Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
About the N900 now... Maemo5 is the best OS ever conceived so who cares for anything else
Maemo 5 may have been the best OS ever conceived, but the implementation is less than perfect - there are a lot of hacks to make things work (why can't we upgrade the Python version for example?)

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Maemo 5 may have been the best OS ever conceived, but the implementation is less than perfect - there are a lot of hacks to make things work (why can't we upgrade the Python version for example?)
The maemo/meego thing is odd, I loved my n900 maybe more than any phone I have ever owned. But my n9 is close, maybe more than the n900. They are just so opposite and great at what they do. The n900 was a mobile computer with a phone tacked on, nokia just screwed up by putting in to small of a battery, and maybe underpowered it. The n9 is a true smartphone and not a computer, and its the best smartphone OS ever made. I did use my laptop less with my n900 than any other time with any other phone. That being said I don't know if I would go back to that after using meego, the ui makes it so fast to get around and use the thing. I'm my ideal world I would have a maemo tablet 7-10" that synced well with my meego phone. But none of that will ever happen, so I'm hoping sailfish will impress me as much as these 2 phones did. And why shouldn't it, its a lot of the same developers, and they don't have nokia to hold them back and give them the scraps for hardware. We might finally see a continuation of our devices that is fully powered for once, and that is what i am really hoping for.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
fantastic post!

i will only dissagree with N900 being kid of underpowered.
it was not. it was a true beast back in 2009.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
fantastic post!

i will only dissagree with N900 being kid of underpowered.
it was not. it was a true beast back in 2009.
Yeah you're right there, but for sure screwed up with the battery life, that was my achilles heel with that device, for its time It was a powerhouse. I would love to have this on a 7" tablet with something like gs3 guts or more, android tablets are so clumsy, and as good as ipads are that is totally app based, the Ui is a waste on that big screen. Maemo on modern tablet would be amazing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
Yeah you're right there, but for sure screwed up with the battery life, that was my achilles heel with that device, for its time It was a powerhouse. I would love to have this on a 7" tablet with something like gs3 guts or more, android tablets are so clumsy, and as good as ipads are that is totally app based, the Ui is a waste on that big screen. Maemo on modern tablet would be amazing.
Yep, Maemo 5 is a perfect tablet OS. Works on a small screen but also on large. When Honeycomb was presented it was more Maemo 5 than Android. Stupid Nokia, everything they created was godly, but others seemed to appreciate it when Nokia themselves would kill it off.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Yep, Maemo 5 is a perfect tablet OS. Works on a small screen but also on large. When Honeycomb was presented it was more Maemo 5 than Android. Stupid Nokia, everything they created was godly, but others seemed to appreciate it when Nokia themselves would kill it off.
...And let us not forget the gorgeous Symbian Series 90.

it was stunning, years ahead of the competition (Symbian S60/80, Symbian uiq, WM 2003, etc) but was killed off by Nokia before its debut. Exact same story with Meego Harmattan &N9)

in that case it was the Symbian S90 & 7710.

it died in order to let S60 live unharmed.
maemo5 died in favor of S^1 and N97

meego harmattan died for wp7

enough with the OS-martyrs!! nokia disgusts me

it died in order to let S60 live unharmed.
maemo5 died in favor of S^1 and N97

meego harmattan died for wp7

enough with the OS-martyrs!! nokia disgusts me
Just the thought of nokia choosing the n97 over the n900 makes you wonder how anyone could possibly make that decision. One is the future and amaing, one is a horrible transition from the past that does not work at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waldo For This Useful Post:
The N97 is THE WORST SMARTPHONE Nokia ever produced.
The amount of fail amazes me still...

too bad, because it is qwerty and kinda beautifully looking. but it is plagued with bugs. countless bugs...

It hit the selves summer of 2009 , couple of months prior to N900. we all know how it ended.. we all know the internal "civil-war" between maemo and symbian teams.. and who won

*our only hope is Jolla of course (or an ultra-cool BB10 device)

Last edited by HELLASISGREECE; 2013-01-04 at 19:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Just to let you all know, Jolla called for a quick poll to know how many people still own a N9. Go to their facebook page and like and comment. probably they are counting the market reach

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chai For This Useful Post:

Tags
circle jerk