Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
@endsormeans

Can you imagine that some see the problem to be the other way around?

But let me be optimistic here, as your best case scenario would be to educate:

Esoteric geeks to swear less and use less complicated words to make a point or explain the solution to a problem.

Silly users to stop "rm -f" everything they can put their hands on, because they read it somewhere... RTFM, it's Linux, dammit. Also, teach them to eat with a fork, rather than demanding to be spoon fed all the time.

Seriously, the Linux world is largely comprised of people who are autodidacts, who have plenty of curiosity, coupled with an eagerness to learn and who prefer to deal with trouble in a self-reliant way. You don't really expect these nerds to become like Apple Geniuses,do you?
I didn't start this thread to defend a position.....that just muddies the water.
I got the answers to my questions from a democratically elected spokesperson
...and that being said won't waste further energy or time defending my words ...that are pretty clear ...and transparent
The answer is.... we have the wiki........ergo ...continuing this topic is simply consuming forum space

I am responding to your question here specifically because this is a social/philosophical query posed to me...other than that as I said....
I'm done.

I completely understand and sympathize with what you're saying...but put simply...we are now the caretakers here...not a corp. . How we conduct ourselves ...especially with the spoon-fed is important. At one point we all had to be spoon-fed...diaper changed....taught how to speak...learn how to behave. What child wants ridicule...swearing and scorn when trying to do better? That is all out abuse.

Now we know better... because we learned. If you had teachers in a school that behaved thus the teachers in question would be out of a job ...possible court action. I know we aren't employees and this isn't our job....but if we are here to help new people...treating full grown adults...hell STATING to full grown adults that they are spoonfed, swear at them and demean them won't encourage them to stay ...and they will probably tell others which doesn't project a good ideal....When we lose one new member thus....we potentially lose scads more.

Blaming them for their ignorance ...blaming the corps for spoon feeding them ms and apple....none are to blame here really....The speed at which all civilization is going at....is to blame.......the need ....the demand...for simple devices ...simple operating systems is proof positive of the problem. If we intend on being the solution then we must be good physicians and help the lame walk and blind see. Up to a point I was patient with Buffalo...until it was past bearable. My view is when a sick patient is on the operating table...they will not be thinking straight...they need help...fix them up....they may yell and scream at you while you are helping...but who wouldn't?...You are the doctor...yelling back won't help...do what you can...and once they are cured ....if they are still yelling...give them time to recover....and then tell them they are an ***.

Better yet refer them to the wiki

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-07 at 02:11. Reason: etc

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
OK, now, in no more than 3 lines of text - what the hell this thread is about?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Ironically, it appears to be "getting information to new users is hard."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Viqsi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90040 which resulted in...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90060 which led to this thread you are reading but culminates in deleting all superfluous posts such as http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90179 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90250 and http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...29#post1345829 leaving the problem remaining.
sorry this isn't 3 lines...perhaps there is a solution in the wiki

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-07-07 at 06:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Note to OP: Substitute "a buffalo" for "an Agent" in the quote below.

"A little piece of advice. You see an Agent, you do what we do -- run."

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
use google search and you will find the right TMO stuff...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
I wasn't about to try a herculean effort on my own that would take forever....
We would never have anything in the oss world with that approach. You start and maybe others come in aid.

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
....you speak about what YOU need... not what a new person needs....
Yeah, I was speaking absolutely about what *I* need, as I was responding to your accusing me of giving you the "I'm fine Jack" line. Don't twist my words please.

And yet how many "absolute newbs" do you expect to go around and start buying used N810's and for what reason? I expect that most of the people who in 2013 search and purchase NIT's either had one before, or have researched and know that this device does something for them that makes it a better value than some current hardware. You said it yourself, the NIT's being hacker's domain don't have everything needed in the manuals. Whoever buys a such a device should be at least willing to search for info.

In the end, what is exactly the problem you want to solve? Writing a guide for new people isn't that a herculean effort, and searching for simple problems mostly works

https://www.google.com/search?q=maem...roblem%20gmail
https://www.google.com/search?q=install+apkenv+on+n900
https://www.google.com/search?q=install+diablo+turbo
https://www.google.gr/search?q=new+N900+user

okay, maybe somebody might have to read the whole thread for some things under development (modest problem for example) but this is soon to be fixed with the next CSSU update.

all those simple queries display the response in the first result. The whole internet is a dump of info without any categorization, and finding info on it is much easier than any categorized catalog ever conceived. Trying to categorize a conversational medium like a forum is an exercise in futility. It might very well be that we categorize something where we feel it's relevant and the other guy tries to find it somewhere else.

The wiki is the place for concise information, and whoever wants to codify any info should edit that. Now if you think that reading thread by thread and creating wiki pages with the gist of them will help, by all means start doing it, and if there's a list of threads that need summarizing and I have read them, I'll sure help, time permitting.

I apologize if my post was read as a dump of negativity, but the OP as it was before the edit, sounded only like a big rant.

EDIT: Your edits to your posts are pathetic. You didn't like that some people didn't want to jump cheering on your "initiative" and started destroying info as revenge? Nice.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-07-07 at 22:41.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
It was no big rant...It wasn't a rant at all.......as far as editing goes...I did a fabulous cleaning of all my overly long explanatory posts....leaving only pertinent posts.

Last edited by endsormeans; 2013-10-01 at 01:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
why out reasons????? The wiki is the solution for now to find basic stuff and bing it to find more

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Man are you alright?

I just don't think the forums need any categorizing, why take it so personally?

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post: