Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
I noticed yesterday that the Application Manager complained of memory being full. that was followed by a lot of 'Operation Failed' messages.

'df' showed that the root partition was at 100%. So I quickly removed a bunch of applications and was able to bring it down 88%.

This is worrisome because I have been using this for only 2 weeks and now have only a small number of apps installed. I am afraid this will hit 100% very quickly again. Is it due to apps not optimized to install correctly in /opt? many apps it seems have files both in / and /opt. How will it possible to manage the small amount space in '/'?
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
I have to confirm this, I also had the same exact problem yesterday. I have about 20 apps installed, paying close attention that they are optified. I had a "memory full, can't send/receive messeges, free up some space" messege popping up in the form a nagging hildon banner, which was entirely unhelpful for 99% of the users, because the Memory applet does not show the root 256MB partition, I have plenty of space left on the other ones. Now, we all know that a full root partition in Linux is a very ugly situation, you can't even remove apps, because there is no space for the lock file, so apt-get is unusable. So, App Manager fails to do anything (without informing the user what the problem might be, it's just empty) and you're back at the terminal, removing files by hand (if you had rootsh installed, otherwise you're screwed). Knowing how Debian packaging works (you have absolutely no way of knowing how much space will a package take up after installation in /opt and how much in /, just the sum of both) , I have no idea how to resolve this situation other than making the root partition much larger.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tomaszd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
I have a feeling that this is going to be one hell of a problem, unless this is the main cause for the current delay and they are seriously thinking further solutions. The optification of packages seems not to be enough?

Last edited by hqh; 2009-10-23 at 09:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hqh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Turin, Italy
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
I have a feeling that this is going to be one hell of a problem, unless this is the main cause for the current delay and they are seriously thinking further solutions. The optification of packages seems not to be enough?
Is it possible to resize the partitions?

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HoX View Post
Is it possible to resize the partitions?
The rootfs resides on different physical memory, so it is limited by hardware. Wonder how much slower would it be to have the rootfs on the 32GB storage device... I haven't seen any actual comparison. Is hdparm available on the device? Can it be used to make a (reliable) speed comparison of the different flash memories?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This happens most probably because you are installing applications from extras-devel that haven't gone through the process of using the internal memory card to install files.

If you stick to Nokia and Extras repositories then you will get software that has gone through a QA check testing (among other things) that the files installed take as little as possible from the root partition.

I believe we need a explanatory wiki page somewhere to point users in the same situation because the questions is coming quite often. Please don't install software from extras-devel unless you know what you are doing.

See the technical explanation at http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...opt_and_MyDocs

PS: can you please share the thicker apps you had installed to see where we should put our attention first? Feel free filing bugs asking them to use /opt and MyDocs as much as possible as explained in the link above.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-10-23 at 09:30.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hqh View Post
I have absolutely no insider knowledge, but I think that it would be one of the top bugs to fix before launch. If the average user could through normal use easily get their device into a state where it was unusable as described, and the only solution is to flash it (again, this is the average user, not the one who downloads rootsh first), Nokia would catch a lot of flack.

The Following User Says Thank You to bocaJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
I have about 20 apps installed, paying close attention that they are optified.
How are you checking they are optified? What are the apps?

I had a "memory full, can't send/receive messeges, free up some space" messege popping up in the form a nagging hildon banner
What are you doing with your device (not meant sarcastically)? Lots of email? Lots of application catalogues? Have you used apt-get directly (in which case /var/cache/apt could be a problem)?

Last edited by Jaffa; 2009-10-23 at 09:35. Reason: Fix BBcode

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by bocaJ View Post
I have absolutely no insider knowledge, but I think that it would be one of the top bugs to fix before launch.
The trouble is that without fundamentally redesigning the OS structure (e.g. swap on 256MB flash and rootfs on eMMC) - which has both time, performance, tooling and QA implications - the only solution is to make sure stuff installs into /opt.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
For "optized" packages :

Try this :

mv /opt /home/user/soft
ln -s /home/user/soft /opt

You should have now 2GB for /opt

Else try this :

mv /opt /home/user/MyDocs/soft
ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/soft /opt

You should have now 27GB for /opt