Hi there forum

I'm new to the forum.

I've just downloaded the STARDICT dictionary application onto my N800 and would like to know how to load it with dictionaries (esp . Collins, Oxford English dictionaries).

When I call the application it says there are no dictionaries present .

Hope someone can help in basic language.
If there's anything else you'd like to know, please ask.

Also, can the ORIGINAL N800 take 8gb mini-sd memory cards in the slots?? The 128mb that came with the unit is NOT nearly enough (thought I'd ask 2 questions in one?)

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by n800fm View Post
Hi there forum

I'm new to the forum.

Also, can the ORIGINAL N800 take 8gb mini-sd memory cards in the slots?? The 128mb that came with the unit is NOT nearly enough (thought I'd ask 2 questions in one?)

Thanks for your help.
Don't know about the first question, but yes, you can put 2 8GB SDHC cards in the N800.

Craig...

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
Don't know about the first question, but yes, you can put 2 8GB SDHC cards in the N800.

Craig...
Thanks Craig - but I'm getting conflicting info from the tech spec of the Nokia site:

"MemoryRAM 128
Flash 256MB, 128 MiniSD with extender included in sales package
Two internal memory card slots, compatible with SD, MicroSD, MiniSD, MMC, and RS-MMC. Compatible with cards up to 2GB, total configuration up to 4GB. "

Wondering what would happen if I DID put in 2 8gb cards ...hmm ;-(

What I did is create a folder called Dictionaries in my SD card, so it's /media/mmc1/Dictionaries, and then extract the dictionary files I've downloaded into it, like from here for example: http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict...w.dict.org.php

Then I create a symlink to the folder in x-term with this command:
Code:
ln -sf /media/mmc1/Dictionaries ~/.stardict/dic
That way you can add as much dictionaries as you want without worrying about hogging too much of the N800's memory.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zanglang For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ North Carolina
Thanks Craig - but I'm getting conflicting info from the tech spec of the Nokia site:

"MemoryRAM 128
Flash 256MB, 128 MiniSD with extender included in sales package
Two internal memory card slots, compatible with SD, MicroSD, MiniSD, MMC, and RS-MMC. Compatible with cards up to 2GB, total configuration up to 4GB. "

Wondering what would happen if I DID put in 2 8gb cards ...hmm ;-(

If you upgrade to the latest firmware they fixed the sdhc support so that you can add the 4 8 or 16 Gb sdhc cards. I loaded the firmware and have 2 8 Gb cards in mine works great. Have maps emails and docs on the internal and movies and music on the external.

Dave

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Hi there forum

I'm new to the forum.

I've just downloaded the STARDICT dictionary application onto my N800 and would like to know how to load it with dictionaries (esp . Collins, Oxford English dictionaries).

When I call the application it says there are no dictionaries present .

Hope someone can help in basic language.
1) Open up File Manager and click on 'Removable memory card' and create a folder here called 'stardict' . Then within this folder create another folder called 'dic'. [folder names have to named exactly as stated]
StarDict automatically reads dictionaries that are in:
"media/mmc1/stardict/dic" [as above]
"media/mmc2/stardict/dic"
"~/.stardict/dic"
"usr/share/stardict/dic"

2) Download Collins, Oxford English dictionaries from here:
http://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dict...w.dict.org.php

You want the 'tarball' version which when you download it will be called xxxxxx.tar.bz2 or such.

You can extract this compressed file as follows:
a) If you downloaded it to your Windows machine & have 7-zip installed for example :
- right-click on xxxxxx.tar.bz2 and then click on 'extract here'; this will give you a file called xxxxxx.tar
- right-click on xxxxxx.tar and then click on 'extract here'; this will give you a folder called xxxxxx(containing 3 files).
-Transfer this folder from your Windows machine into your recently created 'dic' folder on your NIT
DONE

b) If you downloaded it to your Linux machine:
- extract it as follows: tar -xjvf xxxxxx.tar.bz2
-Transfer this folder from your Linux machine into your recently created 'dic' folder on your NIT

c) If you download it directly to your NIT into the 'dic' folder just created.
-[could not find a way to extract them in Xterm using 'tar xv xxxxxx.tar.bz2' or such ][anybody know??]
- The easiest way I found to extract them, strangely enough, is to install another dictionary program called WhiteStork
- Once installed, start WhiteStork and from the menu click on 'Dictionaries' and then on 'Load dictionary'. Here select xxxxxx.tar.bz2 that you previously downloaded into your 'dic' folder. WhiteStork will ask you whether you want to 'use it immediately' and whether you want to 'optimize' it: choose 'yes' for both[As a side benefit you now have 2 dictionary programs to access your dictionaries]

I know that the initial set-up is quite a bit of work, however I find that StarDict's ability to (optionally) automatically throw up a definition whenever you highlight something in a program running on the NIT (browser, FBReader etc) is worth the trouble.

I have attached a couple of screenshots of StarDict , with auto 'scan' option turned on, interacting with FBReader and Google News.
Attached Images

Last edited by ichmoimeyo; 2007-11-10 at 20:07.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ichmoimeyo For This Useful Post:
Wow!! Well I have to say, that the responses, have been informative AND clear.
"CVmiller" - Thanks for your input, possibly you thought I DID have the current upgrade, which apparently goes up to 18gb!!!

Thanks 'I_dont-Know' - it appears that you DO know.

"Zanglang" & "Ichmoimeyo" thanks tremendously - especially you "Ichmoimeyo" for your comprehensive explanation described in step-by-step stages which (being a newbie) is easily followed.

Thanks to all - I off to do a proper installation of 'stardict' (funnily enough, I did have 'whitestork' installed - but it was the loading dictionaries thing again).

But first I have to upgrade to the latest version of the N800, which I've been putting off, because I've installed so many applications and will lose them with the flashing - unless you all know different.

I CAN use the 'backup' facility but as you all know, that only saves settings, emails...etc - NOT the user installed applications.

If anyone knows how I can protect my installations from the upgrade - barring re-installing ALL of them ....please let me know.

I think I read somewhere that the NIT now is 'SKYPE-enabled', the screen is MORE sensitive?

And the upgrade allows mem-cards up 16gb EACH SLOT???? TRUE???

Thank you all once again ;-)

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo View Post
I know that the initial set-up is quite a bit of work, however I find that StarDict's ability to (optionally) automatically throw up a definition whenever you highlight something in a program running on the NIT (browser, FBReader etc) is worth the trouble.

I have attached a couple of screenshots of
Just wondering how do you do that without keyboard on N800? What is the key sequence you use?

hi,

I have been not been able to get my installation of stardict to 'see' the dictionary.

Here is the detail: I have N800 with the lastest OS2008 and have a 16GB for /media/mmc1. My version of stardict is 2.4.8-maemo.r4 and it was installed using the .install file at http://maemo.org. I did not received any installation error.

After install of the startdict, I downloaded one of the dictionaries(the Moby Thesaurus) from the startdict site. I followed the instruction as suggested by ichmoimeyo's post earlier. I created /media/mmc1/stardict/dic and put the extracted dictionary files(set of 3 files) into that folder. However, everytime I launch the startdict application, it complains about no dictionary. I have also tried to copy the extracted dictionary files into /usr/share/stardict/dic folder directly(after setting myself as root); however, it also did not work either.

Please help.
Cheve

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Originally Posted by cheve View Post
I have also tried to copy the extracted dictionary files into /usr/share/stardict/dic folder directly(after setting myself as root); however, it also did not work either.
Make sure you have kept the directory structure of the dictionary files. For example, the English Thesaurus comes in a tarball named "stardict-thesaurus-ee-2.4.2.tar.bz2". Verify that you have extracted the files and the containing directory into "/usr/share/stardict/" as follows:
Code:
/usr/share/stardict/dic/stardict-thesaurus-ee-2.4.2/thesaurus-ee.dict.dz
/usr/share/stardict/dic/stardict-thesaurus-ee-2.4.2/thesaurus-ee.idx
/usr/share/stardict/dic/stardict-thesaurus-ee-2.4.2/thesaurus-ee.ifo
Perhaps you incorrectly put the files one directory up (i.e. directly into "/usr/share/stardict/dic/")?