All,
I could tether and use Mobile Hotspot fine previously, now when I try to do either I get taken to the upsell screen where it asks you to upgrade your data plan.

It worked fine up until sometime in January, I think it started acting up when 1.3 was released IIRC.

Anyone have any hints? I did some searches and saw that they recommend changing the connection settings in Ovi Suite to see if that fixes the tethering, but I know that won't affect MobileHotspot so I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions?

I tried using epc.tmobile.com and internet2.voicestream.com as my access point (No username/pass) in MobileHotspot and got the same error for both.

I can surf the internet fine on my n900, I only get the upsell site when I tether or use MobileHotspot

HELP!!!! lol

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
If you're being asked to upgrade your data plan then it's nothing to do with your phone, but your network operator.

Most likely they are detecting that you are tethering which could be against their ToS, thus they are making you pay for the extra functionality.
Alot of network operators do it.

Where are you, and what carrier? I hope this doesn't happen to me.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
It's scary to learn that there actually exist a carrier on earth that would really turn on such non-cost effective functions in the middleware appliances for examining each tcp packet in the mobile network so as to identify the signatures of possible PC applications at the expense of processing overhead and overall bandwidth for just tiny number of users who are actively tethering.

I can only suggest avoiding that smartass carrier at all cost.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I believe most operators look at the TTL of packets to determine if throttling is in use (if your using the phone as a modem then the TTL would be decremented by one).

I haven't tried this but you could add an extra chain to Mobile Hotspots IP-table rules that would increment the TTL by +1.
I believe that should work.

Edit:
Maybe something like this might work:

Code:
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i wlan0 -j TTL --ttl-inc 1

Last edited by jd4200; 2011-03-16 at 18:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jd4200 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jpaulwhite View Post
All,
I could tether and use Mobile Hotspot fine previously, now when I try to do either I get taken to the upsell screen where it asks you to upgrade your data plan.

It worked fine up until sometime in January, I think it started acting up when 1.3 was released IIRC.

Anyone have any hints? I did some searches and saw that they recommend changing the connection settings in Ovi Suite to see if that fixes the tethering, but I know that won't affect MobileHotspot so I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions?

I tried using epc.tmobile.com and internet2.voicestream.com as my access point (No username/pass) in MobileHotspot and got the same error for both.

I can surf the internet fine on my n900, I only get the upsell site when I tether or use MobileHotspot

HELP!!!! lol
Did you install anything new recently ?
I am using PR 1.3 and mobile hotspot. and I just tested, I am still able to surf the web using the 9.99 plan.

PS: epc.tmobile.com is definitely a no no. your 9.99 plan can only access internet2.voicestream.com

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just using Mobile Hot Spot to tether this weekend as well, $9.99/internet2.voicestream.com.

No issues here.

All,
I am in Arlington VA using TMobile. I'll try adding that extra rule, I'm a lil bit knowledgeable about ipchains

Originally Posted by jpaulwhite View Post
All,
I am in Arlington VA using TMobile. I'll try adding that extra rule, I'm a lil bit knowledgeable about ipchains
Any confirmation on whether this addition works? I'm interested in doing this to stay under the radar, so to speak. I use my N900 for typical surfing since it's pretty convenient, but there are just some sites that I need to access that require IE (ugh) and spoofing them via user agent switching doesn't work.

Ok...update...When I put my SIM card in my cousins G2 he can tether all day everyday. So I am thinking it's my phone. Now I am wondering...why it started happening all of a sudden?

I guess I can reflash my phone and see if that works