Hello Community.

After almost 2 years of owning and using the Jolla Phone it got swirled away in a mini Tsunami yesterday

So I'm looking for a new Smartphone, but I'm unsure what to do.I got the following thoughts in my head:

- the Jolla was nice, but the Hardware is nowadays outdated
- the Display is my main concern, it was almost unreadable outside
- I do not need a lot of apps, was quite satisfied with the ones available
- I love the User Interface of the Jolla/Sailfish
- I do not really want a iOS or Android device, and I do not need Stores with 1Mio Apps of which are 99% shitty
---
So what to do? I do not really want to spend 250€ on a completely outdated Smartphone. Any suggestions on alternatives, maybe actual hardware (within last year) running Sailfish. Or a completely different system (Mozilla, Ubuntu, ...)?

Thanks for a fruitful discussion.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 49 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Moscow
I have the same issue. I look in the direction of Nexus 5.., It has successfully ported Sailfish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Victorious For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I had more or less the same problem. And I couldn't find any alternatives, I went back to Jolla...

Perhaps BB10 is a choice for you. (Z30) or if you prefer something big, Passport is also a good choice, plus a really nice HW keyboard.

I know Android is not your choice, (it's not mine either), but there are some really nice HW like Sony Z5, you can do a little tweak given the device can be rooted, to remove the navigation bar and make it gesture based swipe like Jolla. Plus you can always unlock BL and flash CM or even Salifish if there is a build.

Tough choice. But I guess there won't be a true successor to Jolla, with a at least mid ranged hardware, any time soon. Hope I was wrong.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-09-20 at 21:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I'll get another Jolla... my screen is cracked and it will only last so long, I could use 2 devices to test stuff and whatnot.
The hardware seems outdated but SFOS runs faster than most things out there anyway so I won't bother with the hw for as long as the OS is a deal breaker.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I'll get another Jolla... my screen is cracked and it will only last so long, I could use 2 devices to test stuff and whatnot.
The hardware seems outdated but SFOS runs faster than most things out there anyway so I won't bother with the hw for as long as the OS is a deal breaker.
I tend to agree 80% of your opinion. Yes interms if CPU, ram or even resolution (540p is enough for most use) is not that important give user experience is great, but some hardware flaws cannot be aided by software, such as poor outdoor readability, inaccuracy in colors etc. These are the majors problems with Jolla now. Furthermore like weak camera, weak speaker ect also won't improve much with SW.

A hardware similar to Xperia Z1/3 compact would be perfect in my opnion...

i think u had better to buy nexus5. if you dont need android apps (otherwise u have to install multirom with android and sailfish,and then switch,but quite uncomfortble)

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I tend to agree 80% of your opinion. Yes interms if CPU, ram or even resolution (540p is enough for most use) is not that important give user experience is great, but some hardware flaws cannot be aided by software, such as poor outdoor readability, inaccuracy in colors etc. These are the majors problems with Jolla now. Furthermore like weak camera, weak speaker ect also won't improve much with SW.

A hardware similar to Xperia Z1/3 compact would be perfect in my opnion...
True but not a deal breaker for me. My Jolla has a keyboard too, I can't find that on most phones out there

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I'd just get an used Jolla for relatively cheap price, and wait until next Sailfish powered device appears.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
might be slightly off topic, but

what do you need faster hardware for?

I'd actually think to downgrade in terms of hardware. I still like my n97 just because it's got that fantastic sliding kbd and it's by far smaller in my pocket than jolla with tohkbd.

As a matter of fact, I just got my wife a nokia e7 and I'm quite temped to get one myself. I don't care too much about faster hardware. That thing just works fine for me and the kbd ist awesome. Bummer it doesn't run sfos.

btw. I still cry after my old sony clie! I bet sony got paid to discontinue palmOS by MS.

Last edited by alfredquack; 2015-09-19 at 23:02.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfredquack View Post
might be slightly off topic, but

what do you need faster hardware for?

I'd actually think to downgrade in terms of hardware. I still like my n97 just because it's got that fantastic sliding kbd and it's by far smaller in my pocket than jolla with tohkbd.

As a matter of fact, I just got my wife a nokia e7 and I'm quite temped to get one myself. I don't care too much about faster hardware. That thing just works fine for me and the kbd ist awesome. Bummer it doesn't run sfos.

btw. I still cry after my old sony clie! I bet sony got paid to discontinue palmOS by MS.
That's one of the reasons most people here still use the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone