Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
use terminal. devel-su then pkcon remove packagename-goes-here.
You don't even need devel-su. Weird but true. So much for Sailfish security.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You don't even need devel-su. Weird but true. So much for Sailfish security.
wrong. you need devel-su (devel-su -p would be enough, root is not required) on a normal scenario. But if you installed Warehouse it enables packagekit for everyone: https://github.com/custodian/orn-war...ackagekit.pkla

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
I stand corrected. Pkcon always worked for me without devel-su but I have now tried it on my wife's Jolla without Warehouse installed and indeed, it said "failed to obtain authentication". I correct my statement: so much for Warehouse security

Still, n900user259 wanted to remove a patch which is something you cannot install without Warehouse so chances are pkcon would work for him without devel-su.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
I am just giving 100% correct instructions.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
I am just giving 100% correct instructions.
In my opinion the only instructions worth giving.
And it worked like a charm.

This is a non-discussion anyway.
The question/discussion should be about why the patch was removed from Openrepos.net in the first place.

Last edited by n900user259; 2017-04-24 at 20:51. Reason: The point I was trying to make wasn't clear enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
@n900user259: The Patch was most likely removed from your device, because its RPM noted being not compatible with a SailfishOS version you choose to update to. BTW, "no", there cannot be any notification about such situations (RPM spec file conflicts during SailfishOS updates in general) without making SailfishOS updates interactive (which is definitely not desirable).

@pichlo: RPMs (no matter, if from openrepos.net or any other source) can be easily installed without Warehouse, e.g. in a file manager, by pkcon install / install-local, the rpm command etc. Hence devel-su, then pkcon remove is a generic way, which works in any situation.

Last edited by olf; 2017-04-25 at 18:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by olf View Post
@n900user259: The Patch was most likely removed from your device, because its RPM noted being not compatible with a SailfishOS version you choose to update to.
I don't know why you're explaining all of this. You clearly misunderstood my problem.
The patch was on my phone and working perfectly. I was able to unapply it and reapply without problems.
What I couldn't do however was uninstall it using Warehouse as the patch has been removed from Openrepos.net some time ago.
The only option left was the terminal for which coderus was so kind to give me the proper instructions (Thanks again Coderus).

What this shows is that the system has a flaw. If a developer removes software from Openrepos.net, people who have this software installed on their phone can't uninstall it using Warehouse. They will have to resort to the command line.

Not a problem for me but there are enough people who don't know what a cli is.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
@n900user259: Sorry, yes I completely mixed up that first point (and described the scenario of a SailfishOS update silently uninstalling RPMs).
And technically your assessment is absolutely correct.
But as Warehouse is third party software, one cannot blame the Jolla company for that (and I do not dare to blame the spare time developers on Openrepos.net, as I am very thankful for all the useful software they create).

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
I just did a factory reset and now I don't remember the name of the patch that made phone app always start with visible num pad.
Please, help!

Last edited by eson; 2017-04-25 at 07:04.

Originally Posted by eson View Post
I just did a factory reset and now I don't remember the name of the patch that made phone app always start with visible num pad.
Please, help!
Patch: Dialer Keypad on by default, perchance?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
patchmanager, sailfish os