Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Thanks for this daemon - it's very useful. Is there currently any way to configure the daemon, or do you plan to add any? I'd like to

- Enable/disable auto-upload
- Restrict auto-upload to Wi-fi only, forbid in 2G networks, disable when roaming
- Choose the owncloud folder to sync with

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Austria
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Thanks for this daemon - it's very useful. Is there currently any way to configure the daemon, or do you plan to add any? I'd like to

- Enable/disable auto-upload
- Restrict auto-upload to Wi-fi only, forbid in 2G networks, disable when roaming
- Choose the owncloud folder to sync with
1) Already changeable from within the application settings
2) Already the case, upload only happens via WIFI
3) I could add UI to the settings for that, it certainly is easy to add.

EDIT; Also, credit where credit is due:
The initial daemon was provided by Sandsmark, I just fixed some issues like local->remote path matching,
generally improving reliability, memory footprint and I keep on maintaining it.

Last edited by beidl; 2015-02-18 at 01:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to beidl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by beidl View Post
No, the daemon uploads via 3g connection. Not that I'm complaining; I like it better as I seldom bother to use WIFI, even at home.

EDIT: Double checked the version of owncloud client I'm using and that is from Openrepo's.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Austria
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
No, the daemon uploads via 3g connection. Not that I'm complaining; I like it better as I seldom bother to use WIFI, even at home.

EDIT: Double checked the version of owncloud client I'm using and that is from Openrepo's.
OK, this is odd as I just tested it again.
Yes, there was a bug related to uploading via mobile connection but I fixed it.
Care to do a bug report on GitHub and provide additional information?

OK, this is odd as I just tested it again.
Yes, there was a bug related to uploading via mobile connection but I fixed it.
Care to do a bug report on GitHub and provide additional information?
Yup, I'll create a bug report. Is there a log for harbour-owncloud-daemon or do I first kill it and start it on the command line?

Edit: Ok, I found logs under journalctl. I will attach those.

Last edited by Manatus; 2015-02-18 at 17:38.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Internally the app & daemon use qwebdav, and there is no simple and bullet proof way to find duplicates (for example, via file hashes) from arbirtrary locations via the webdav protocol.
It would just upload your local ~/Pictures directory to the remote /Jolla directory. In case a remote file has the same name/relative path locally we assume that it was uploaded by the backup daemon and don't overwrite it.
After all, you usually don't edit pictures on the phone, when you "edit" them via the Gallery app it creates a new file and thats it.
I already had a directory /Jolla in my Owncloud. The app created a directory /Camera under it, and proceeded to upload everything to /Jolla/Camera.
So that means that if a file with the same name is already present there, it won't be uploaded, but if e.g. I made subdirectories under /Jolla/Camera for each month and moved the photos in there, the daemon would assume that those files have not beem uploaded and do it again, yes?
This is an unsolved problem for me also with the Rsync approach, I believe it can't tell either if a file is present in a subdirectory of its target. However, I'd really like to organize those pictures - just having this loooooonnnnnngggggggg, ever growing list is really stupid...

1) Already changeable from within the application settings
3) I could add UI to the settings for that, it certainly is easy to add.
I actually would like to be able to upload over mobile data connection as well. Also customizing the upload dir, pleeze!

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2015-02-23 at 18:22.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
It came to my mind that if the photos were already organized into subfolders at the source location of Rsync command, we could leave that as it is at the target and keep maintaining identical copies.
That way, we can still upload via Rsync without getting duplicates (That won't work if I want the photos organised at my target location, but they're all in one folder on the Jolla.).

I'm hoping that at some point the Jolla camera settings will include the option to automatically store all photos in subfolders by month.
However, until Jolla does make something of the kind, I guess we can still make it work with the tools at hand.

Surely there is a command (available on SailfishOS) that we could put together including some smart placeholders so that it'll always work with new files, moving everything into subfolders, one for each month?

As you surely understand by now, I don't have the skill to do that, so maybe some of the pros here can lend a hand?

Tags
owncloud, rsync, webdav