Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
attached is the text from an email exchange I have had with Wayfinder support regarding the traffic updates, at least in the UK from working. These have now not been working for several weeks now. I also asked about map updates, and the response, to me at least, indicates that wayfinder is now effectively a discontinued product, although they still sell licences.

Yes I know that voice-guided navigation still works, but map updates, traffic and safety camera updates, were the main reasons why I paidout for a licence 9 months ago. 36 months at that - What a fool I was. If anyone who reads this has any influence to get at a honest sensible statement out of wayfinder, either Nokia or maemo community council, then it would be appreciated. Positive action would be better!

Thanks you for your reply, although it is less than I had hoped for. I guess the question I should have asked was "If" not "When".

I actually feel very disappointed and let down about this. I had purchased a 36 month licence, expecting safety camera, traffic, and map updates for that period. That expectation appears to have been false after only about 9 months.

This level of customer support would definately prevent me from purchasing or recommending any other product from Wayfinder again.

Regards

Gary Dawes

2009/4/6 <nokia.support@wayfinder.com>

Dear Sir
Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately we don't have any updates on this issue. We don't have any information at this point on when there will be any other updates either.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

With best regards
Jenni H.
Customer support
Wayfinder Systems AB
nokia.support@wayfinder.com

> Hi Jenni
>
> Have you got any idea when the traffic and camera updates will be working
> again, as it is now about 3 weeks since I logged the call
>
> Also do you know if there will be any more updates to the maps and poi
> database for the Nokia Internet tablets, and if there is when that will be?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary
>
> 2009/3/19 <nokia.support@wayfinder.com>
>
> > Dear Sir
> > Thank you for contacting Wayfinder
> >
> > Unfortunately there is a problem on our server that makes the traffic
> > information and traffic camera updates unsuccessful. I will write down your
> > email address, and be sure to contact you when this problem has been fixed.
> > We apologize for any inconvenience.
> >
> > If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.
> >
> > With best regards
> > Jenni H.
> > Customer support
> > Wayfinder Systems AB
> > nokia.support@wayfinder.com
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > This e-mail has been sent from www.wayfinder.com
> > > --------------------------------------------------
> > > IP: 77.
> > > Date and time: den 18 mars 2009 21:06:56
> > > Device: Nokia N800
> > > Name: gary dawes
> > > E-mail address:
> > > License key:
> > > Description:
> > > Wayfinder on my tablet is not receiving any traffic updates. Traffic
> > information, and dynamic routing are both enabled, and I have tried several
> > update intervals, as well as manual.
> > >
> > > The update process runs as before, and I receive a message "update
> > sucessful", but no data.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
If anyone who reads this has any influence to get at a honest sensible statement out of wayfinder, either Nokia or maemo community council
It's far far outside any sphere of our influence, I'm afraid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Thanks Andrew

It's a real shame about Wayfinder as it could have been and should be a flagship app for the tablets. I have just checked the online maps on the wayfinder site, and they are a lot more up to date than what they have released for the tablet, so they have the data.

And if anybody says "Fixed in Fremantle" then.....

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The prevailing wisdom seems to be that Fremantle will bring Nokia Maps to Maemo. There's been no official word on the matter though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
quite frankly the gps function with routing (wayfinder) was the sole reason i bought the n810 to "replace" my 770 i bought a 3 year license to wayfinder as well-

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thanks Andrew

It's a real shame about Wayfinder as it could have been and should be a flagship app for the tablets. I have just checked the online maps on the wayfinder site, and they are a lot more up to date than what they have released for the tablet, so they have the data.

The shame is that it was shown off by Nokia as a flagship app in Chicago back in 2007 on the N800. It wasn't available for sale until about 3 months after that. When it was available it was sold @ $249 in the US exclusively through Nokia which used a third party for order fulfillment. Forum members who dealt with this third party directly found that the third party was willing to sell it for $219 without Nokia's involvement just 3 weeks after this exclusivity was announced.

This was all back when it was owned by Navicore. Somewhere along the line it was sold to Wayfinder. When that happen those of us who bought "Lifetime" licenses found that after "upgrading", the only thing that changed was the licensing terms and the start-up screen. We now all had 36 month licenses.

Somewhere along the line I think Nokia bought, then sold the company. Some of us had high hopes that they would do something about the low quality of the software but nothing changed.(The software works but remains 3rd generation at a time when even sub $100 PND's have 5th generation navigation software on them.) Am I bitter?

...not realy. You live and you learn, but I do have a good memory.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-07 at 22:02. Reason: wrong

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
...not realy. You live and you learn, but I do have a good memory.
u r not the only 1 w/ a good memory

The Following User Says Thank You to prk60091 For This Useful Post:
I think good customer service would make this right. Perhaps Nokia could provide a discount to customers (who bought this now discontinued product) on a Nokia Map product in the future.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Or maybe Nokia should just release Nokia Maps for free on the N8x0, or help Navit or Maemo Mapper...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
This was all back when it was owned by Navicore. Somewhere along the line it was sold to Wayfinder. When that happen those of us who bought "Lifetime" licenses found that after "upgrading", the only thing that changed was the licensing terms and the start-up screen. We now all had 36 month licenses.

Somewhere along the line I think Nokia bought, then sold the company.
It's an unfortunate situation, but I don't think Nokia has ever bought the company. Navicore was a relatively small Finnish company. It was bought in 2007 by Wayfinder, a Swedish company. Wayfinder was then bought in late 2008 by Vodafone.

In general I don't think Nokia generally goes around buying and then quickly selling companies. At least I'm not aware of those kind of examples...

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:

Tags
gps, navicore, satnav, vodafone, wayfinder