Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Blackberry territory is hard to penetrate.. I hope they make Blackberry Connect for Maemo. That way it'll act as a 'backup plan' to the end user, they can still make use of blackberry proprietary systems while preparing to move to an open infrastructure. Just like Bootcamp on every Mac that lets them dual boot to Windows.

Ok, call it a trojan horse.
I know Blackberry people that have been using this stuff since it was in pager form. I even have a few of those things lying around somewhere. But anyway, the typical Blackberry people I know generally could care less about technology: It's just another business tool. I've seen them switched to WinCE by different employers; they didn't care. And most, if not all, of these devices are corporate issue.

I believe RIM to be vulnerable. I think Apple does too. Apple's desire for business inroads is obviously now focusing more on the mobile component. And open standards continue to put pressure on proprietary back ends which should leave less and less to do in the server space. If a big player were to seriously set their sites on RIM, some damage could be done. Technology wise, it's just Corporate Information Management. Very unsexy, but not very difficult. A big account here, a big account there... A RIM job if you will.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Peter put too much emphasis on the community filling in the gaps. Even though this is a "cool" device, my opinion is that Nokia should have a narrowly focused business application and marketing division that forces corporate IT departments to think twice about using RIM. Harmattan and it's devices could be the real game changers, and they'll have the n900 to thank for that.
Perhaps stressing the community on this iteration is a good way to get developers developing cool applications and basically kick-start Maemo as a phone brand, there is still one more step to go, which might be an attack on the business side of things once a larger community and following is built up.

I know we are already pretty cool, and we write some nice apps, but I imagine the idea is to draw in far more devs, and even commercial ones a la iPhone.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post

I know we are already pretty cool, and we write some nice apps, but I imagine the idea is to draw in far more devs, and even commercial ones a la iPhone.
That, and re-focus the target audience for the applications written by said devs away from the "geek" crowd and towards "moms of geeks"...again, ala iPhone. Usability and EXTREME ease of configuration (with out-of-the-box working defaults practically mandatory) will be key to gaining wider acceptance.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I know Blackberry people that have been using this stuff since it was in pager form. I even have a few of those things lying around somewhere. But anyway, the typical Blackberry people I know generally could care less about technology: It's just another business tool. I've seen them switched to WinCE by different employers; they didn't care. And most, if not all, of these devices are corporate issue.

I believe RIM to be vulnerable. I think Apple does too. Apple's desire for business inroads is obviously now focusing more on the mobile component. And open standards continue to put pressure on proprietary back ends which should leave less and less to do in the server space. If a big player were to seriously set their sites on RIM, some damage could be done. Technology wise, it's just Corporate Information Management. Very unsexy, but not very difficult. A big account here, a big account there... A RIM job if you will.
To put it simply, it's going to be similar to trying to unseat microsoft from the enterprise desktops. Obviously their level of penetrations aren't as deep\wide as MS, but the proprietary dependencies they've built among their software\hardware\supporting services and the number of users already dependant on it are sufficiently high enough.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's not going to happen (whether they adopt more open standards or a player bringing open standard product that 'gets' both ends of the markets).. it's just not going to be quick and painless.

Forget about BB - I do not care how good the N900 is or is going to be.. the resistance to change is too strong plus in a corporate world you DO NOT want to have an open platform,, you need to control what users have on their phone.. N900 is a consumer device perhaps good fit for small businesses at most..big corporations-nope!

Originally Posted by bAxon View Post
Forget about BB - I do not care how good the N900 is or is going to be.. the resistance to change is too strong plus in a corporate world you DO NOT want to have an open platform,, you need to control what users have on their phone.. N900 is a consumer device perhaps good fit for small businesses at most..big corporations-nope!
Anything can be locked down [see Archos], and history has shown again and again that your view is myopic and wrong. Otherwise, I would be writing this message from my IBM n810.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Anything can be locked down [see Archos], and history has shown again and again that your view is myopic and wrong. Otherwise, I would be writing this message from my IBM n810.
Are you writing it from your personal phone or corporate assigned phone?

Let me just say that I write from US market prospective; maybe in Europe n900 would be a great corporate phone.. it is not going to 'fly' in US as a BB replacement period and that is what I had in mind when I wrote the post above. It would be a waste of resources in my view (myopic view) to try to push n900 as a potential BB replacement or a corporate/ enterprise tool. (i think this is getting off the topic).

I am planning on purchasing n900 as a hobby tool (toy?) to see what I can do with it and have some fun in a process and I think this is Nokia's intention at the moment. n900 is not enterprise ready (at least for US market).. 3-5 yrs from now.. could be a different story..

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Are you writing it from your personal phone or corporate assigned phone?

Let me just say that I write from US market prospective; maybe in Europe n900 would be a great corporate phone.. it is not going to 'fly' in US as a BB replacement period and that is what I had in mind when I wrote the post above. It would be a waste of resources in my view (myopic view) to try to push n900 as a potential BB replacement or a corporate/ enterprise tool. (i think this is getting off the topic).

I am planning on purchasing n900 as a hobby tool (toy?) to see what I can do with it and have some fun in a process and I think this is Nokia's intention at the moment. n900 is not enterprise ready (at least for US market).. 3-5 yrs from now.. could be a different story..
If it's all the same to you, I'm going to let the corporations decide that.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If it's all the same to you, I'm going to let the corporations decide that.
we don't have much choice in a business world, do we?

Last edited by bAxon; 2009-09-08 at 01:05.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
we don't have much choice in a business world, do we?
You don't explain any of the real reasons why you don't think the N900 could be used in business. You just say it being open is bad... well, I can tell you that's wrong. The N900 being as open as it is means endless possible customizations and custom applications.