This post concerns the application "Home Screen Background Settings" (http://blog.linux4us.org/2012/02/14/...-meego-n9n950/ - not to be confused with "Home Screen Settings" available from the Store) and the Harmattan PR1.2 update. This application is seriously flawed and will cause your N9 not to work properly if you uninstall it after upgrading to Harmattan PR1.2 if the application was installed when running an earlier Harmattan release.

The application replaces the home screen CSS files with its own, which is a bad idea to begin with. In it's postinst script the application makes a backup copy of the original CSS files and overwrites them with its own. In the prerm script it overwrites the current CSS files with the backed up files without checking whether the CSS files are the ones it had installed.

If you install this application when running PR1.1 it will make a backup copy of the PR1.1 CSS files and replace the originals with its own. When you then upgrade to PR1.2, the standard PR1.2 CSS files will be installed. If you then uninstall this application, this application will overwrite the standard PR1.2 CSS files with the PR1.1 files it had backed up earlier, causing your system to run PR1.2 with the PR1.1 CSS files, which will not work and will lead to serious problems.

In short, you MUST uninstall this application BEFORE upgrading to PR1.2. If you didn't and have already upgraded to PR1.2 or have already uninstalled the application on PR1.2 and the home screen malfunctions, you can restore the original PR1.2 CSS files by installing and uninstalling the attached restore-home-css_1.2.0-1_armel.deb package - there's no need to keep the package installed. This will overwrite the current CSS files with the official PR1.2 ones. Do not install this on any other Harmattan release or if you don't need to. (Alternatively you can gain root access and do "apt-get install --reinstall meegotouchhome-nokia libmeegotouchhome0".)
Attached Files
File Type: deb restore-home-css_1.2.0-1_armel.deb (7.4 KB, 677 views)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
It seems that application has been purged from Store .

I found out that I have that app so I've put the restore-home-ccs deb file in MyDocs , set the wifi on auto connect (to be sure I'm able to ssh) , then I uninstalled the bad app , I didn't notice any difference or problem so I rebooted , again I didn't notice anything . Now to be sure I installed this restore-home-ccs then I'll uninstall it .

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Banyuwangi, Indonesia
I have this app and i want to uninstall it. I already use PR1.2.
what did i have to do. Install the package first then uninstall or vice versa?
and where i can install the package, straight hit enter, or install it via dev mode
thx for the info

Originally Posted by efion View Post
I have this app and i want to uninstall it. I already use PR1.2.
what did i have to do. Install the package first then uninstall or vice versa?
First uninstall "Home Screen Background Settings", then install and uninstall restore-home-css_1.2.0-1_armel.deb.

and where i can install the package, straight hit enter, or install it via dev mode
restore-home-css_1.2.0-1_armel.deb should be installable through the package manager as long as "Allow installation from non-Store sources" is enabled. Then it should be a matter of copying it to the device and finding it through Search or a file manager application and tapping it.

Thank you well done

i'll try it
thx for the fast response mate!

Ok, it's ok now. Thanks.
but apparently your package is included calender icon,which i dont like,is there any way i can disable it?
sorry for asking too much

edited: looks like it's part of PR1.2 update, sorry

Last edited by efion; 2012-02-28 at 04:48.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Well done Vesuri, thanks for your help!

Ok, it's ok now. Thanks.
but apparently your package is included calender icon,which i dont like,is there any way i can disable it?
sorry for asking too much

edited: looks like it's part of PR1.2 update, sorry
Yes , uninstall it .