Notices

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The Nokia message is still that Qt and Qt Quick are the transitional technologies from Maemo onto MeeGo. As I understand it, that is not the issue here - but rather the (monetization-wise) small userbase which is unlikely to get much bigger until the release of MeeGo devices.
That's pretty much the message we received.

Wait...I thought this project is for fun? Like for example, you guys didn't even want to accept money before. How did it become serious? So what if Nokia doesn't support Maemo going forward....our journey continue on........lol.

Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
Wait...I thought this project is for fun? Like for example, you guys didn't even want to accept money before. How did it become serious? So what if Nokia doesn't support Maemo going forward....our journey continue on........lol.
We didn't want to charge people for a version we felt was still a beta. Once you take people's money there's an implicit promise that the app will work 100% as advertised -- and with your help we almost got to that point. We learned a lot from this forum about how to make better apps. You guys have been amazing.

Unfortunately, though, we still have to put this app on hold. When we started work on Maemo we didn't know that the platform would be discontinued and that it'd be a while before MeeGo would ship to replace it. That pause between Maemo and MeeGo means that the user base won't grow and that we'll have no short term opportunity to monetize this app. That's a deal breaker for us. Not only are there dev costs but there are server costs too, if you use the song identification feature, or the artwork fetcher for example. When MeeGo ships and if it takes off, we'll pick up right where we left off but until then we're going to focus our attention on other platforms that we can ship to a large, paying audience immediately.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
the nokia gapless playback gods hate me.

(thx for being forthcoming peter).

The Following User Says Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Pakistan
does that mean theres going to be meego on n900???(sarcastic)

سلمان عباس :
طبعا

Peter : You made my day bad
i was waiting for instictiv so badly
:'(

The Following User Says Thank You to bobcorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I am not sure to understand the logic here.

Nokia has (should have!) probably emphasize the possibility for you in a not-so-long future that the work on Maemo could be used for Harmattan and then pure Meego (the Qt story). I am not a developper but seems that the additional work is limited. And Harmattan is not announced but is due for (unfortunately this is not clear yet) the first quarter of 2011.

So now you have almost finished a product for Maemo. You can start selling it (ok with a limited market) but still can have some money from us and continue receiving bugs and comments from the 'great' community.
But instead you prefer to hold on?

Just for the fun and clearly not having all information you have, this is my logic
1/ You start to sell the application for N900 users (it seems to be almost ready). You get some money from the work you have already done!
1bis/ In the same time, you look at being compliant with Harmattan/Meego.

2/ When Harmattan (the Nokia product which should have mass market) is released, you have something ready and you enter directly the market with success guaranteed because you are first and because you had time to fix the possible bugs

2bis/ you could look at symbian: again seems to me that the work is not huge and you increase (at least) visibility of your brand with the 3.5 millions per day downloads of Ovi

Sorry for a useless post. But the fact that you are stopping Maemo is a drama for people following the thread/the development for some time now...
(sorry for the poor english)

Edit: just thinking that the reason is maybe that Harmattan is delayed till second semester of 2011 ??!!

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
I am not sure to understand the logic here.

Nokia has (should have!) probably emphasize the possibility for you in a not-so-long future that the work on Maemo could be used for Harmattan and then pure Meego (the Qt story). I am not a developper but seems that the additional work is limited. And Harmattan is not announced but is due for (unfortunately this is not clear yet) the first quarter of 2011.

So now you have almost finished a product for Maemo. You can start selling it (ok with a limited market) but still can have some money from us and continue receiving bugs and comments from the 'great' community.
But instead you prefer to hold on?

Just for the fun and clearly not having all information you have, this is my logic
1/ You start to sell the application for N900 users (it seems to be almost ready). You get some money from the work you have already done!
1bis/ In the same time, you look at being compliant with Harmattan/Meego.

2/ When Harmattan (the Nokia product which should have mass market) is released, you have something ready and you enter directly the market with success guaranteed because you are first and because you had time to fix the possible bugs

2bis/ you could look at symbian: again seems to me that the work is not huge and you increase (at least) visibility of your brand with the 3.5 millions per day downloads of Ovi

Sorry for a useless post. But the fact that you are stopping Maemo is a drama for people following the thread/the development for some time now...
(sorry for the poor english)

Edit: just thinking that the reason is maybe that Harmattan is delayed till second semester of 2011 ??!!

Thanks for your post. There are two simple factors for us:

1) Given the user base and marketplace as it stands we probably stand to make somewhere on the order of $6000 -- for that amount it's not even worth the time to install a payment mechanism.

2) Contrary to our hopes and initial assumptions, Maemo's morph into MeeGo is going to take an unknown amount of time -- we haven't heard that it will ship in Q1. When it ships it will meet an unknown amount of market success.

When we started developing for Maemo, we didn't know it'd stall out for such a prolonged period of time. As a small company, with very limited resources, we can't afford to continue dev'ing on Maemo in hopes that someday our efforts will pay off when on other platforms we could be shipping to large paying audiences immediately. When MeeGo launches and if it succeeds in countries where there's a strong culture of paying for apps (such as North America, Western Europe and Japan), then we'll return to MeeGo with a fairly complete code base.

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
By saying December 13th is release date of the final version or the "big update", I take it that you've already invested much into it, and it's almost ready, bug tested, and maybe a little work left to do here and there. Did i get this right? If so, why not released the .deb here as you're not selling it anyway.

Will you just hold it until MeeGo is finally released? Sorry if i got the whole thing wrong (I feel i did )

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
By saying December 13th is release date of the final version or the "big update", I take it that you've already invested much into it, and it's almost ready, bug tested, and maybe a little work left to do here and there. Did i get this right? If so, why not released the .deb here as you're not selling it anyway.

Will you just hold it until MeeGo is finally released? Sorry if i got the whole thing wrong (I feel i did )
We haven't made a final decision about how to wrap this up. We definitely won't be shipping the new UI. We may still update the back end and add one new feature and a ton of bug fixes. We're under the gun with several paying obligations and our revised understanding of MeeGo's release schedule has put a complete freeze on all Maemo development until we make a final determination. In sharing the new with you we also wanted to get a pulse on the community and have that factor into our thinking. We're at a point though, where we feel like any further development would be throwing good money after bad.

The Following User Says Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post: