Active Topics

Ok, dumb question I know, but I'm not sure how to hotsync the n800 with the desktop. It asks for hostname or IP address. My IP changes. What is hostname?

thanks,

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Marlow, Bucks
Make sure you have got Hotsync running on your desktop machine with the option to sync over network ticked (right click the hotsync tray icon and make sure there is a tick next to network)

The IP address you need to enter is the local IP address of your desktop machine - probably 192.168.1.something. You can find out what it is if you don't know by clicking Start - Run and enter cmd
then type ipconfig and checking the IP address shown for Ethernet Adapter local area

Don't try putting in your host name - it is unreliable.

As long as you are connected to the same LAN as your N800 this should work. Works for me....

The Following User Says Thank You to mfresh For This Useful Post:
Ok, got it. Thank you!

This is where I hit a roadblock. I've entered the IP addresses for 3 different computers that have a Palm desktop but I keep getting the same error message: Unknown Host. Disabling the firewall on the computer doesn't fix the problem.HELP!!

Kan you 'ping' that desktop IP address from the N800? (You'll have to start osso-xterm and, with the standard N800 ping, do 'sudo gainroot' first. So you'll need 'becomeroot' installed as well.)

I appreciate the quick response, but unfortunately, it sounds like a recipe for Italian food. :-) Seriously, I'm assuming its Linux-speak because I'm fairly proficient at Windows, but this is my first Linux based device. If you could back up a bit and walk me thru the steps, I think I could answer your question. Thanks.

Ok.
Assuming you have the IP address of your desktop at hand (which you can get from e.g. 'ipconfig' as mfresh described:
  • You need to have osso-xterm installed on your N800
  • You need to have becomeroot installed on your N800
  • If you don't know where they are to be found, start at http://www.gronmayer.com/it/
  • Open an xterm window on your N800
  • Enter 'sudo gainroot' (without the quotes) at the xterm command line prompt
  • Enter 'ping xxx.yyy.zzz.www' (without the quotes and the xxx.yyy.zzz.www replaced with your desktop IP number, dots and all)
If it works, you'll see something like
Code:
$ ping 192.168.1.3
PING 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=7.97 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.279 ms
Hit Ctrl in osso-xterm and then 'c' at the keyboard (ctrl-C, to abort the program).
If it doesn't work it'll either just hang there or tell you 'no route to host' or some such.

In the former case it should also work with hotsync, in the latter case your N800 and your desktop computer are not visible to each other through your network, or it's the incorrect IP address or something else.

When you're done in xterm, enter 'exit' twice (first to leave the root login, then to exit the xterm)

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Hotsync works for me, once I a) marked it as a Network connection, b) told my firewall to stop blocking the Hotsync Manager.

But I get an error message at the end, saying that the connection failed. I think it might have to do with the fact that you are supposed to specify how you are connecting via network, and Wireless isn't an option. USB and ultraviolence or whatever they are called waves are options. Whatever I pick seems to give an error message.

A program called Splashnews seems to work nicely; it does syncing without a real Hotsync, just going out and grabbing news stories from the net. This gives me my wish of having news automatically on my N800 even if I'm not in wireless range, BUT the stories have a line after a paragraph or so inviting you to click and Read More, but it doesn't seem to work. So you can get the top of the news, but for me I couldn't get complete news stories.

Well I removed Norton Security from my computer and I get a successful HotSync message now. Unfortunately, my contacts and date book info are not showing up on the Nokia. Any suggestions?

deleted, on second thought

Last edited by davep; 2008-02-05 at 18:31.

Tags
garnet, palm