Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Well, AFAIK, the internet tablets are advertised for mobile internet. They do that very fine compared to other mobile devices and even support Flash, which is very uncommon for mobile devices.
The devices were never advertised for mobile office or as a laptop replacement. They can be used for that and somewhat work, but fixing the OS to make the devices more useful in this direction has nothing to with fixing the software to do what it was advertised for.
Most people don't even install any applications and just use the tablet for surfing. Works as advertised.
You don't think mobile Internet includes email? It would be nice if Modest were fixed, so it could work as advertised. Oh yeah here on the box it says "Internet calling with web camera..." Cool! only that's not completely true, is it?

I dunno about you but my mobile Internet experience starts with typing something in... hmm, can't quite do that without falling over a long standing finger-keyboard bug in MicroB. (That Mr. Abel acknowledges on bugzilla).

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Oh yeah here on the box it says "Internet calling with web camera..." Cool! only that's not completely true, is it?
It seems completely true from here. Absence of explicit qualifiers (such as "with other compatible software") does not negate obvious implicit qualifications. (At least I assume that's where you think it's untrue...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It seems completely true from here. Absence of explicit qualifiers (such as "with other compatible software") does not negate obvious implicit qualifications. (At least I assume that's where you think it's untrue...)
It works for you? Cool, you have google chat on your device, let me fire up google chat on my desktop and you can explain to me how you got it working!

Or do you need compatible software *and* compatible hardware? Wow, that's kinda against the whole intent of the Internet isn't it?

I say it's not *completely* true because in actual use cases, it does not function. I include Gizmo in this, because when I tried it was unusable as a videochat device. With profound proprietary hooks like that in the device you better believe they should mark something on the box. Someone before mentioned the word "disingenuous"?

If you want more picky, the next column on the box calls it a webcam. Go to something like mebeam.com and tell me if the webcam works on... you know, the web.

Originally Posted by pycage
Well, AFAIK, the internet tablets are advertised for mobile internet. They do that very fine compared to other mobile devices and even support Flash, which is very uncommon for mobile devices.
Internet isn't an alias for 'world wide web'. That's just a single service. For a rough idea about how many there are, try 'cat /etc/services' on your Nokia.

Certainly email is a major, important part of 'mobile internet'-ing.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Nokia is porting Qt, the results of which are available right now in Extras. But for Fremantle Qt will only be community supported, the official support will come with Harmattan. This means a Qt Garage project and distribution through Extras (much like Python).
Ok. When I see articles talking about nokia porting qt back from april, and they own the gosh-darned thing, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to think they might be officially supporting it by now and not just as a "community project."

Unfinished how, exactly? Are you referring to the example Clutter UIs available or the actual toolkit? Either way, recall that this is only a pre-alpha.
I was looking at the toolkits they have running on top of it (tidy?) and that's more minimal than what I expect. If I really wanted to build a very rich UI from complete and total scratch it's fine, but that is not what I'm targeting.

I didn't make a differentiation because it isn't relevant here. They've got somewhere in the ballpark of 6 months to polish it up and move it to Extras. Give it time.
What if someone wanted to try installing it? Do most people keep extras-devel available all the time?

From your questions, it sounds like you're more of an application developer, so you're gonna want to wait for a later alpha release or the beta release around March-May.
That's the hat I'm wearing right now for this project, so yes. However I'll want to run this on an n900, not an n8xx, so I want to know what is and is not going to be "officially" available. Sounds like qt isn't guaranteed to be well supported enough to use out of the box for fremantle and that's what I wanted to know.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Usually, 'unlimited' means 'limited but we won't tell you the limit'. If you'd download fullspeed (3.5 mbit) on 3G 24/7 you'd burn about 886 gbit (110 GB) a month. Try it out for fun and profit, but most ISPs will either: 1) contract you with a 'special offer' or 2) cap the crap out of you. You've been warned.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Usually, 'unlimited' means 'limited but we won't tell you the limit'. If you'd download fullspeed (3.5 mbit) on 3G 24/7 you'd burn about 886 gbit (110 GB) a month. Try it out for fun and profit, but most ISPs will either: 1) contract you with a 'special offer' or 2) cap the crap out of you. You've been warned.
I assume this was in response to the data services discussion. You are correct that the service is truly not unlimited. ATT caps their "unlimited" media net plan at 5GB as far as I know. Not sure about their other services. I usually only burn a couple hundred MB a month.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
Ok. When I see articles talking about nokia porting qt back from april, and they own the gosh-darned thing, it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to think they might be officially supporting it by now and not just as a "community project."
Considering that Nokia hired the primary Qt on Maemo guy to work for Maemo Software, I'd say they're putting plenty of money on it. Honestly, though, there are a ton of very talented people currently working on Qt for Maemo. Just because it doesn't happen to be "blessed" this time around, doesn't suddenly make it useless ****. Personally, if I were one of those people working on Qt, I'd be more than a little offended to hear somebody pass judgement about it without even using the damn thing.

I was looking at the toolkits they have running on top of it (tidy?) and that's more minimal than what I expect. If I really wanted to build a very rich UI from complete and total scratch it's fine, but that is not what I'm targeting.
The new Hildon isn't out yet, so the toolkits you see available now aren't the ones that will be available later. Again give it time and wait for a release that you're actually the intended audience of.

What if someone wanted to try installing it? Do most people keep extras-devel available all the time?
Extras-devel isn't the end of the world, and, yes, a lot of people keep it enabled all the time. Why don't you try it and see? I think you're likely to be pretty impressed by how well Qt works on Maemo at this point.

They'll push it to Extras when it's ready, of course, but perhaps you should consider actually talking to the people involved? They're listed on the Garage project page I linked in my last post.

That's the hat I'm wearing right now for this project, so yes. However I'll want to run this on an n900, not an n8xx, so I want to know what is and is not going to be "officially" available. Sounds like qt isn't guaranteed to be well supported enough to use out of the box for fremantle and that's what I wanted to know.
See, now you're jumping to more conclusions based on assumptions and bad data. Python is a community-supported toolkit, and it's perfectly usable out-of-the-box (ever tried Canola?). So your argument that community is synonymous with "wont work out-of-the-box" is bunk.

Let's step back, try taking a look at what's available right now (which I think you'll find quite satisfactory), then maybe come back in a few months when the beta is out and see what you think then. I'm quite certain you'll be more than satisfied.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
A large part of this release is for Nokia to collect feedback on the architecture before it becomes too late to push some changes, so if you've got opinions (hopefully productive ones backed by evidence or experience ) then let 'em loose.
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'd love to do that; what can I do? Is it just a case of picking through the source code, or is there something I can actually run and test? And if there is, what do I need to make that happen?
This is a very early pre-alpha release intended to give platform developers and those folks interested in the platform architecture a jumpstart on Fremantle, and for Nokia to begin collecting feedback about it from them. This release is not intended for application developers, nor is it intended for users.
So, nobody answered my question. Does that mean that there's no practical use for this SDK except to show that Nokia is serious about open source? Who are these platform developers? What exactly do they develop? Can you give me an example?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So, nobody answered my question. Does that mean that there's no practical use for this SDK except to show that Nokia is serious about open source? Who are these platform developers? What exactly do they develop? Can you give me an example?
me, I will be playing specifically towards liqbase!

I will be getting it all installed this weekend hopefully.
I want to see how things sit and once I do that I'll do some testing with clutter on my laptop and see if its buildable on both.

of course it would be easier with a device, but it will do for now.

The alternative to diving straight in with clutter is ensuring my app as it stands builds (I dont think i can run it though, i've never been able to get it working in the past in emulation).

If I know it *builds* on the new device it makes life easier, but if there are missing libraries due to changes I will need to adapt and make ifdefs in code.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: