Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by framerate View Post
But none of the matters, smart guys like us probably have Ubuntu or OSX on our machines
My analogies failed me rather miserably for that one, plus, I've never owned a Windows machine in all my life (OS X here).

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
2008 came out a week or so after receiving my 2008, and apart from the rss summary's layout - too widely spaced on the home page, I've not missed anything from 2007. I am looking forward to 2008HE for the 770!

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
2008 came out a week or so after receiving my 2008, and apart from the rss summary's layout - too widely spaced on the home page, I've not missed anything from 2007. I am looking forward to 2008HE for the 770!
Nope, won't happen. OS2007 is as far as it will go with the 770. This is because if has the inferior hardware specs, compared to the N810 and N800. OS2008 will not be available for the 770, I am almost positive.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bartsimpson123844 View Post
Nope, won't happen. OS2007 is as far as it will go with the 770. This is because if has the inferior hardware specs, compared to the N810 and N800. OS2008 will not be available for the 770, I am almost positive.
Check your facts.

Yes, there is an OS2008HE in the works for the 770. No we don't know when (or if) it will come out (my money is on March or May if it does), but it is being worked on.

Originally Posted by framerate View Post
2000 was not the upgrade to 98. 2000 was the upgrade in the NT line of Windows, as M.E. was the upgrade to 98 SE and XP after that
In saying that, Windows 2000 was way better than 98. IMO 2000 was the best version of Windows.

Still, you won't see me switching from Kubuntu to Windows any time soon :-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
In saying that, Windows 2000 was way better than 98. IMO 2000 was the best version of Windows.
As Windows 2000 is basically Windows NT 5.0, you'd expect that they finally got it right.

Also, almost the only advantage XP (NT 5.1) has over 2k, is the integration of more drivers. Everything since XP is window dressing (oh lookie, a pun!), and added bugs of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
I will stay out of the Windows discussion, as I am looking to change to a MAC after years of playing with Windows, however...

As far as my experience with OS2008 vs. OS2007, since the upgrade to OS2008 (last week) I have had several issues, all of which I have noticed that others have experienced as well:
1- Choppy internet browsing, browser crashing
2- Poor battery life
3- Desktop Application issues (placement/movement/locking in place)
4- Even sluggish tablet response, despite the overclocking to 400Mhz

There is no question in my mind that the overall interface in OS2008 is much nicer looking [technical term] than is OS2007, and there are general interface imporvments, however after re-flashing twice in a span of 3 hours to correct these issues, and then playing with the table for another week in hopes to resolve the issues, I have decided to move back to OS2007. It worked fine for me and didnīt have these annoying bugs that take away the fun from my otherwise excellent tablet.

My vote - stay OS2007 unless there is something specific that you are looking for in OS2008 (or until some of these issues are addressed).

Good Luck, either way.

Once i've got all my apps installed and tested, i don't want to upgrade ever. However, i've recently had to reflash, so i'm installing the newest. If i'd had a backup that really just worked, i'd never upgrade. As it is, i'm screwed.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
As Windows 2000 is basically Also, almost the only advantage XP (NT 5.1) has over 2k, is the integration of more drivers. Everything since XP is window dressing (oh lookie, a pun!), and added bugs of course.
and the mostly evil that is uPNP.

the only reason why I installed XP instead of 2000 was
a/ it came "free" with my computer as part of the microsoft tax
b/ I find moviemaker to be quite useful

when we buy Toshiba laptops at work they pretty much all come with a vista *and* XP recovery disks, which is great as we wipe and install XP but have a vista license just in case it ever takes off instead of the evil empire folding.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cincinnati, OH
I am worried about the poor battery life issue.