noooooo ok, i launched azeurus in xterm, using hilda azureus, and it started flashing a lot of text, but it never launched the window to start azureus. Is there any other way to access the files? Or see what packages are installed?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
[strike]Looks like the missing library is in Testing / Lenny. Have you tried installing it with the testing repo added?

EDIT2: I added the Lenny repo in Synaptic and installed monodevelop. The install seems to have worked. But I have no idea what to do with it.

EDIT3: I got to a Debian prompt, typed "monodevelop" and (a few hours later ) up popped a very cramped-looking development environment. I think if this app decided to have a race with molasses in January, the brown goop might just win.
Hey if maxzar100 can try azureus sure i can dream of monodevelop Thanks for the info... i may try it for novelty sake. It actually doesnt work well on an eee so its not surprising that this is probably to much bloat. I really only need 15% of the functionality so maybe i will unload some of the optional dependencies from the metapackage.

no agogo i cant get the azuerus to work, it would be easier if THP would tell us how he got his version of debian working, it was a lot more user freindly and fast. The problem is that azuerus loads up in xterm, but then the azurus window never comes up DOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by thp View Post
The Debian session also puts a tray icon on the maemo desktop with which one can see that debian is running and also switch to the debian session - see the video for a visual explanation

Here's a demonstration: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...84440661&hl=en

What do you think?
That looks really great congratulations, but now you have to teach us how you did it, please .

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by maxzar100 View Post
That post a few ahead of us about the windowed debian, the one by thp, looks really good. It is much more responsive then the one that you made.
Originally Posted by maxzar100 View Post
... it would be easier if THP would tell us how he got his version of debian working, it was a lot more user freindly and fast.
You're killing me, man.

You're comparing the speed of some trivial applets on a light-weight window manager to monsters like Firefox 3 and OpenOffice. "His" Debian is no more responsive than "my" Debian, because they're both Debian chroots.

I don't think you understood the demo video. The cool part was how he had a full screen window manager that he could switch to with a button on the status panel in OS2008. We've already experimented with putting a window manager "on top" of OS2008, and we weren't thrilled with the speed...

If you really crave the speed, make a new ext2 partition on your SD card and copy your chroot to there. I've found it gets better speed than this mounted file way. But you're required to know an awful lot of stuff to do that, which is exactly what I don't want here.

Please try the "Transmission" bittorrent client. I think you'll be much happier with the speed.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-26 at 06:11.

sorry, the speed was just slow for me that one time for some reason, when i increased my ram it is fine. And i do apreciate the apps and the simplicity of your installer package. Think about this, a person with no previous linux knowledge (me) who started using their n800 on friday (also me) was able to install a chroot debian. That has to say something.

Are you gonna make a maemo garage project?

One bug i found, is that i am unable to download any themes or apps for iceweasel. I get a 228 error. But no biggy. Also, it would be nice if i was able to move the keyboard around, so it wouldnt always block the webpage. Is that possible?

Anyway, if i gave you an app that can get ARP packets from a wireless network, would you make the 2007 verison a 2008 version? Then everyone else could use aircrack ptw. the program is called wlaninject. here is the link to the maemo garage site. OMG PACKET INJECTION MAYBE?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Some steps I did to get the setup as depicted in the video:

- Mounting/setting up the chroot is via a python script (automatically detects if the chroot is already set up, will carry out the necessary actions to set it up - given the image file name - in case it's not done already)
- The launcher executes a session script inside the chroot which will take over the screen via a fullscreen Xephyr, place the icon on :0 (the icon will simply bring Xephyr to the front) and launch a windowmaker session inside Xephyr
- The windowmaker session has a special icon which will call another script that will switch back to the maemo desktop without shutting down the chroot session
- When the windowmaker session ends, the icon will be removed and xephyr closed

I'd post my scripts, but they are quite hack-ish at the moment. If one would take the time and clean them up and package them, you'd simply install one .deb for OS2008, place a disk image _anywhere_ (i.e. on mmc1 or mmc2 or usb, ...) and have the scripts manage everything. For the chroot, you either distribute the scripts I wrote inside the image (needs downloading of the image the first time) or simply provide a .deb for the Debian chroot that will be installed there.

Also, I'd like to do something like starting completely from scratch with debootstrap to create a debian chroot image "from scratch" without editing the Debian tarball that is used as a basis for this chroot environment (that's also what I currently use as a basis).

Last edited by thp; 2008-06-26 at 15:36.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Some steps I did to get the setup as depicted in the video:

- Mounting/setting up the chroot is via a python script (automatically detects if the chroot is already set up, will carry out the necessary actions to set it up - given the image file name - in case it's not done already)
- The launcher executes a session script inside the chroot which will take over the screen via a fullscreen Xephyr, place the icon on :0 (the icon will simply bring Xephyr to the front) and launch a windowmaker session inside Xephyr
- The windowmaker session has a special icon which will call another script that will switch back to the maemo desktop without shutting down the chroot session
- When the windowmaker session ends, the icon will be removed and xephyr closed
Thanks. Like I said, we (debernardis and I) have been experimenting with Xephyr and xfce4 (a simple script here), but we're not Python hackers, so things like icons in the OS 2008 status bar are beyond us. It looks like WindowMaker is probably better than xfce4; more snappy.

...you'd simply install one .deb for OS2008, place a disk image _anywhere_ (i.e. on mmc1 or mmc2 or usb, ...) and have the scripts manage everything. For the chroot, you either distribute the scripts I wrote inside the image (needs downloading of the image the first time) or simply provide a .deb for the Debian chroot that will be installed there.
That would be magnificent. If you scan back through this thread, you'll see that I've been looking for a scripter to get the scripts all cleaned up and working well. My stuff is so kludgy and ham-handed.

Also, I'd like to do something like starting completely from scratch with debootstrap to create a debian chroot image "from scratch" without editing the Debian tarball that is used as a basis for this chroot environment (that's also what I currently use as a basis).
Earlier in the thread, I posted a basic Debian Sid debootstrap tarball; this is the rootfs created by debootstrap, with nothing installed yet (it is actually a bzip2 file). I later posted a completely empty, ext2 formatted image file. You mount the empty image file, and then untar the "clean" rootfs inside the mounted image.

The first thing you need to do when chrooting to this is "apt-get update", "apt-get install locales" and then "dpkg-reconfigure locales", otherwise apt-get will give you lots of locale errors every time you try to install something. But after that, you can build yourself any application set you want.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-27 at 00:58.

Do you think, if i added 1gb of virtual ram, out of my 8gb card, open office would run faster? I might try that and see how it helps. I found the code

First create a swap file like you do it normally (from the Control Panel).

Then run a XTerm and do these commands:

Code:

swapoff /media/mmc1/.swap
dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/mmc1/.swap bs=1024 count=256000
mkswap /media/mmc1/.swap
swapon /media/mmc1/.swap

The second command is specifying the size of the swap, here it is close to 256MB, you can tweak it to your liking. This operation can also take very long time so be patient.

After restart it should remain the same size. It will reset probably if you mess again with the swap settings in Control Panel.

wow, now i can allocate as much ram as a Desktop PC!!!!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@maxzar100: I don't think this will give the boost you expect. When I didn't know yet that pdf were not functioning in ooo because the tempfs was too small, I tried to increase virtual memory to 256Megs the way you did. This was ineffective and ooo started as slow as with 128 Megs swapfile.

@thp:
I'd post my scripts, but they are quite hack-ish at the moment. If one would take the time and clean them up and package them, you'd simply install one .deb for OS2008
I'd like to play with your scripts - really because I liked so much your smooth starting of chroot and the way you went to and fro from the xephyr window to the hildon one. Please post. Nobody is less literate than me in python here but at least maybe I'll be able to learn something from them. Thanks :-)

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-06-26 at 20:12.

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian