What version number would we use? My perspective was: Nokia created Diablo, Nokia maintained Diablo, and now Nokia has turned Diablo maintenance over to the community (with some closed-source handcuffs). So I personally would be comfortable with talking about a new Diablo version. For everyone who has it hardwired into their heads that Maemo = Nokia, this could be confusing. But the confusion could be greatly helped by just appending to the version number something like CE for community edition (I like that better than HE). So I like incrementing the Diablo version number and adding something like CE.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I'm game.

Sent you a PM Ima.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
What version number would we use? My perspective was: Nokia created Diablo, Nokia maintained Diablo, and now Nokia has turned Diablo maintenance over to the community (with some closed-source handcuffs). So I personally would be comfortable with talking about a new Diablo version. For everyone who has it hardwired into their heads that Maemo = Nokia, this could be confusing. But the confusion could be greatly helped by just appending to the version number something like CE for community edition (I like that better than HE). So I like incrementing the Diablo version number and adding something like CE.
Certainly, I fully agree. I guess I wasn't very clear... What I was trying to say was that taking over the "Maemo Official" Products in BugZilla necessarily means using a bumped version at that time, and that confusion could ensue if uninformed speculation came out of that before the Community SSU was more officially announced. Think of what would be happening right now if Nokia had officially ditched Fremantle, and then a new version number was mentioned somewhere with no prior clarification. That was all I was saying - a matter of timing, not saying it was a bad idea.

Originally Posted by jaem View Post
if it's listed under the "Official platform/applications" section in the bugtracker, we're essentially redefining "official"
The confusion with the word "Official" could perhaps be avoided by renaming the classifications, but another problem is the QA contacts (which are shared with Fremantle so we can't change them and we don't want to spam Nokia with "our" bugs either).

So, after some consideration I'm leaning towards the separate product option. I propose we create a "community-something" product under Extras, with some pre-defined components based on what patches are currently available, plus a "general" or "other" in case something fresh comes along.

Workflow-wise, should we re-assign the existing bugs to Extras/Community/whatever or clone them?

I don't really think option #1 is a viable choice, though, especially in the long term.
To be honest, I don't see this as a very long term activity. There are only a finite number of contributed patches we can package after all, and I remain hopeful that Mer^2 and/or Meego will provide a more viable distribution for the OMAP2 devices in the long run.

Do we (we being the maemo.org team and/or the community at large) have anything currently set up that would work provisionally for bug reporting? I don't mean a full tracker, but a forum thread is a very inefficient and ineffective method for bug reporting. At the very least, why don't we start a new one for testing, and leave this one for discussion?
You mean something other than bugs.maemo.org? I'd like to avoid that if possible for various reasons (the bugs, discussions and patches are already on bmo, users shouldn't have to create yet another account to file bugs etc).

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
What version number would we use?
At the moment I'm using the pre-existing versionsing scheme, simply because I didn't want to think too much about it (the testing SSU is '5.2010-09-2" for example, or perhaps it should start with 6?) but it's not cast in stone, ideas welcome. Keep in mind that for all intents and purposes it is a slightly patched Diablo so a radical departure like calling it Elephanta or something would seem misleading/inappropriate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So I installed the Community SSU Enabler (from the link lma sent me), and it installed cleanly with no fuss into my highly modded multi-boot SD partition.

What do I do now? It isn't clear.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So I installed the Community SSU Enabler (from the link lma sent me), and it installed cleanly with no fuss into my highly modded multi-boot SD partition.

What do I do now? It isn't clear.
The application manager should offer the update after a manual refresh (needed so that it will see the packages with the new priority defined by the enabler package). If it doesn't please clear the log, refresh again and post the contents of the log here (or PM me if you prefer).

I had one report where an SD-booted N800 didn't see the update, but the problem turned out to be that the catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com repositories were configured twice and removing the duplicate repositories fixed it. Not sure why that would happen (both copies had the default 500 priority) or if there's anything that can be done about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
The confusion with the word "Official" could perhaps be avoided by renaming the classifications, but another problem is the QA contacts (which are shared with Fremantle so we can't change them and we don't want to spam Nokia with "our" bugs either).

So, after some consideration I'm leaning towards the separate product option. I propose we create a "community-something" product under Extras, with some pre-defined components based on what patches are currently available, plus a "general" or "other" in case something fresh comes along.
Your reasoning makes sense.
To be honest, I don't see this as a very long term activity. There are only a finite number of contributed patches we can package after all, and I remain hopeful that Mer^2 and/or Meego will provide a more viable distribution for the OMAP2 devices in the long run.
Okay, I guess I had some misconceptions, then. In that case, you can disregard most of what I said. :P

You mean something other than bugs.maemo.org? I'd like to avoid that if possible for various reasons (the bugs, discussions and patches are already on bmo, users shouldn't have to create yet another account to file bugs etc).
See my previous bit... I was under the assumption that this was longer-term, and that there would be further testing before it was "released" in a larger sense. I thus was just thinking that practically anything would be a better medium for it than a forum. Disregard that too.

Sorry for the confusion.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, I figured out my problem. My hacked rotation-enabled (+ fast SD I/O) kernel and xserver-omap are blocking any version of osso-software-version-rx34 from being installed.

Don't suppose you could include those hacks in your version? I do like my rotation...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yep. I have the same rotation kernel thingie as qole.

Just go ahead and flash a clean Diablo for this?

You could uninstall (sob! ) the beautiful hacked kernel and xserver-omap packages, then install this SSU that will fix the PDF reader.

You could then turn around and re-install the hacked kernel, of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo