Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think without oc-ing, maybe one could expect life of ten years. With, it might be only five. That's my guess.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
First thing that came up to my mind when i saw threads about overclocking was data corruption. And not so surprisingly Igor Stoppa (one of main engineers in n900 power management team) said that they will overclock but there might be data corruption due to the fact that OS is optimized to run on stock speeds.*

So I would say that we might already seen some "half" bricked devices :| People posting threads about camera not writing files or cases where app just stops working or hangs. Of course these might be real bugs but if the user experiencing problems has OC his/hers n900 then I would say to these people "talk to the hand" because there is no reason to waste time on devices that have been gone stress that they were not meant to be used. Or at least i would highly suspect any bug reports from people who have overclocked.

Just search his messages around here and in devel mail list.
I have to agree here.
Since I espect some issues now, may be or may be not related to overclocking.
Before 3-4 days (with OC 850 250) I have wireless access in the kids room. Tonigh I have contact connect and disconnect due poor signal ( 850 250).

Before 7-8 days I charged my battery (the charger was warm I don't know why) and after 3 days my N900 was on 50 %.
Now I charged my battery yesterday (the charger was cold) and today it was on 20 % with only one call and stand by.
3 days = 50 %
1 day and half = 20 %

Not to mention on 900 Mhz and some heavy flash website N900 becomes warm.

I have to agree with you.

Last edited by bigdarkmad; 2010-08-30 at 21:12.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The main problem with overclocking anything is heat.

Overclocking a conventional PC is fine. You can use additional equipment to remove the heat and usually everything is ok.

The ARM CPU will probably be fine at higher clocker speeds (e.g. upto 1ghz). However the surrounding circuit may not be able to handle the additional heat. What is more probable are the circuit tracks may start to lift and components may start to dislodge over a period of time.

(Not to mention how things like condensation, contraction and expansion of metal components affects things too)

I'm probably being paranoid but I have seen this kind of thing before.

Just be aware when overclocking your n900 you keep an eye on how hot it gets and don't run it at it's maximum speed for too long.

Although you may be able to overclock to a high clock speed don't be tempted to run the n900 at that speed. Use a more conservative value .