Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Is there a "N900 MeeGo Status" page listing what's working and not working with MeeGo?

Or something like a "Milestone Page" showing what is completed and still outstanding?
http://wiki.meego.com/Release_Engineering/Plans/1.2

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Is there a "N900 MeeGo Status" page listing what's working and not working with MeeGo?

Or something like a "Milestone Page" showing what is completed and still outstanding?
We have weekly status meetings from sometime in December. Highly technical, but read for instance:

http://trac.tspre.org/meetbot/meego-...-16-08.00.html (view full logs for all detail)

http://trac.tspre.org/meetbot/meego-...-05-08.00.html (view full logs for all detail)
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
And Android continues its march to assimilate nearly all form factors that Meego is going after (regardless of whether Google is actively planning on it).
I have to admit I am mightily tempted by the Asus Slider + Android Honeycomb (a video of it just appeared at Engadget).

Come on, Nokia, thow us a bone!!

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dallas, TX
Meego loses its attraction to me. I've been using N900 for a year, and almost nothing improved.

I'm thrilled to Android too, probably will get one android phone once the dual core platform is out.

Maemo is good but dying, Meego is in the mist and don't know where going.....

The Following User Says Thank You to nightwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
There are still alot of companies interested in Meego, I'm just wondering how long they'll stick around as Android continues to grow. The longer they give Android to grow, the bigger the battle Meego will have to face.
I guess you missed the fact that MeeGo, not Android, is the challenger here.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by nightwings View Post
Meego loses its attraction to me. I've been using N900 for a year, and almost nothing improved.

I'm thrilled to Android too, probably will get one android phone once the dual core platform is out.

Maemo is good but dying, Meego is in the mist and don't know where going.....
sometimes I read some Android forums too and I can garantie that android people also crying about "nothing improved". But it is just rubish saying nothing has improved on n900 because alot has improved!

* two big upgrades
* Qt has been upgraded
* QtQuick support to make it easy for developers write apps for both symbian and Maemo/Meego
* Engineers at nokia has give us kernel updates too make it possible for other developers to test meego on n900, even if they knows they dont make money give us unofficial meego support.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
sometimes I read some Android forums too and I can garantie that android people also crying about "nothing improved". But it is just rubish saying nothing has improved on n900 because alot has improved!

* two big upgrades
* Qt has been upgraded
* QtQuick support to make it easy for developers write apps for both symbian and Maemo/Meego
* Engineers at nokia has give us kernel updates too make it possible for other developers to test meego on n900, even if they knows they dont make money give us unofficial meego support.
All great. But nothing physical, nor actual shown... the best tools don't exactly instill faith in most geeks.

I remember when BeOS had 64-bit journaling and the best media file system on top of a kernel based OS, a terminal, native C++ compiling. Hell, I bought r4 and r5 - and still run it via VMWare.

And yet... it died.

Nokia needs to show something. Qt isn't going to do much more than tell me that I can develop for it. Doesn't tell me that stuff has been developed that will keep my attention on that platform. Or that many vendors, and I don't mean the release once never update variety (read: Skype, Real, and whomever has done so on Maemo 4 and Maemo 5 by releasing once and never updating or expanding their offerings... that app was paid for, once and they never came back - think about it)

I'm not truly convinced and I need plain, hard, awesome looking everything. Samsung came out with a 4.5 Super AMOLED, 1.2ghz Hummingbird w/ 1gb phone and a 8mp back camera. That's impressive hardware.

Google showed off Android 3.0 for tablets... and it alongside the QNX based Playbook by RIM looks impressive.

And all I've seen so far... Qt got updated or something is coming. MeeGo 1.2 is coming in April - 1.1 was not really all that impressive. And no vendor announcements - I don't mean the impressive OEM announcements - and I'm... not really excited about MeeGo.

Sure... it's open. It's coming. But it's gonna take a long friggin' time for it to attract attention from more than just the diehard Nokia or Linux fan. And with Nokia's inability to commit to one iteration of Maemo past 13 months of official support (less with Maemo 5) then honestly my patience and enthusiasm have hit new lows for MeeGo.

And I'm darn willing to bet I'm not the only person thinking like that. And I'm quite sure some folks will continue to carry the torch for MeeGo; but it's gonna take a demo of damn near biblical proportions for me to gather any excitement.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
what excitement for n900 meego ?

there is more posts updates and activity in the n900 nitdroid threads then in the entire n900 meego/hman forum

yea the nitdroid port is still incomplete and done by a small team and the is unofficial - yet somehow there is more enthusiasm for it then meego

something is wrong and needs to be fixed

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
what excitement for n900 meego ?

there is more posts updates and activity in the n900 nitdroid threads then in the entire n900 meego/hman forum

yea the nitdroid port is still incomplete and done by a small team and the is unofficial - yet somehow there is more enthusiasm for it then meego

something is wrong and needs to be fixed
I'm sure there's a wiki link that will supposedly remedy that lack of post updates and/or excitement.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And all I've seen so far... Qt got updated or something is coming. MeeGo 1.2 is coming in April - 1.1 was not really all that impressive. And no vendor announcements - I don't mean the impressive OEM announcements - and I'm... not really excited about MeeGo.

Sure... it's open. It's coming. But it's gonna take a long friggin' time for it to attract attention from more than just the diehard Nokia or Linux fan. And with Nokia's inability to commit to one iteration of Maemo past 13 months of official support (less with Maemo 5) then honestly my patience and enthusiasm have hit new lows for MeeGo.

And I'm darn willing to bet I'm not the only person thinking like that. And I'm quite sure some folks will continue to carry the torch for MeeGo; but it's gonna take a demo of damn near biblical proportions for me to gather any excitement.
I for one agree with you, I'm happy and even mildly excited to see that there is still a Linux distro for handsets and internet tablets and that it will eventually, probably, become the standard platform. I like this, it's cool, but it's not something that affects me in any real way right now.

The fact Meego is still not day-to-day usable on the only platform I have, the N900 (well it wasn't when I last looked before Christmas, it may be now, I'll have to test again) means that I have no real involvement in (and therefore excitement about) what's happening.

Yes I know I could get involved doing platform development and bugfixing stuff, but looking at the #meego-arm meetings, it seems to me that there are lots of people who are paid to do platform development there, so my sticking my oar in and distracting them asking what I could do with a paltry hobbyist 1h/day seems pointless.

Meego application development is another option, and I do this anyway for Maemo (and it should apparently be reasonably easy to port over with the new SDK, etc.) Working on the Meego reference apps seems rather pointless as the next Nokia handset will use its own UI so we are led to believe (and replace those reference apps), so unless we have some hardware on which we wish to just run the reference implementation of Meego, this would be wasted time.

Now yes, the N900 is such a platform, but it is getting rather long in the tooth, there is some pretty impressive hardware out there these days - bigger screens, faster processors, twin core processors, more RAM, etc., and it would be nice to have some of this new stuff to play with (running Linux of course).

So I'm personally just waiting for some new hardware that looks suitable (big screen, hw kb, camera, compass, gps, etc.) and will run Meego, then I'll get more enthused actually using it and being able to develop for it (and feeling that the work I do will have some sort of lifetime on the device in question.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:

Tags
d.o.a., it's dead jim, meegohorny, tabuntu, undroid