Nokia Beta Labs has just released an update to the Internet Tablet Video Converter. According to Victor Brilon (vbrilon), Nokia Sr. Project Manager:The new version now provides support for Windows Vista as well as XP. In addition, we've made some serious upgrades to the codecs used so the video quality should be significantly enhanced. Many of the bugs reported have been fixed by this release...The utility is currently Windows only but a Mac version of the converter is rumored to be coming. 3rd party developers interested on extending the utility can make use of the API which is publicly available at Maemo.org. Links: Internet Tablet Video Converter - Nokia Beta LabsĀ*
Read the full article.

I tried the prior release. I found the interface and workflow to be somewhat idiosyncratic, not really following standards and conventions used by many other similar applications. I don't know why the UI designers felt the need to reinvent the wheel here.

Drag and drop of multiple files seemed to make it hang. It apparently couldn't begin converting the first file until it got done taking a peek inside all the other files (to gather info and generate thumbnails?). This is crazy. It should have started processing the first file immediately instead of hanging up while trying to access all the other files simultaneously. At the very least, it should have timed out or errored out on any individual files that were problematic.

I'd really like just some straight-forward simplicity. I want to select a file, or list of files. I want to set a destination folder. I want to click GO, and then see a progress indicator of the conversion of each of the selected files. I do not want thumbnail images. I don't want it to remember my past conversions or provide any sort of "library" or file management.

Somebody please tell me that this beta release is improved. Otherwise, unfortunately, I'm sticking to other methods of transcoding video for my n800.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by 2e2f View Post
I tried the prior release. I found the interface and workflow to be somewhat idiosyncratic, not really following standards and conventions used by many other similar applications. I don't know why the UI designers felt the need to reinvent the wheel here.
Do you have specific examples of what you're describing here? I am thoroughly confused as to what you refer to here. It's hard to believe but there are indeed UI guidelines, and they were followed for this application. Please give specifics.

Drag and drop of multiple files seemed to make it hang. It apparently couldn't begin converting the first file until it got done taking a peek inside all the other files (to gather info and generate thumbnails?). This is crazy. It should have started processing the first file immediately instead of hanging up while trying to access all the other files simultaneously. At the very least, it should have timed out or errored out on any individual files that were problematic.
Have you filed a bug about this at https://bugs.maemo.org? This is a use case that's tested quite heavily and if you can make it break, please report it to us so we can fix it.

I'd really like just some straight-forward simplicity. I want to select a file, or list of files. I want to set a destination folder. I want to click GO, and then see a progress indicator of the conversion of each of the selected files. I do not want thumbnail images. I don't want it to remember my past conversions or provide any sort of "library" or file management.
That's pretty much what this app does. Drag, drop, convert with a progress indicator. I am not sure how much simpler it could be. But if you have an idea, please file it as an enhancement request in Bugzilla.

Somebody please tell me that this beta release is improved. Otherwise, unfortunately, I'm sticking to other methods of transcoding video for my n800.
As always, we strive to make the best software possible. If you find bugs or have concrete suggestions on how to improve, please let us know. After all, that's the whole point of releasing beta software.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Sorry for being vague. To be fair, I'll try out the new beta. I'll take notes as I go and provide more specific feedback. Thanks for being responsive. I do appreciate that this provided for free, and I don't mean to take the hard work for granted.

One thing that really bugged me was how the application maintained a list of converted files between sessions. It was unclear to me how to get rid of the history, and whether I'd be clearing just the history, or also perhaps be deleting my converted files. I'm really not looking for an app to help me manage my video files after I convert them. I'd like an option to tell the app NOT to maintain pointers to the files after the conversion is done.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by 2e2f View Post
One thing that really bugged me was how the application maintained a list of converted files between sessions. It was unclear to me how to get rid of the history, and whether I'd be clearing just the history, or also perhaps be deleting my converted files. I'm really not looking for an app to help me manage my video files after I convert them. I'd like an option to tell the app NOT to maintain pointers to the files after the conversion is done.
Fair enough of a criticism here. The design idea is that after a video is converted *and* it's copied to the device, it's removed from the queue. This way you can leave uncopied movies in the queue until you're ready to deal with them at a later time. Imagine a use case where you're converting movies, but you don't have your tablet handy to copy them over right away and hopefully that makes more sense.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always welcome.

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

A converted avi file looks good, but there's no sound. I tried kmplayer on the pc and media player on the N800 (OS08).

Last edited by Aciv; 2008-01-23 at 00:54.

if they believe in Linux, why publicize a MS Windoze Only application?

Waste of time, AFAICS

PJ

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
quote:

is currently Windows only

end_quote:

- no thanks... i think i'll pass on this one...

I installed it. Files that were 150mb in the old version are now 117mb and they still look pretty good. It is a good app, but please make a linux version.

Originally Posted by pauljohn32 View Post
if they believe in Linux, why publicize a MS Windoze Only application?

Waste of time, AFAICS
I guess it's because majority of IT users are still windows users. Below are the current stats for this month with regards to itT visitors. I say we remain patient. It's a privilege that someone from Nokia is directly replying and watching this thread.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post: