Notices

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
New Look, same layout, just added some simple layer styles

Last edited by joshua.maverick; 2009-10-29 at 02:48.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
What's the A for?
"A" was used as an "up" pointer... Since this is a simple, single HTML page you are kind of limited by what elements you can use and keyboard characters come in handy. If it was a site, or better yet a zipped web archive like Nokia's WRT's, it would be easy to use images linked to the page.

You can still do it on your own machine, I have locally stored HTML that is linked to other HTML in directories that go far and wide on my N810.

I use it, among other things, to pull up any of 90 plus traffic web cams in pages formatted for the device that also have links to cameras back and forth, in sequential order. Links that jump to other directoriesare also there. Instead of keyboard characters. I use transparent image maps so all I have to do is touch the camera image up, down, left, or right to navigate to other cameras or directories.

However stuff like that, or even a single directory web archive are hard to package and provide support for. All a user has to do is misplace a single directory and they could end up with a bunch of broken links and a poor attitude toward the developer.

Some simple examples I posted a while ago that went over like a lead balloon can be found >> HERE <<

I still think locally stored HTML and Flash is a strong point of these devices.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-10-29 at 02:53. Reason: Broken link

Adding just:
- a 'pin' to indicate the current location
- traffic layer
- routing view (with routing instructions, hidden until a button is clicked)

would make this a "must have" application for me.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
I do really like this "webapp". Thanks now I have at least a good map in the device if I need it. Would it be possible to do the same with openstreetmap.org maps? And is there a possibility to give location data directly from the devices browser to the requested map?

Me on twitter

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
Would it be possible to do the same with openstreetmap.org maps?
Perhaps, but would need a complete rewrite as their API is completely different.

Originally Posted by jukey View Post
And is there a possibility to give location data directly from the devices browser to the requested map?
I've asked this on the developer mailing list, no answers yet. There is also a project called Telard CCI on garage. Perhaps it could get adapted and extended to the N900. Of course, I'd prefer an integrated solution, no add-on.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Originally Posted by elimoon8 View Post
Adding just:
- a 'pin' to indicate the current location
- traffic layer
- routing view (with routing instructions, hidden until a button is clicked)
The "current" location is in the middle of the map I don't have access to the GPS information of the device, so you must know your own location for now.
Traffic and Routing are not yet supported in the Google Maps API V3. Perhaps I do a backport to V2 one day, but enough for me right now.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
New Look, same layout, just added some simple layer styles
In pure CSS or how are these buttons made? Right now the page is self-contained and does not use any external ressources, that's why the design is bare.
Once people are +/- ok with the usability, I'll cleanup the GUI, add some image buttons for navigation and then pack the thing in a package.

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Great! Feature requests:
  • Routing ("A to B" should display a route like Google Maps)
  • Realtime input completion (street names, etc..)
  • Add "District" zoom level (and get rid of "world"?)
  • Current position through GPS (if exposed via APIs in the browser)
  • Use Unicode arrows for navigation (I was wondering what the "A" button does )
  • Copyable link to the current view that one can paste into SMS/IM/E-Mail
  • Routing not available in API V3
  • Not implemented as not needed by me (and perhaps a bit heavy on traffic/performance). Normally I just enter a roadname and a zip or cityname.
  • Will do (or add auto-zoom based on search result)
  • Waiting for information from MicroB insiders (anyone?)
  • Thanks for the info!
  • Will try - but to what shall I link? The original Google Maps I'd guess. But should depend on recipients preferred map viewer? Conceptually difficult to resolve IMHO.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
cool! this would be handy on my N900. using the cursor-mode is not very fast or friendly way to use maps.google.com

'World' may not be used widely. Perhaps a lower zoom level would be a more beneficial use of space.

I would love to see the search feature enhanced.
- directions don't seem to be supported. this could be searched as 'directions:new york city to albany, new york' ?
- Also, I could only search for valid-addresses or cities but not businesses e.g. holiday inn, london.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I like having World. I've already used it for general geography while reading the news!

Tags
google maps, microb, n900