Notices

The developer of this package seems to have gone inactive. Is there anyone out there with the skills and the time to make it compatible with OS2008? (And perhaps add hardware keyboard support)

http://n770galaxy.blogspot.com/

It'd be a shame if such a good project died

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
I hoping Santa will bring me an n810 for xmas, and if she does I'll definitely want Nethack on it.

The bad news is I know nothing about maemo development.

The good news is that I know the nethack sources backwards (I did the Psion 5 port of nethack), and it only took a few changes to the existing maemo port to get it to compile in scratchbox.

So if Josep Torra really isn't going to continue maintaining the maemo nethack I expect I'll want to pick it up.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Well, here's to hoping that your wife will love come Christmas morning then, Duncan.

I would personally love you myself, but I don't know how attractive you are.

By the way, would you be putting some of your own touches to the port if you did end up taking that on as a project?

Just asking.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I hoping Santa will bring me an n810 for xmas, and if she does I'll definitely want Nethack on it.

The bad news is I know nothing about maemo development.

The good news is that I know the nethack sources backwards (I did the Psion 5 port of nethack), and it only took a few changes to the existing maemo port to get it to compile in scratchbox.

So if Josep Torra really isn't going to continue maintaining the maemo nethack I expect I'll want to pick it up.
<Coquettisch voice> ~Hiiii there Duncan!~

Done any work with SDL?

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Smothermunchie View Post
By the way, would you be putting some of your own touches to the port if you did end up taking that on as a project?

Just asking.
I'd obviously do a build without changes first: it seems mostly to work, I've spotted a few issues but I don't know if they are specific to my build or not (e.g. when asked if you want to see your inventory etc. after you die you have yes/no/cancel options and I'd expect cancel to stop asking the questions but it doesn't).

Then, yes, I have a few things I'd like to see: I think the screen real-estate could be better used so I'd like to play around a bit with the general layout. Also the menus could probably be tidied up.

I'm not one for using pretty graphic tiles: the ascii tileset is IMHO much clearer, but on the Psion I ended up with a character set that had tile-like representations for a few dungeon features (like boulders that were big and round) so I want to see if I can find a similar compromise tileset and include it.

The other big thing would to incorporate hearse support somewhere. Possibly automated whenever you start/end or save your game. (Configurable of course in case there are people who prefer not to use hearse).

ArnimS, do you mean as in pygame? No, I can't say I have.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Then, yes, I have a few things I'd like to see: I think the screen real-estate could be better used so I'd like to play around a bit with the general layout. Also the menus could probably be tidied up.

I'm not one for using pretty graphic tiles: the ascii tileset is IMHO much clearer, but on the Psion I ended up with a character set that had tile-like representations for a few dungeon features (like boulders that were big and round) so I want to see if I can find a similar compromise tileset and include it.

The other big thing would to incorporate hearse support somewhere. Possibly automated whenever you start/end or save your game. (Configurable of course in case there are people who prefer not to use hearse).
That was exactly what I was hoping to hear!

My power of suggestion worked!

But yeah, the screen layout was a real downer, especially the main display screen. I was pretty disenfranchised on how everything seemed to have some sort of scrolling feature that was being implemented. I'd much prefer the screen and windows to be much more static then how it was presented. I think that the twitchy movement of your character and other graphics was because of both the scroll bars on the sides of the display. Nothing felt like it was being held smoothly together with all of the scrolling in the game.

Also, without a standard, traditional keyboard interface to use, made many commands counterintuitive. Just trying to pick up several items off the ground or changing several in-game options limited you to only one choice at a time.

Well, just don't go disappearing on us, you sound like a person with many talents.

Besides, ArnimS could use a little competition. I think he's about all we have left here in the scene.

Edit:
Just saw some screenshots of your port, Duncan. Now that's what I'm talking about!

Last edited by Addison; 2007-12-06 at 01:30.

I just realised my thread had really good replies. I was sure I'd subscribed. This is excellent news.

It'll be so nice to be able to play Nethack on the train again. Getting the current version we have running again would be ace but if you decide to pick up the project and make it your own that would be so much better. I'd love to see what a fresh pair of experienced Nethack porting hands can do with it.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ La Pêche, Québec, Canada
Just to have something, I took the code from Josep Torra's web site and built it against the chinook SDK. No change in the code except for a rename of a single include.
The updated deb is available here.

It works much better than the OS2007 version -- as it actually starts up... Your mileage may vary, of course. Just something to hold us up until a blessed version is actually released...

Robert B.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roblynn For This Useful Post:
That's excellent! Thank you It installed and ran fine. I shall have a game on the train tomorrow.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
That's excellent! Thank you It installed and ran fine. I shall have a game on the train tomorrow.
Man! You just can't "have a game on the train" with Nethack!

If you want to play Nethack, stock up on food for two weeks, buy lots of deodorant and put the phones off the hook. And even then that's considered a quickie.

True Nethackers are on long-term treatment for bedsores, muscle atrophia and scurvy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post: