Originally Posted by atilla View Post
1080p recording and playback,hd games,better multitasking,smooth scrolling,better battery life,hard cpu tasks like video encoding and so on

for 2011 n900 is underpowered.
period

btw:
there are one-click rooting apps for android.next time please get some informations.
thanks
one-click rooting works; but before u try, imho, pls learn how to backup your phone first - that is NOT simple for noob/causal user

cheers

ps: i have a rooted SGS

Last edited by cheve; 2011-02-12 at 13:45.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Personally, I think the Atrix 4g got me, it damn looks great!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The history of the N770, N800, N810 and N900 strongly suggests that Nokia will abandon support prematurely for any Meego product it releases. I think that buying nothing is the best choice for now. The N900 still works, and I hope that its price drops dramatically as a result of this news.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
No, it's underrated. You'll never find me on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr or other publicly accessible 'social networking' or 'cloud services' sites. People are way too casual about this stuff.
Yes they are, you won't find me on those services either, but what I'm saying is that personal information that Google might snatch off of you is a mere speckle of what FB does, and yet [s]people[/s] sheep don't seem to have a problem with that.

In such setup, privacy concerns are really overrated.

1080p recording and playback,hd games,better multitasking,smooth scrolling,better battery life,hard cpu tasks like video encoding and so on
And how do you plan to achieve 1080p recording and/or HD games on an N900? The original concern was that one would have to replace his N900 because others will have dual core CPUs, not because others can record in HD (not to mention that I see a little reason to record 1080p on a hand-held device anyway - physics, ain't it a bi*ch, you can't fit good enough optics in a pocketable device to grant you acceptable light throughput for 1080p). Other devices gaining new features do not make N900 obsolete - lack of support does, tho...

And come on, better multitasking? Do you see any device (of this form factor) in the foreseeable feature that can even compete on the same level with the N900 when it comes to multitasking, let alone surpass it? Something running webOS perhaps, but I'd be highly skeptical...

for 2011 n900 is underpowered.
period
You still failed to provide a reasonable argument for that one. Unless you want to run live video transcoding, a full-blown web server for 1000s of people, do complex bio-chemistry or physics simulations, or something along those lines on a handheld device, N900's HW is anything but underpowered. Not to mention that, unlike other platforms, N900 could actually do the mentioned tasks quite easily, it would just lack the muscle for it.

True, it would be nice if it would have a dual core CPU, at least 1GB of RAM, better camera, stereo mic, HDMI/DP out, USB host/OTG etc. and no doubt devices released in 2011 would surpass it on the HW spec sheet, but what good would that bring you if you have an OS that outright considers you as the enemy, or spends half of those resources just to run itself, or you have to ask the manufacturer/carrier for permission to access those features?

I know why I've got N900 (and ordered another one yesterday) - not to flash it in front of my friends, and not to be satisfied with crumbles that the manufacturer decided to throw me, but to use it as my laptop replacement that I can fit in my pocket and carry it around wherever I go. And so far, it's been doing that task almost flawlessly, and certainly much better than anything else out there on the market, including the devices which have double the RAM or double the CPU power than that of the N900. And I don't see anything else in sight that could replace it. YMMV.

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
For the foreseeable future i am sticking with my N900, my contract was up last year and i have looked around and nothing has come close to tempt me away from my N900.

I will bide my time and keep an eye on how things develop, in the mean time i will enjoy what i think is still one of the best phone/tablets out at the moment.

also

i am sure this great community will be around for a long time so there is no need to jump ship.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run