work, not for entertainment. And I always thought that gaming controls are for gaming consoles with their own proprietary OSes...

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Of course it is.

Can someone who is a gamer tell me, who isn't, if the gaming controls are even relevant on a Windows machine? I always considered Windows an OS for work, not for entertainment. And I always thought that gaming controls are for gaming consoles with their own proprietary OSes...
Wrong. I am a PC gamer and pay, double the amount necessary to get a decent PC, to ensure I have decent gaming PC.

The billions made by steam would suggest I'm not alone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Some people like wiggly little sticks instead of a mouse, and joysticks have been supported in Windows since at least 98. Personally if I wanted to play with sticks I'd get a console as it's cheaper than a gaming PC but to each his own. FPS games without a mouse are just wrong!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Of course it is.

I'm not a gamer but I actually love GPD Win's design. I only hope the joystickers can be able to press as other console controllers.

I don't have time to play games for ages, but to answer pichlo's questions:

- One can easily play Xbox's Play Anywhere games (Not the big AAA titles but some indie ones, like Cup Head) without attaching other controllers or using keyboard

(Windows 10 has integrated Xbox well so you can play Xbox games / earn achievements / purchase and broadcast on Windows machines)

- One can stream Xbox / PS4 without using additional controllers. This is a big plus as I can give the big TV in living room to Girlfriend/Wife/Daughter (Sigh) And play Xbox as a portable console.

- One can play classic PC games with the builtin controller. On my GPD Win some old games did not run well as they show in portrait for some reason.

I am not a real player anyway and haven't switched on both GPD and Xbox for ages but if I want to play games the above points are actually great.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Wow, such great response! Thank you all.

All I can say that until now, "steam" was what water turns into when it gets hot and what the Victorians used to build the empire. Probably the last PC game I played was Civilization (the original one; the later versions just do not cut it for me with their fake "3D" graphics). In fact I have recently taken to playing it again on my N900 and encountered some interesting issues. I may update the DOSBox thread with the findings when I get to it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, I played a lot of games at that time when the games had their own OS integrated... there was just a loader called MSDOS on the machine itself!

At some time later I heard that for some odd reason all the games started to need windows to run on; I found this odd since I'd imagine the game application would run smoother on baremetal than on top of some funny windowing scheme.
I'd say that was just laziness on the part of the game designers, trusting to graphics drivers of the platform rather than tuning up their own to run on top of the HW

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Yes, but OTOH my game starts with three screens to choose the graphics mode, sound and keyboard/mouse controls. And the highest graphics mode it offers is EGA. Not caring about such things and leaving them to the OS is a Good Thing™. As are printer settings for those applications that need printing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Not only is the Internal hardware much improved, the keyboard is hugely improved and is very usable.

https://youtu.be/2zJA6yYkRAM

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
The GPD Win 2 Can run a lot of Modern Games

https://youtu.be/d476g-nDl8E

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post: