What "extra" language programs can possibly be removed from an N800? It would save some (maybe 5-15 MB?) of space on the device. I'm only bi-lingual, and realistically don't ever use more than one on the computer, so it would be nice to free up the space.

For instance, looking at my installed apps, I see ezitext-finnish, ezitext-french, hildon-common-strings-i10n-xxxx, hildon-control-panel-i10n-xxxx, and various other hildon library locale items, k-recv-i10n-xxxx, osso i10n libs, and others. All of them say "unable to uninstall" on the uninstall tab of application manager because they are required for their respective base packages.

I assume it would be possible to force the uninstall with dpkg, but has anyone done so, and if so, what broke?

I just removed the foreign user manuals by moving them to trash to save space. Surely it will not effect any other functions?

If you're that pressed for space, take a look inside the /usr/share/locale directory. That directory contains modules for each locale that each program supports. If you only care about a single locale, you can delete the directories for the other locales. For example, my locale directory has 13 MB of data total, of which only 0.5 MB are for the en_GB locale. You can easily save several MB of space.

Be careful, though, because some programs only include language files for one or a few locales. Deleting all the language files for a certain program will lead to a very incomprehensible application.

By the way, I've never actually tried this on my N800, since I have plenty of space, so I can't be held responsible if you bork your system. Why don't you just do the ext2 extending-root-onto-a-memory-card trick?

I'm not especially pressed for space, just curious. Have 50MB or so internally, plus 6GB of cards, and everything I can think of any possible use for installed!

If you need space, you can boot from a SD/MMC card.
Actually I've a 4GB (Non-SDHC!?) card and 2 partitions :
- p1 with 2GB of FAT (for transfering files with my PC/taking pictures-videos with my camera)
- p2 with 2GB of Ext2 for the n800 system/applications ! (maybe too big )

Last edited by murphy; 2007-06-22 at 13:42.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Elmont, NY
Has anyone successfully strip the extra language without bricking the unit?