I had the worst luck and a cigarette cherry came in contact with the screen. It was brief, but the heat still warped the screen a bit. Kinda like a permanent indention.

It doesn't seem to affect the screen at all, but pretty annoying. There is also a few scratches, so thinking about swapping it out.

http://www.mobile-phone-lcd.com/digi...dau-p-402.html

I found that. So wanted to see if anyone has replaced this part yet? Price looks decent, and looks fairly easy to replace. Nothing is glued or stuck on with adhesive, which is good.

My main concern is if that part is from nokia themselves? Probably not.

Is it possible to order this part directly from nokia themselves? They are also all over ebay as well. Some say "genuine nokia".

If anyone has replaced it yet, would love to hear where you bought it from, and how it's working now.

Thanks.

Last edited by breakd0wn; 2010-05-25 at 03:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to breakd0wn For This Useful Post:
I emailed that company and they said its OEM.

I'm gonna go ahead and order it then.

Looking through the repair manual, I see the part about the earpiece adhesive. Anyone know exactly what that stuff is?

Thanks.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Saint Louis, MO, USA
Thanks for taking the plunge. If your experience goes well I may order one as well. I have some scratches. They are just minor enough that I can live with them, but they are just big enough to make me not want to. I've been on the fence about ordering that piece for myself. Good luck; I hope it works out.

I ended up swapping it last night.

Kind of a hard swap. The biggest issue I had was with the framing. It's actually 2 parts that sandwich the touchscreen. Just was pain to separate them.

Also getting the lcd flex, and main flex connectors back together was pretty hard. Hard to line them up since you have very little room, and had no idea how much pressure to use.

But got it back together and it all works.

Also, the screws are ph00 not ph0. That may be why people were having issues removing them, but they all came out very easily for me.

Good luck.

Another thing is my slider is much more solid now it seems.

When I got the n900, I was using the n86, which has a silky smooth slider. One of the first things I noticed was how stiff the slider was on the n900. Over time it became looser. Also had some play from top to bottom.

For example before if I had the slider open and was typing, and then had to touch the screen to hit send, reply, etc you would sometimes here a small click, and there was some slight give to it. Now it's very solid. Even a tad more resistance when opening and closing.

Pretty much feels brand new again.

So if anyone has slider issues, maybe just taking it apart, and then putting it back together would improve the situation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to breakd0wn For This Useful Post:
Get a set (or more) of these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29544

Makes the job 10 times easier, and lowers the risk of breaking anything.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by breakd0wn View Post
I ended up swapping it last night.

Kind of a hard swap. The biggest issue I had was with the framing. It's actually 2 parts that sandwich the touchscreen. Just was pain to separate them.

Also getting the lcd flex, and main flex connectors back together was pretty hard. Hard to line them up since you have very little room, and had no idea how much pressure to use.

But got it back together and it all works.

Also, the screws are ph00 not ph0. That may be why people were having issues removing them, but they all came out very easily for me.

Good luck.
Hey there, I need to replace my touch screen and and am really nervous... I have NO knowledge of these things and am scared that once I get the phone apart that I will be stuck.... I think what I am most nervous about is these ribbons that I see on the tehkseven disassembly video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8

Are the soldered or snap on/in?
ANY and ALL information you could share would be extremely helpful as I have no idea about these things. Thanks in advance

I would ignore the tekseven video. They didn't do it according to the manual, and they also didn't fully disassemble it. The lcd and touchscreen connect to the main flex and have to be removed, is what they didn't do. They left it all still connected. And the 2nd part of the framing has to removed also.

Just download the manual and take a look at it. Definitely pick up the ss-93. I ordered it with my screen and they sent me 2 different sizes, which both came in handy. I also ordered a few sets of spare screws. Read a few stories of people breaking the screws, so thought I would play it safe.

Set up a clean work area, get some compressed air, the proper screwdrivers and tools, and follow the manual step by step very slowly.

And like I said, the hardest part of disassembly was the framing. And the hardest part of assembly was the flex connectors. There is no soldering. The LCD disconnects just by popping it out, and the touchscreen comes out by releasing a lock and then sliding the cable out.

As lng as you take your time and be gentle you will be fine. Good luck.

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by breakd0wn View Post
I would ignore the tekseven video. They didn't do it according to the manual, and they also didn't fully disassemble it. The lcd and touchscreen connect to the main flex and have to be removed, is what they didn't do. They left it all still connected. And the 2nd part of the framing has to removed also.

Just download the manual and take a look at it. Definitely pick up the ss-93. I ordered it with my screen and they sent me 2 different sizes, which both came in handy. I also ordered a few sets of spare screws. Read a few stories of people breaking the screws, so thought I would play it safe.

Set up a clean work area, get some compressed air, the proper screwdrivers and tools, and follow the manual step by step very slowly.

And like I said, the hardest part of disassembly was the framing. And the hardest part of assembly was the flex connectors. There is no soldering. The LCD disconnects just by popping it out, and the touchscreen comes out by releasing a lock and then sliding the cable out.

As lng as you take your time and be gentle you will be fine. Good luck.
Hey Breakdown, thanks for the great response... do you know of any other videos perhaps? Also where have you heard stories about skrews getting broken, I only found that tehkseven video when searching for "n900 disassembly", and nothing else besides this thread? Could you possibly point me in the right direction for the manual that shows a step by step on this? The only thing I could find was a site that seemed to have a schematic breakdown but that was it... actually raised more questions for me than answers? Thanks again for your help!

As far as the screws, it was actually tekseven that broke 2 screws off in his n900. Also someone here sent their n900 off for repair and it came back with broken screws.

And the videos, I don't. Another guy on youtube took it apart to reach the video light and video taped it.

The n900 service manual is in the wiki.

What's the reason you need to replace your screen? If it's broken you are better off sending it to nokia I think. Unless you scratched it and just want a new, your only choice is to do it yourself or live with it.