Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So, nobody answered my question. Does that mean that there's no practical use for this SDK except to show that Nokia is serious about open source? Who are these platform developers? What exactly do they develop? Can you give me an example?
People who develop platform stuff. Kernel, application framework, SDK, system libraries, etc.

Yes, there's plenty of practical use for this release. Both for people directly involved in development, and for folks interested in the architecture (upstream, etc).

In particular, how about Mer? . . .

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'd love to do that; what can I do? Is it just a case of picking through the source code, or is there something I can actually run and test? And if there is, what do I need to make that happen?
You can go to http://maemo-sdk.garage.maemo.org/ and get the release candidate SDK+ running in your PC with the Fremantle rootstraps. File bugs if you find any problem (including documentation not good enough for starters). Open a thread here giving your impressions.

It would be good to have feedback from application developers using the current official SDK. What is better, what could be improved, what is missing.

If you never used the Maemo SDK before you are encouraged to start with this one instead. The content is just the same and the entry level should be much lower. Still not the best and easiest tools for newcomers but they will come as well at some point.

Even power users willing to follow the Fremantle release themselves can try installing it now and see how the newborn looks like in your emulated environment. The sooner you get familiar with this the easier will be for you to install applications as soon as they come and help testing them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
There are more 4.1 maintenance releases in the pipeline..
When ????

Christtmas gift?

:-p

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
It works for you? Cool, you have google chat on your device, let me fire up google chat on my desktop and you can explain to me how you got it working!

Or do you need compatible software *and* compatible hardware? Wow, that's kinda against the whole intent of the Internet isn't it?
The issue is software. It's a matter of protocol only, not hardware related; there's simply a dearth of proper software on all platforms except the tablets. Since the desktop client doesn't support video at all, it should be unsurprising that it does not support it with a specific remote endpoint. I'm not sure what you consider the "whole intent of the internet", but I don't see how this is against it.

While the native software was, AFAIK, only able to support video tablet-to-tablet (due to complete absence of jingle-video support in other software, including Google's own) till last year, with rtcomm comes SIP video interoperability with 3rd party software (including eyebeam and x-lite), so it's definitely fulfilled now.

I say it's not *completely* true because in actual use cases, it does not function. I include Gizmo in this, because when I tried it was unusable as a videochat device. With profound proprietary hooks like that in the device you better believe they should mark something on the box. Someone before mentioned the word "disingenuous"?
So using Google's protocol, and having no interoperability because Google can't be troubled to implement their own protocol, is "profound proprietary hooks"?!

I say it is completely true because in actual use cases, it does function. I don't include Gizmo in this, because I don't use Gizmo; Internet Call works fine for me, and I think the use cases in which it doesn't work are not reasonably inferred from the marketing statements.

If you want more picky, the next column on the box calls it a webcam. Go to something like mebeam.com and tell me if the webcam works on... you know, the web.
Well, picky's good, but I'd rather be correct; I'm actually gonna go for both here, though. Webcam is a word, and as such it has a meaning independent of its etymology. Generally, it refers not to videoconferencing at all, but to live uploading of images (or, lately, streaming) for viewing over the worldwide web (which, BTW, is a concept of interlinked hypertext, and doesn't properly apply to a Flash-based star-topology service). Still, proper webcam functionality also does not exist out-of-the-box on the tablets, which is actually a stronger argument that "webcam" is misapplied here. (Basic webcam functionality is available by third-party software, of course, e.g. motion.)

Clearly, though, the problem is an abuse of terminology, rather than intent to deliver a genuine webcam defeated by bugs or incompleteness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
If you buy a Nokia Internet Tablet and you think there is something wrong with it you can exercise your customer rights - business as usual in the consumer electronics industry.

Filing bugs and get them eventually fixed in updates goes in addition to (and not instead of) the guarantee of the product.
Hardware faults, absolutely. For instance, my N800 is currently undergoing warrany repair for the touchscreen sensitivity issue and will eventually, hopefully one day find its way back to me. That kind of thing can happen to early adopters, no biggie and not your problem.

The software side isn't so black and white though. Let me pick one of my personal pet peeves as an example (no, I'm not going to touch the GPS topic with the proverbial bargepole): the hardware keyboard language switching bug (2501/3407). This is a feature that definitely doesn't work as described in the documentation, looks like a software bug (although if not I would like to know before the warranty runs out) and probably not that hard to fix at that (but see below). Would it have been preferable/more reasonable from your point of view to return the device immediately or report the bug along with any relevant information I could find and wait for a fix as I have done?

In any case, at least now we know where we stand with respect to firmware updates for current devices. Disappointing, but a better position to be in than last week.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
And if it gets fixed unofficially, would that be good enough? Assuming we can get a decent-ish Diablo-on-steroids out, you'll have a far better chance of fixing any problems you see yourself, or persuading others that they are important and fixing them en-mass.
Yes, definitely. In fact I'd love pointers to where I should start looking for fixing the above bug, but the only reference to a specific package (hildon-input-method-plugins) is to something that doesn't even exist in binary form yet, including Fremantle.

I can (sort of) understand your frustration (though I have various devices that have limitations/problems which get very very infrequent firmware updates, which usually cause more problems than they solve too).
Don't we all. Anyway, I think I've vented enough already, I'll shut up now :-)

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
It seems to me that when considering a realistic timeline for the release of this device, a better option than HSPA would be LTE. It'd really suck if I go out and buy an HSPA device only to find a LTE edition to be released Q4 09 or Q1 '10. In the long run, LTE would be much better and be supported by the most networks (in the US anyway).

Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
It seems to me that when considering a realistic timeline for the release of this device, a better option than HSPA would be LTE. It'd really suck if I go out and buy an HSPA device only to find a LTE edition to be released Q4 09 or Q1 '10. In the long run, LTE would be much better and be supported by the most networks (in the US anyway).
I think you're being just a touch optimistic about LTE deployment. If we're talking a Summer 2009 release, then it's gonna be, what, 2 years before you get any decent sort of coverage with LTE? Whereas with HSPA you get strong coverage in practically all metropolitan areas and slow, but available coverage almost everywhere else right now. Really, what's the real advantage going to be with LTE? It's not as if we're maxing out 802.11g in any way shape or form now.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I think you're being just a touch optimistic about LTE deployment. If we're talking a Summer 2009 release, then it's gonna be, what, 2 years before you get any decent sort of coverage with LTE? Whereas with HSPA you get strong coverage in practically all metropolitan areas and slow, but available coverage almost everywhere else right now. Really, what's the real advantage going to be with LTE? It's not as if we're maxing out 802.11g in any way shape or form now.
Agreed, LTE is just too far away for serious consideration. It would be great if the Maemo5 device could support HSPA+ which apparently is a software upgrade to the existing ATT HSDPA network.

link: http://www.electronista.com/articles...plus.now.live/

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Maybe your just being a touch optomistic about the actual release date of Maemo 5. Recent analysts have been *claiming deployment in some areas as soon as late 2009. There was very limited Wimax availability at the time it was announced as well (I'd say there still is). I really think (I'm sure you'll disagree...since I don't remember you really agreeing with well...anybody) that it's the better choice (even if you can't use it for a few months) since you'll be more limited with HSPA than LTE with regards to speed, carrier, bandwidth, max downloads, etc. And I think it's going to happen sooner than you think because big companies like Verizon have so much of their future vested in it.

Maybe your just being a touch optomistic about the actual release date of Maemo 5. Recent analysts have been *claiming deployment in some areas as soon as late 2009.
Mind backing that up with more than just forum speculation? The beta release is scheduled for March-May 2009. Don't tell me you seriously thing it'd take another 6-7 months after that to kick a device out the door.

There was very limited Wimax availability at the time it was announced as well (I'd say there still is).
By "it" I'm assuming you mean the N810W. It's a niche product, and not really much of an argument for launching your platform's primary product with a dead-weight data modem. You think there was a bad reaction when people found their email client didn't really work, how bad do you think it'd be if you had to wait 6 months for that much-touted cellular connectivity to work?

I really think that it's the better choice (even if you can't use it for a few months) since you'll be more limited with HSPA than LTE with regards to speed, carrier, bandwidth, max downloads, etc. And I think it's going to happen sooner than you think because big companies like Verizon have so much of their future vested in it.
Perhaps when it's actually rolled out, but until it is it's another WiMAX situation. That's one thing for a niche product like the N810W, but completely another for the platform's primary device. Anyway, what makes you think the next tablet after RX-51 wont have LTE?

(I'm sure you'll disagree...since I don't remember you really agreeing with well...anybody)
Can you try to argue your points without making it personal? It really doesn't help your case.