Poll: would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?
Poll Options
would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Just ordered an 8gb class 10, was going to get 16gb but didnt want to pay $20 more, lolol.

Hope it gets here by friday, dont want to wait until monday, with express postage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
It runs on chroot just fine , however some one has to do the work to get it to work like easy debian .

then mkdir mnt/bt5 and then mount /dev/mmcblk1pX /mnt/bt5
chroot /mnt/bt5

thats all .
how to edit the (img) file ?

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
We need Qole!
i sent him a msg

Originally Posted by karam View Post
well that is correct it will work but believe you don't wanna have all the internal memory

the best way is to backup your rootfs and optfs with backupmenu application
then hex the emmc.bin (vannial defaul) and reflash your n900 with the hexed emmc then restore you backup

cause restoring them together has made a f**ken problem to me
i had to reflash my n900 to a previos firmware then to the newst firrmware strange problem
is this safe ? after doing this i can use it normal with (kernel-power,overclock,nitdroid,...etc) right?

The Following User Says Thank You to fatcobrah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 302 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ England
Why would we want this :S I mean it's neat having another OS but isn't 'pentesting' a paid script kiddie (from the standards I saw when we had two in for government auditing)? And I doubt there's even one professional one on these entire forums.

We should push for a better hacking environment if that's what we want. An OS with gcc, nasm, an up to date perl, python, vim and scapy. Wouldn't that be more than enough?

The Following User Says Thank You to Captwheeto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post
Why would we want this :S I mean it's neat having another OS but isn't 'pentesting' a paid script kiddie (from the standards I saw when we had two in for government auditing)? And I doubt there's even one professional one on these entire forums.

We should push for a better hacking environment if that's what we want. An OS with gcc, nasm, an up to date perl, python, vim and scapy. Wouldn't that be more than enough?
Different definitions of a skiddie.
I see a skiddie as someone who uses things without any idea on how it works and just wants to use it for the end result.

On the other hand, theres others who know how it works and like to use it because its just easier than repetition. On the other hand, theres some who use it as a learning tool.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by Captwheeto View Post

You don't need to point that out. I see Backtrack as a tool for learning IT security. You don't need to be a CISSP pro to enjoy using it. You don't even need to use it in a real target.
I'm not even saying that it would fill the void left by neopwn. As you can see, neopwn project had a lot of interest of the users.
It would be nice having it ported to N900, and I think that this statement explains it by itself, we don't need to justify it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sr00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
You don't need to point that out. I see Backtrack as a tool for learning IT security. You don't need to be a CISSP pro to enjoy using it. You don't even need to use it in a real target.
I'm not even saying that it would fill the void left by neopwn. As you can see, neopwn project had a lot of interest of the users.
It would be nice having it ported to N900, and I think that this statement explains it by itself, we don't need to justify it.
Exactly!!

Why should I have to justify the App that makes my Phone go "MOO" when I pick it up!!

it's all about how to push the N900 to the maximum and challenge everything

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatcobrah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatcobrah View Post
how to edit the (img) file
you don't need to edit the img file at all..
you just dd it to a partition whether it is on the internal emmc or on your sdcard , later Xephyr needs to be configured to provide an easy debian like usage for this .

If you want to install this to the internal emmc , that's quite easy , it's basically the same as installing any OS to your internal emmc .

install backup menu , connect your n900 to pc , press "w"
then wait ~15 seconds , all partitions on the emmc and the sdcard should appear on your pc as mass storage device .
unmount all partitions if your distribution automatically mounts them .
then fire up gparted . select the 27 GB device (emmc)
right click on the first partition and click shrink , shrink it about 7GB then move the second partition (the ext3 /home partition) to the left and expand it more ex. to 3GB if you want , this gives you more space to install apps in maemo .
now move the swap partition also to the left .
all free space should be on the right .
right click on the free space and click new partition .
I recommend creating an extended partition here as you can have only 4 primary partitions .
inside that extended partition create any other partitions you might want .
for the purpose of installing BT , just create one ext2 partition inside .
click apply .
if you followed what I said it should be /dev/sdb5
exit gparted.
now extract the image , then dd the image to /dev/sd5 :
open a terminal , cd to where you downloaded the image.

gzip -d ./bt5.img.gz
sudo e2fsck -y ./bt5.img
sudo dd if=./bt5.img of=/dev/sdb5
# wait for a long while : 5-15 min maybe more , you can get #progress indication with pv or bar .
sudo e2fsck -y /dev/sdb5
sudo resize2fs /dev/sdb5

disconnect your n900 from pc , and reboot it .
in maemo :
root
mkdir /mnt/bt5
mount /dev/mmcblk0p5 /mnt/bt5

to chroot :

chroot /mnt/bt5

now wait for Qole to finish his scripts to give you easy BT5 !

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivyking View Post
you don't need to edit the img file at all..
you just dd it to a partition whether it is on the internal emmc or on your sdcard , later Xephyr needs to be configured to provide an easy debian like usage for this .

If you want to install this to the internal emmc , that's quite easy , it's basically the same as installing any OS to your internal emmc .

install backup menu , connect your n900 to pc , press "w"
then wait ~15 seconds , all partitions on the emmc and the sdcard should appear on your pc as mass storage device .
unmount all partitions if your distribution automatically mounts them .
then fire up gparted . select the 27 GB device (emmc)
right click on the first partition and click shrink , shrink it about 7GB then move the second partition (the ext3 /home partition) to the left and expand it more ex. to 3GB if you want , this gives you more space to install apps in maemo .
now move the swap partition also to the left .
all free space should be on the right .
right click on the free space and click new partition .
I recommend creating an extended partition here as you can have only 4 primary partitions .
inside that extended partition create any other partitions you might want .
for the purpose of installing BT , just create one ext2 partition inside .
click apply .
if you followed what I said it should be /dev/sdb5
exit gparted.
now extract the image , then dd the image to /dev/sd5 :
open a terminal , cd to where you downloaded the image.

gzip -d ./bt5.img.gz
sudo e2fsck -y ./bt5.img
sudo dd if=./bt5.img of=/dev/sdb5
# wait for a long while : 5-15 min maybe more , you can get #progress indication with pv or bar .
sudo e2fsck -y /dev/sdb5
sudo resize2fs /dev/sdb5

disconnect your n900 from pc , and reboot it .
in maemo :
root
mkdir /mnt/bt5
mount /dev/mmcblk0p5 /mnt/bt5

to chroot :

chroot /mnt/bt5

now wait for Qole to finish his scripts to give you easy BT5 !
wow i dont like shrinking the internal memory coz i'v never do it :S
u mean i can do this way insted of running 32GB eMMC rootfs?
wt do u prefer ?

Originally Posted by fatcobrah View Post
wow i dont like shrinking the internal memory coz i'v never do it :S
u mean i can do this way insted of running 32GB eMMC rootfs?
wt do u prefer ?
what do you mean by 32GB rootfs ??
what I wrote was how to shrink MyDocs to leave space for new partitions as someone asked about installing to the internal memory instead of the sdcard .