Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
I hope that is the kind of thing you are looking for.
Actually, this brainstorming process is about the maemo.org community and *.maemo.org web sites, not Maemo the software or Maemo the division at Nokia that made the N900. So, your post is a bit off topic for this discussion.

Still, it was thoughtful and well written, and I hope you will continue to provide feedback to Nokia. You can certainly post such ideas in threads on this forum, but you may also want to take advantage of the official Nokia forum and the Nokia Care phone line. They are official product feedback channels to Nokia, while this forum is just visited by a few Nokia employees on their own time.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Made these Sticky by request.

Gadsby, is there any way to force some order here? Like make this thread the top one?

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Dave, are we talking about Maemo here or MeeGo?
Very specifically Maemo

Dave.

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Hi,

Speaking only for myself...

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Is this more of a "We'll have to change something, if you want to be part of the change: This is your last chance to be heard"? Or is it a "We don't know if we'll have to change things at all; any suggestions?"?

Apart from one single issue (testing packages) which I'll try to comment upon, I'm very comfortable with the way the community works ATM. - I'm just not sure if I need to put a "Please leave things as they are" into each thread or if not posting at all will be counted as just that (instead of as "Benny doesn't care", which wouldn't be correct).

Does my question make any sense?
To me it's a "No-one is telling me what to do, and setting my own agenda with no feedback or big-picture thinking is getting old" thing.

Maemo exists, and will become a mostly 100% volunteer effort to provide software for older devices once MeeGo 1.0 for the handsets comes out. Given that, it'd be useful to know what people expect Maemo to provide in terms of services, and what efforts are needed from the community, to keep things on the tracks, once Maemo goes into maintenance mode in Nokia.

Dave.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Very specifically Maemo
In fact, very specifically maemo.org

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
One big improvement would be for Nokia to communicate in some kind of official capacity.

I think many people here feel a bit abandoned by Nokia.

A couple of examples:.
(1) the long silence of PR 1.2.
We know it is delayed but a little more information would help.

(2) Also reassurances about the relevance of maemo compared with MeeGo.

Even some kind of communication in the weekly newsletter will help or maybe a dedicated thread where Nokia "officials" can post announcements.

I think this reluctance to communicate is hurting the community and beginning to turn some people away from Nokia products.

I think some mechanism for "formal" communication by Nokia is needed. It would feel like the community is more engaged with the company and feel like we actually matter.

Nokia is one of the few manufacturers in Europe that can challenge the USA in the IT sector.
The main channel for "formal" communication from Nokia is http://conversations.nokia.com/ . I try to complement here when needed, and when there are actually "formal" things to say.

Your post is very interesting and I'm happy discussing this further in an own thread, since it's not really related to this Brainstorm.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
With the arrival of a n900 installable MeeGo or with the replacement of the n900 by a new MeeGo phone, the maemo history will probably end if things continue the way they are today. Imho MeeGo will not have the hildon libraries (but it will in fact come with gtk), so most of todays maemo software will not compile nor run on MeeGo.

In this context i'd like to see one of the following things:

* Maemo5 final running on 3rd party hardware (Beagleboard, Touch Book) as a basis of community based Maemo devices, or
* a usable version of Mer able to run todays Maemo apps
* In this context: Nokia releasing either the source code of the closed source core components or at least Nokia giving the permission to redistribute the closed source components as part of a 3rd party Maemo5 or Mer image/device/whatever

I really think either the next half year will show a possibility to build community developed Maemo units or this entire discussion is rather futile.

Or somone will port all the hildon libs to MeeGo and current Maemo apps will be able to run on MeeGo, then Maemo might indeed just fade away with nobody really missing it ...

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
In fact, very specifically maemo.org
Funny, I said what I meant, so perhaps we disagree on the scope? For me we're talking about more than web infrastructure, we're talking about a self-sustainable community & project.

Dave.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The main channel for "formal" communication from Nokia is http://conversations.nokia.com/ . I try to complement here when needed, and when there are actually "formal" things to say.

Your post is very interesting and I'm happy discussing this further in an own thread, since it's not really related to this Brainstorm.
We don't want you to tell us the exact date and time of PR 1.2 Release. We only want you to give us a rough estimate of when it'll be released.

That is it.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
In this context i'd like to see one of the following things:

* Maemo5 final running on 3rd party hardware (Beagleboard, Touch Book) as a basis of community based Maemo devices, or
* a usable version of Mer able to run todays Maemo apps
* In this context: Nokia releasing either the source code of the closed source core components or at least Nokia giving the permission to redistribute the closed source components as part of a 3rd party Maemo5 or Mer image/device/whatever
I think this is a bad idea. While opening all the discarded Maemo code could be cool, it would be a waste of resources and time.

MeeGo is ultra-portable as well and is designed for any sort of hardware

However, I do think we should look into what you say here:
Or somone will port all the hildon libs to MeeGo and current Maemo apps will be able to run on MeeGo, then Maemo might indeed just fade away with nobody really missing it ...
Hildon and Maemo GTK+ is fading into community maintenance and we knew this already. Can I motivate you to be starting a discussion on meego-dev on how we can be using libhildon in a MeeGo context?

I -think- it's possible, but Maemo GTK+ is a tough camel to shallow in order to get a full Hildon API. And since all apps have to be repackaged anyway, we can maybe do something smarter this time around.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
announcement, brainstorm, community, maemo, maemo.org