Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by gLobster View Post
I had many free space on device.
Ok, then I don't know.

Originally Posted by gLobster View Post
I load initfs_flasher.tgz from post #204, unpacked its and run ./initfs_flash script. Say yes for backup, free space, ssh and after them script terminate abnormally with errors.
After them I copy mkfs.jffs2 from previous initfs_flasher.tgz and rerun ./initfs_flash.
Sadly for troubleshooting this, full output of shell session would be needed. Missing mkfs.jffs2 means something went seriously wrong with unpacking initfs_flasher.tgz archive. If you try this again after reflash and see errors, could you copy full output (including your commands) to clipboard and paste it here? You can even do it over ssh from desktop if it is easier for you to save screen output that way. You can also answer 'no' to last flashing question if the output looks strange. The final produced initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 image should be 1.6-1.9MB large (depends on your choices).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2007-10-04 at 13:49. Reason: typo

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Ok. I try it today evening.

Posts: 203 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ St.Petersburg, Russia
Sorry, I find my error:
tar: unexpected end of file
tar: short read
Bad download

I am following the instructions here - http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...from_mmc_card/.

Everything looks good except that insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko will not work for me. I have a N800 and I know I have to insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/mbcache.ko first...

But it looks like I will have to install ext2.ko via /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ext2.ko.

Is this safe to do? I've read (googled) that a few people have had the same problem...

Originally Posted by Airw0lf View Post
But it looks like I will have to install ext2.ko via /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/ext2.ko.

Is this safe to do? I've read (googled) that a few people have had the same problem...
Yes, the 'current' part is simply broken on N800, you have to use 2.6.18-omap1.

Hmm, when thinking about this, it shouldn't be a problem to fix this 'current' link in bootmenu installation so people are less confused.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
I have updated initfs_flasher.tgz with changes for this FW. It is untested but I hope it will work. There are no changes in linuxrc script which is the only thing that matters for bootmenu.sh script. USB recovery mode is also included but you may always answer no if you don't want it :-)

Please let me know if it works. I will probably update when Nokia releases new kernel source as I don't want to lose my private changes.
Yes, it seems to work fine. My N800 now has OS2008 in Flash and OS2007 on MMC2, and I can choose which one I want from the bootmenu.

Thanks!

Do the instructions in the first post work for the n800 with 2008? I know a new initfs_flasher has been released.

Has anybody successfully copied 2008 to a flash memory card and boot from it?

Any special work arounds needed?

Originally Posted by rone View Post
Has anybody successfully copied 2008 to a flash memory card and boot from it?
Yes
Originally Posted by rone View Post
Any special work arounds needed?
No but due to newer kernel there are issues with wlan and arrow keys so old system is not very usable. Please continue discussion here
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11703

i am experienced with linux. I think the simplified nature of these instructions is perplexing.

1. Can i boot from the external SD card? (instructions seem to always assume internal)

2. Why do we need the vfat partiition on the front of the flash disk?

3. Why not create a more ordinary partition arrangement, as on a full linux system. Separate partition for /home, Especially. That would allow us to protect docs while replacing OS.

TIA

PJ

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by pauljohn32 View Post
i am experienced with linux. I think the simplified nature of these instructions is perplexing.

1. Can i boot from the external SD card? (instructions seem to always assume internal)

2. Why do we need the vfat partiition on the front of the flash disk?

3. Why not create a more ordinary partition arrangement, as on a full linux system. Separate partition for /home, Especially. That would allow us to protect docs while replacing OS.

TIA

PJ
1. yes you can ! Just add external SD (mmc1, mmcblk1p2) [clone it from the item for internal SD (mmc2, mmcblk0p2) ] to bootmenu.config before you flash the boot loader.

2. You don't need to just to make it work with windoze I think. Note that the above item could be different and no longer blk1p1 but maybe blk1p0. I am taking the N800 as an example here. I do not have a N810!

3. Yes. You can do that.