Notices

It worked for me though. Changed all bash->sh and could uninstall it.
Haven't tried to reinstall it though. I will wait for a proper version.

Finally worked for me too. Must have missed something on the first couple of tries.

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
So how to install this game? After reading two pages of mystery can anyone make conclusion?

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
This worked for me (might need adjusting?)

1. Install bash
1.1. sudo gainroot
1.2. apt-get install bash
2. install freeciv
2.1. Open normal appinstaller and select freeciv from there.
3. Have fun

In case you installed freeciv before you had bash, you need to change bash to sh in those dpkg files previously mentioned. It is not hard job with nano (sudo gainroot, apt-get install nano). N900 keyboard and screen are bit small for this, but you can always SSH to your N900 and do it with putty on your computer. IP number of your N900 can be easily seen with ip number widget or by commandline tools from prompt.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio, Finland
Originally Posted by markusm View Post
Did that - didn't work. It listed seven files and I made the bash->sh change in every one of them. Still won't install or even apply the update.

Any other ideas?
Did you uninstall previous Freeciv before trying reinstall? With apt-get upgrade or something similar command ?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by trotor View Post
Did you uninstall previous Freeciv before trying reinstall? With apt-get upgrade or something similar command ?
see comment #102 in this thread - he already solved it.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
A new version of Freeciv should be showing up in Extras-Testing soon. I've updated it upstream's 2.1.10, and last night made fullscreen default and added a task switch button to the upper left. (It should work even after 5601 is resolved.) If anyone has the free time to test it, that would be really cool.

I also made the default mouse invisible... does anyone prefer it the other way around or have any other suggestions?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Does it still require the installing of bash or is it ok to install 'normally'?

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
It should be okay to install normally.

*That* problem is fixed, and I have no issues with it on my N900 yet, but it's still untested at large.

The Following User Says Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Hey

This is my first post on Maemo.org. I made the mistake of installing this app a little early and like many of you i am unable to install the broken app. Since then I have only being installing apps from the testing rep. Anyway... My efforts to uninstall this app have been unsuccessful. I have enabled root access and tried to install bash via the terminal ( apt-get install bash ), but this failed, a number of possible reasons listed. The working method seems to be to change bash to sh, however i dont understand what this means nor how to do it. I'm not an experienced linux user but i'm fine with copying commands into the terminal. I dont want to do anything where there is a risk of further damage. Please could somone spare some time to provide a step by step guide to uninstall this broken app using the bash->sh method. Many thanks & Cheers...

Tags
freeciv sdl, games, new port