Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Quick question about the n900 battery. Is it best to charge the n900 when it approaches low battery levels e.g. 10%? or can I charge it at anytime at any level without lowering the efficiency of the battery? I don't know much about batteries but I hear some battery types lose effectiveness the more you recharge and eventually, the battery cannot hold hardly any charge.

What can people tell me about this? Thanks in advance

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
You can charge anytime, in fact Li-Ion batteries like in the N900 prefer not being drained too much or being charged too hard. If you can keep them between 20 and 90% you'll probably get the best life out of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
I think with this type of battery the recommended way is many short charging cycles rather than use it until it's dead, charge it until it is full. In other words, put it on charger whenever possible...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Does it state any of this on their website? (If anyone can remember) Thanks both of you, I appreciate it!

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
It's just general lithium-ion battery advice. Also, slower, low-power charges are better. So the AC wall charger which puts out 1200mA an charged the N900 really fast is actually worse for its battery long-term than the day-long USB 500mA recharges. Go figure

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Rotterdam - Netherlands, the
Originally Posted by floffe View Post
You can charge anytime, in fact Li-Ion batteries like in the N900 prefer not being drained too much or being charged too hard. If you can keep them between 20 and 90% you'll probably get the best life out of them.
I charge when I'm asleep... so this would be bad for my phone???
Cause after 2 hours it's at 97%... till I wake up.

Maybe this is the reason it never gets to 100%??

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ That beer and prezels country in Europe -_-
Maybe do
hal-device bme | grep battery
in x-term and look at

battery.reporting.current (current state)
battery.reporting.last_full (last time charged)
battery.reporting.design (what it should be OOTB)
?
These are mAh. If this is somewhere near (last_full / design) * 100 = 97% this is explaining what it shows.

Mine is at 14% charged with current / design = 187/1250 = 0,149 = 14%
and has a ratio of 1044 / 1250 = 83,52%. I will do a complete recharge and report the results afterwards.

Last edited by Renkon; 2010-01-19 at 01:01.

More info: http://wiki.maemo.org/Batteries

I dont tend to charge mine until its low (just entered red) as there are a limited number of charge cycles (several hundred) but not entirely sure what defines a charge cycle as you can topup charge without that counting.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ That beer and prezels country in Europe -_-
When the operating time (talk-time and standby time) is noticeably shorter than normal, it is time to buy a new battery.
That's the reason they released the new update. Nokia wants to sell more batteries

Originally Posted by Renkon View Post
That's the reason they released the new update. Nokia wants to sell more batteries
I know you are probably being sarcastic but im getting waay more time out of mine since update.

Oh and good discussion about battery percentage linked from bottom of battery wiki: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7636

The Following User Says Thank You to Cas07 For This Useful Post: