Active Topics

Notices

For the life of me I cannot find the twoweapon command, must be playing nethack too much. Anyone have an idea?

yay
it's been ported to os2008 already
http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/

I keep finding chest, i can pick them up, but how do i open them?
i tried 'o' but i had to put it down, and then i can't do anything wwith it.. Its going to be a simple answer, but i' out f ideas.

BT

if the chest is locked you have to "force lock" then "loot" it.
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ France
You can also "kick" it, but their are some potions in it, they may brake

Last edited by rheve; 2008-06-05 at 21:21.

I had a great game going and the n800 suddenly restarts when I killed my quest nemesis. It's happened several times all in the late game. Anyone have this problem?

LOL.. if only! I have been playing nethack for years and rarely get past the castle in the mid levels. I just can't sit down and play it for hours anymore. Its more of a diversion for me now, but its one of my "must haves."

I have had variations on nethack (Rogue, Angstrom, etc) on almost every portable device out there from WM and Palm PDAs to my n810. Still nothing beats the real thing.
Nokia n810 Diablo
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Has a newer port been released? Where?
Nokia n810 Diablo

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
I have had variations on nethack (Rogue, Angstrom, etc) on almost every portable device out there from WM and Palm PDAs to my n810. Still nothing beats the real thing.
Well, if nothing beats the real thing, then I would go with the original DOS version and run it through Dosbox.

I've got a copy of this myself with 3 different color patches that were applied to it by a buddy of mine.

It looks really great and doesn't affect any of the gameplay.

If there is someplace that I could upload it, I'd be more than willing to do so.

Well, I personally don't care too much for Nethack on OS 2008. It's a pretty crappy build with too many scroll bars and no on screen keyboard. Sorry Joseph.

There is always using Telnet and going to nethack.alt.org.

The problem with this though is that the number keys are upside down and I can't get a good font with the standard Xterm program that comes with 2008, that and the keyboard takes up a good chunk of the screen as well.

In my opinion, that absolute best option (perhaps only a possibility) is to find a great font for Xterm, going to nethack.alt.org (if you have wireless internet at home) using Telnet, only use the rotated screen option (which I still haven't figured out how to do).

With the screen rotated, I think this would produce the best looking version to play.

The only problem that I can think of for this would be setting up the custom options in your game's configuration profile thingie for playing Nethack online.

There are some really intense options that I don't know much about, such as:
align_message, align_status, ascii_map, color, eight_bit_tty, font_map, font_menu, font_message, font_status, font_text, font_size_map, font_size_menu, font_size_message, font_size_status, font_size_text, fullscreen, hilite_pet, large_font, map_mode, mouse_support, player_selection, popup_dialog, preload_tiles, scroll_amount, scroll_margin, softkeyboard, splash_screen, tiled_map, tile_file, tile_height, tile_width, use_inverse, vary_msgcount, windowcolors, wraptext, and on some operating systems, altkeyhandler, altmeta, BIOS, flush, MACgraphics, page_wait, rawio, soundcard, subkeyvalue, video, videocolors, videoshades.

I'm sure if you can figure out a good way to have the game displayed on a rotated screen, then this is definitely the way to go.

I would love it if someone could figure out the options and a good sized screen font to have the game played so that the character was in the middle of the screen at all times.

Basically, every time you move, the map moves instead of your character. I'm pretty sure this can be done, but I don't know how. Perhaps you could always go visit the people on IRC in Freenode.

Hope that makes some sense.

Well, sorry for such a long winded post.

You have my apologies.

I think it's great, there are a lot of scrollbars but I just play with the stylus in one hand and my other hand holding the 810 by the keyboard hitting hotkeys, and the scrollbars are easy with the stylus.

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of that terrible grey cloudy background for unexplored squares? I have no idea why that was chosen over simple, elegant black.

(thread is an oldie but a goodie )