Active Topics

In this post:

1. Introduction
2. Recap on how to unbrick this phone
3. Testing plan
4. Way out
5. Conclusion

1. Introduction
I currently have a BlackBerry Curve 8320 that's served me well over the past two years and have been looking to get a new cell phone. One of my friends asked me to look into getting a n900. Does this spreadsheet look familiar to you? Well, it says that the n900 wins in the way of the total cost of ownership.

2. Recap on how to unbrick this phone
Based on what I've been hearing on this forum, unbricking this phone is easy if I have flasher and the image: Turn off the phone, plug it in, and run Flasher.

3. Testing Plan
Onto the fun part: Seeing that this phone integrates very tightly with Skype, I'm very tempted to get just a data plan, and T-Mobile offers one for $39.99. Couple this with Skype's unlimited SkypeOut and SkypeIn number and I have a way to make unlimited calls for a pretty low price. Here are my requirements in addition to full integration:
(a) When the Nokia n900 recovers from an interruption in data access, Skype shall automatically reconnect.
(b) The Nokia n900, T-Mobile network, and Skype shall provide successful handoff between cell phone towers.

Timeline:
Late February: Bench testing to determine satisfaction of requirement (a).
March: Order up data-only plan SIM card from T-Mobile and begin road testing to determine satisfaction of requirement (b). To simulate a conversation, I will play a 128 kbps radio stream. Testing will be done under the following scenarios:
  • Walking
  • Driving around the block at 45 MPH (72 km/h)
  • Driving down a highway at 65 MPH (104 km/h). (Remark: This is a "nightmare scenario test" - passing this test is not expected.)
April: Notify contacts of my new number.

4. Way Out
If testing does not pan out as I like, I have two options: (1) Get Even More Plus 500 with the $10/mo. data plan (I will be ordering just a SIM, so there's no telling whether I have a smartphone!) or (2) Sticking with the Even More Plus 500 plan with a kludge for when I want data access.

5. Conclusion
I'm in the mood for experimentation, but I would like to learn from the experiences of those who went before me. Your guidance, support, and/or skepticism are appreciated.

Finally, what are the killer apps I should install?

Last edited by cyeung; 2010-02-13 at 15:05. Reason: The phone's on my desk, so it's not a pre-purchase countdown anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Dec 2009
I assume you used Blackberry for good email experience. I would read posts regarding email experience on these boards. Its very mixed. If you want to surf web, twit, facebook, etcetera, its a good device. But if you want email experience, hard to beat BB

Originally Posted by Guber99 View Post
I assume you used Blackberry for good email experience. I would read posts regarding email experience on these boards. Its very mixed. If you want to surf web, twit, facebook, etcetera, its a good device. But if you want email experience, hard to beat BB
I'm doing my email using GMail, so I assume that IMAP will work. In any case, you're right -- the BlackBerry has been very good to me, although it is starting to show its age.

I have a n900 sitting on my desk right now. It will be without a SIM card for about a month. I spent all evening playing with this thing -- enabling the Extras repository, updating to PR1.1, installing Firefox, etc. I had to pull out some tricks from my old Linux bag, but the experience has been good so far.

Good luck trying to use skype on tmobile's netork. It will be hit or miss.

Originally Posted by neodymium View Post
Good luck trying to use skype on tmobile's netork. It will be hit or miss.
At least I'm not trying to use it on AT&T (disclaimer: I WILL make crack shots at AT&T at every opportunity). There is a reason why I have a testing plan of sorts -- to ensure that it will be a hit. Thanks for your question.

good luck dude .. do post the results ..

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
for me email works perfect using nokia messagings push (it pushes my gmail messages)

gruber had issues with his exchange

good luck testing

My testing shows that the n900 satisfies requirement (a) by testing: While connected to Skype (not in a call), I disabled my router's wifi and re-enabled it after the n900 recognized that there's no longer a connection. The n900 connected on the next scan.

I also did a call on Skype to see just how much bandwidth it'd take. The attached screenshot came from my DD-WRT administration page. It looks as if EDGE can handle the bandwidth requirements.

Can a mod please change the topic to say that testing is in progress? It's no longer pre-purchase... the phone's on my desk and testing is in progress. Thanks!
Attached Images

Originally Posted by cyeung View Post
I also did a call on Skype to see just how much bandwidth it'd take. The attached screenshot came from my DD-WRT administration page. It looks as if EDGE can handle the bandwidth requirements.
It's the latency that makes voip over edge/3g a hit or miss thing. It's not bad, unless it is. I'm on tmobile and i've been able to use skype on it via the n900, but there is no question that the call quality is better over wifi.