Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
I've been reading through the easy debian threads of yours, but it's very confusing, tons of pages etc.
Can you briefly specify just a rough guide of installing it, as flipping through tens of pages is overwhelming:

Which packages and files necessary and is there a special chrooting technique for them?

Where is your debian rootfs?

If I just wanna expand it then experiment with chrooting it, what are the two packages easy-chroot and easy-deb-chroot for?
I'm truly sorry. This is still an early beta test; I'm looking for people who either already know what this project is about or are willing to do the research to figure it out.

But, because you asked:

A good primer of the technical details of the easy-chroot project can be found here.

Easy Debian adds a more user-friendly layer on easy-chroot by adding an image downloader / installer and two scripts (/sbin/debian and /usr/bin/debbie) for using that particular chroot. It also adds a /home/user/.chroot file which has settings that can be modified.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I found installer to be extremely easy to use - just a fiew clicks; download easydebian-chroot from extras-devel with application manager, then run it, select target flash drive and that's all.

The Following User Says Thank You to arkanoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
A good primer of the technical details of the easy-chroot project can be found here.
Thanks for this reference, I didn't see it before...

I will preface this with I don't have a N900 yet. From what I have read you should be careful messing around with extras-devel with a N900 since you could download programs that have not been optified and cause your phone not to boot.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
the Easy Debian packages should not brick your phone. But you leave Extras Devel enabled at your own risk, of course. You might brick your phone or even download mplayer.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
It looks like the image may have some bad filesystem errors. e2fsck fails after a LOT of warnings. Maybe mine didn't download/extract properly? Does anyone else see the same thing?

Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
It looks like the image may have some bad filesystem errors. e2fsck fails after a LOT of warnings. Maybe mine didn't download/extract properly? Does anyone else see the same thing?
I think you're right; despite the checksums and failsafes, it sounds like your install went badly.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germnay
Install went well on my N900. Just start to experiment right now
What is the root pw ?
I started synaptic from inside Debian and it asks me for the pw.
Or can i just use the synaptic-app that is now on my N900 ?
Nice work !!

Originally Posted by OptX View Post
I started synaptic from inside Debian and it asks me for the pw.
When you say, "inside Debian", what do you mean?

Synaptic should start without password if you run it from the Debian chroot; either choose the menu icon or open the terminal and type "debian synaptic".

Originally Posted by OptX View Post
Or can i just use the synaptic-app that is now on my N900 ?
It should work; I can't promise anything about how usable it is. The Fremantle UI might make it very difficult to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I've been playing with this for a day or so and it works pretty darn well. Next I'm going to install it directly to an SD card instead of using the provided disk image.

qole, you rock.

The Following User Says Thank You to awwaiid For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze