Hi Everybody!

I'm Thomas from France and i'm the owner of a N900 without any physical issue.
The problem is that, after the kernel power user installation, it can't be turned on. Only the first "Bzz" (vibration) and... nothing : it always restart to this primary "bzz".
The other thing is i can't access through a PC to the data on the N900 (pictures of my child!!)

If anybody can help?

Thomas

The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasB For This Useful Post:
If you flash only fiasco image you won't loose your files in MyDocs and it will probably solve the kernel problem.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware
Or you can get your files first using rescueOS and then do a complete reflash (fiasco and vanilla).

Last edited by saponga; 2016-09-22 at 13:14. Reason: link for rescueOS

The Following User Says Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You may even try flashing kernel only first. Only if that does not help, flash the fiasco image.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Did you manually install kernel-power and kernel-power-modules and kernel-power-flasher? Or did you use any of the application manager?
Did you try to simply remove the battery for a couple of seconds to shut down the device completely?

The Following User Says Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Thanks Everybody for your answers.

I'm sorry but really don't remember the way i have installed it. (it was a looong time ago)

I will try to flash it (Have tryed installing "flasher-3.5.exe" on Windows 10. Clicking on the .exe, the program's window opens and shuts down after a millisecond... is it the way it works?) and i'm totally newbie with command manip!

Question : Is it possible to flash the device even if it stays quite after having connected it with a PC.
I only see the screen with this beautiful gray dark nokia watermark appearing after the "bzz"...

Thanks for your help

Last edited by ThomasB; 2016-09-26 at 12:09.

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You may even try flashing kernel only first. Only if that does not help, flash the fiasco image.
Exactly what I was going to say. If flashing of kernel failed when processing, in my opinion trying to recover it somehow will take more time than simply flashing tablet and setting it up again.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I will try to flash it (Have tryed installing "flasher-3.5.exe" on Windows 10. Clicking on the .exe, the program's window opens and shuts down after a millisecond... is it the way it works?) and i'm totally newbie with command manip!

Question : Is it possible to flash the device even if it stays quite after having connected it with a PC.
I only see the screen with this beautiful gray dark nokia watermark appearing after the "bzz"....

I don't really like to write this all over again, you can find hundreds "how to" on this forum only. I will make an exception, shorty:

Code:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware
Flashers and fiasco's:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131117073524/http://skeiron.org/tablets-dev/
the flasher 3.5 needs to be installed and then used from console. Run cmd, cd to the folder when you installed the flasher, then run

Code:
flasher-3.5 -F fiasco/kernel package name.bin -f
It is all covered (in details) in wiki link I gave you.

Mine version is short, but we, let's say "constant users of this forum" will provide others with everything we can, but flashing is basics so we expect you to do something for yourself. Otherwise, you will learn nothing, when there is almost unlimited material if it comes to linux boxes. In this particular case of this particular device you need to learn some to really have fun and appreciate the device you play with. No offence of course, it's just the way it is

Last edited by Ridd92; 2016-09-27 at 12:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
hello,

What I've tried yet

:downloaded the flasher 3.5,
and the proper .bin,
but i simply was not able to lauch the flasher on Windows 10. The flasher window opens when i left click on the .exe, but it's immediatly disappear from the desk. It's not even in the tasks and applications working.
I've also tried to execute with a command order, the message is ( a bad translation from french) "the specified access has not been find"

All for today

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You have to run flasher from the command line. You may need to open the command window as Administrator. Even then it may not work on Windows 10; I don't know if anyone has tried. There are a few posts around here about running it on Windows 8, maybe similar tricks would work. Your safest bet is downloading, burning and booting from a live Linux CD (Debian or Ubuntu). You will need the Linux variant of flasher.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Execute as pichlo said: a Linux Live CD...

No idea about Win10 (hopefully I 'll never have to touch). But I guess you need to install it with 'compatibility mode'.
Then (after 'successful' installation) you definitely need to start with admin rights. It will open a command console / DOS box / black window.
And even more difficult: the USB access is not working as it is a 32bit application and under a 64bit OS yoi need libusb drivers.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Thanks everyboby,

Even this admin rights, it doesn't work.

Extra Newbie question : Is there any issue doing this from a Linux live CD on a x64 bit PC?