Originally Posted by gsever View Post
16GB version is going for 199$ at http://store.shopblackberry.com/
Same version is still ~US$600 here in Australia.
The PlayBook is nice, but it isn't upto iOS and Honeycomb level... it has some pitfalls.

The WORST thing about the PlayBook is that such shortcomings could've been remedied early on, and if it had launched in such a fashion it could've been a hit.

I don't doubt people will be comparing it to a CyanogenMod9 Nook Tablet

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Nook tablet and Kindle Fire lack back/front cameras and GPS. Playbook seems like a good gift option providing its low price. (There was also 10$ discount on top of 199) If Nook comes less than 200$ I might get one as another gift

I have had an Archos 70 250gb (7 inch screen, Android) for a while but was seduced by the Playbook (64gb, $400). The hardware is amazing--gorgeous and very responsive screen. The Archos sometimes is very much not responsive. The Playbook feels very solid and premium. I would not describe the Archos that way. The Playbook paired with my N900 with speed and ease. But the Playbook has issues.

It is smaller over all in size than the Archos, yet less portable due to slightly more width--harder to hold one-handed and will not fit in back pockets like the Archos does.
The headphone jack is in awkward location--the top right corner facing up when in landscape orientation.
There's no way to edit saved bookmarks (the URL name, actual URL address or their organization. All you can do is delete.).
No way to edit URL in address bar if URL text is off screen.
Power button is too small. A minor quibble, but it is.
Crazy slow viewing of large photos. It once took 27 seconds to bring up a very large jpeg. It was a file intended for printing, so stoopid large. Repeat testing is around 12-15 seconds for same file.
It has no support for ogg or FLAC. At all.
Can't connect to the 'App World' when bluetooth tethering. Only via wifi.
No possibility of connecting a digital camera or USB stick/card reader.
Won't charge over USB (unless screen off or asleep?--unconfirmed but I read this).

The OS is super slick, gorgeous, fast and multitasks like a champ. The OS elegance and touch screen quality are the only tablets that rival an iPad IMHO. But the OS lacks many basic things right now. And I am an ogg user and am really disappointed in that regard. And it's awkward headphone placement and too wide body make it impractical for walk-around media use. So a very mixed bag. I don't care about the lack of email because I never set email up on my Android tablet either. My N900 does this for me well enough.
I like it. But it is not a winner in its current state.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Now rooted.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Now rooted.
If there is a PlayBook firesale (like the TouchPad), I'm definitely buying it. It's the only tablet I can say truthfully that competes with the iPad.

I've yet to see ICS on a tablet. I know, within a year PlayBook will get all those "apps" that people want because they're too lazy to visit the websites for them. And it will also get Dalvik support, bringing more Angry Birds action.

Tags
fugly, just shoot me