Posts: 128 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Hungary
will Jolla extend Jolla C or that's all? another Jolla C wave would be good. any information about that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViBE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Apart that most SW used by users on Jolla are android apps
So where did you find that info?
Personally I haven't had Alien Dalvik installed since early 2014, when I was first investigating and testing the system. I also know for fact, that I'm far from the only one, using Sailfish raw, so to say.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Apart that most SW used by users on Jolla are android apps, jolla itself has android parts and blobs and uses libhybris — https://together.jolla.com/question/...ndroid-kernel/
I think what nthn meant was that currently Jolla needs libhybris to interface the hardware because the hardware did only come with Android drivers. But this is not necessarily the universal law: someone may produce a device using hardware with native drivers available, and in such a case libhybris will not be necessary.

Originally Posted by eson View Post
Personally I haven't had Alien Dalvik installed since early 2014, when I was first investigating and testing the system. I also know for fact, that I'm far from the only one, using Sailfish raw, so to say.
Me too! Minus the investigation. I have never allowed AD touch my Jolla.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm all about Alien Dalvik and the apps that I don't have on Sailfish.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I think what nthn meant was that currently Jolla needs libhybris to interface the hardware because the hardware did only come with Android drivers. But this is not necessarily the universal law: someone may produce a device using hardware with native drivers available, and in such a case libhybris will not be necessary.

Me too! Minus the investigation. I have never allowed AD touch my Jolla.
A lot of maybe, when they'll release 1 phone without - you can talk to me, meanwhile there are 4 devices and all run libhybrid.
And yes there few people who do not use android SW, but even on Jolla videos sailors themselves use Android apps.
You can give app most apps and services and use desktop's browser for a lot of tasks that have already android apps with comfortable UI
But that would leave you with 5 apps and a lot of terminal tools , same tools you can have on android.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
See the reply above
And I liked it that you told me that I'm wrong regarding libhybris, but as I proved I'm not — you switched to SW argument without mentioning libhybrid part of your statement.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
See the reply above
And I liked it that you told me that I'm wrong regarding libhybris, but as I proved I'm not — you switched to SW argument without mentioning libhybrid part of your statement.
I didn't say one word about you being wrong regarding libhybris. I just questioned your assertion that "most SW used by users on Jolla are android apps".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I didn't say one word about you being wrong regarding libhybris. I just questioned your assertion that "most SW used by users on Jolla are android apps".
Yes, I have an issue with that statement too. It claims not that most Sailfish users use Android apps, which is something I would not dispute in a hurry, but that Android apps make the majority of what they use. I see no evidence supporting that claim.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, I have an issue with that statement too. It claims not that most Sailfish users use Android apps, which is something I would not dispute in a hurry, but that Android apps make the majority of what they use. I see no evidence supporting that claim.
There are few users, who mentioned that they do not use Dalvik. And their voice is loud.
But there are a lot of topics and questions on both maemo and TJC about android apps.
Whatsapp and AFAIK facebook are available only as android app.
And as i have no Jolla on me and web page of harbour does not have feature to show apps - I can't tell you how many downloads android apps and dalvik itself have, but as I went to aptoide - the Jolla one (and it's not only the place android apps are downloaded) and there are 900k downloads. I think this number will tell by itself, or you think 10 people just redownloaded the same app?
Do not forget that there are more than dozen phones out there
In most reviews and post people describe how to use android apps.
Jolla itself promote android apps.
Basically we both do not know the answer - but common sense would tell that while dozen people can use Jolla phone as ssh terminal and compile things, majority - doesn't do it. Majority uses end-user apps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
what do people think about the camera on the jolla C?

one of the things that keeps me using my Huwei P8 with its skinned android 5 rather than my nexus5 running the much better cyanogen 13.1 is the camera. the huwei camera is simply leagues better.

i'd love to get jolla C, but not if the camera is worse than the nexus5...

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os